Good center for KG 4.2 (not RC3)

maxspivak

Folks,

I discovered this forum yesterday and must say it's awesome for Klipsch owners. Also the new look of the Klipsch web site is so much better!

Anyhooo... I have a pair of KG 4.2 speakers that I bought when they just came out in '92 (maxed out two credit cards first year in college with audio stuff... but that's another story Smile.gif

I'm now looking for a good center to match this pair. If you've never heard 4.2's before, they have a very warm, mellow, laid-back sound... at least after 10 years of enjoyment.

I've been using the RC3 for several weeks now and must say I don't like it. It sounds tinny and harsh in comparison to the 4.2's. With white noise panning across the front speakers (Video Essentials title 8, chapter 8), the sound coming out of the center sounds like from a bullhorn, very in-your-face as compared the mains. Same story with 5 channel audio and dd/dts soundtracks.

Elsewhere on this forum the KLF C7 was suggested as a good match for the KG 4 but not the 4.2. Can anyone comment on the match with 4.2? Are there other good matches?

I don't have issues with KLF C7 size: it's a front projection system cwm32.gif. I'm more interested in as close a sonic match as possible. I did listen to the KLF C7 yesterday, but not at my house (that may be difficult). It did seem to sound better. (Thankfully I'm still within my 30 day return policy for the RC3.)

BTW, I'm driving all this stuff with the new Yamaha RXV 620. Seems very good so far...

Thx,

Max

I have a pair of 4.2 also. Dont you just love them.

Your best match is a KG2.2, the were made at the same time as the 4.2.

I found 1 on EBay about 6 months ago and the match is great. Paid about $200 with shipping.

Keep checking on Ebay they do pop up from time to time.

Good Luck

Earle

Yup.. I agree with Earle. I bought an Academy to go with ChorusII's, so I sold the KG2.2V to a friend who is using it with KG4.2's. Sounds outstanding together! Great center (should have kept it..can't have too many!)

Mike

I have a pair of KG5.5s (which uses the same tweeter as the KG4.2s) and I used to use a KV3. It's a real good match (and would be for you too) -- but I wanted a full range center so I found a single KG4.2 on eBay and bought it. Right now it's laying on it's side underneath my TV, but I will be building a new box soon (after I get my new RPTV) so the tweeter will be oriented properly.

Max - I'll echo STL's suggestion about getting another 4.2 for your center. Do you have room for that in the center -- possibly even in it's normal upright position? You said you're using a front projection system. Do you have a perforated screen that it can stand behind?

Doug

Get the KG 2.2 or 2.5. Available as either shielded or not. You can always shield the not "v" series your self. Get a single one for yourself, or a pair (would be easier to find), and sell the one you don't need, or save for 6.1 rear center channel.

I simply love the sound of these as centers. No need to get a big 'ol 4.2.

Troy

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LD Player

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

quote:

Originally posted by t-man:

No need to get a big 'ol 4.2.

Troy

True, Troy, but if the quest is for a perfect image across the front, what a great way to get it Smile.gif I had the chance to try a Forte center (on loan) to match my Forte fronts, and it sounded great. Plus, it eliminated one more potential area of incongruity. IMHO, of course, and to each them's own...

Doug

quote:

Get the KG 2.2 or 2.5. Available as either shielded or not. You can always shield the not "v" series your self.

FYI, the single KG4.2 I purchased was already video shielded. I fully expected that it would not be but was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up and found both drivers already had bucking magnets! I don't know if I got lucky or if all KG4.2s come that way though.

quote:

Get a single one for yourself, or a pair (would be easier to find), and sell the one you don't need, or save for 6.1 rear center channel.

I believe the 6.1 spec calls for two center rear speakers instead of just one.

quote:

I simply love the sound of these as centers. No need to get a big 'ol 4.2.

Why not use a big ol' KG4.2 if you have the room? Having the exact same horn in all three front speakers would be the optimum setup after all!

This message has been edited by STL on 06-04-2001 at 04:17 PM

Gentlemen,

In an effort to get my point and opinion across quickly, I may have confused some.

Of course, in an ideal situation, a center channel would be the same as the fronts. However, most people can't do this for several reasons. A large 4.2 would seemingly block the view of most televisions when placed in the middle. The alternative is to place it upside-down or on it's side (on top of TV)in order to get tweeters aligned with mains. Upside down looks a bit odd, and any women in the house would surely squeal. On it's side, the tractrix horn array is not aligned properly, and will give more vertical than horizontal imaging distribution. The other problem is that you would have a difficult time finding a single 4.2 for sale. This may frustrate you if you aren't willing to get a dedicated center channel like the 2.2 or 2.5v.

The solution to these problems has been to create center channels that can be placed on your TV for most people. If this is your need, then my recommendation for 2.5 / 2.2 remains. I don't think most people are really going to tell the difference between a 4.2 and 2.2 when used as a center, and set to "small" with most DVD and 5 channel stereo applications. I could be wrong, though. I haven't tried it.

I think many people are finding out that their 2.2/5 speakers are able to sell for more $ lately if they are split-up. Prices for these are nearly the same as I've seen 3.2 and 4.2s go for on ebay lately. It seems that center channel application may be the culprit. Especially since they work so darn well. I can't even tell mine is there (musically, and for HT).

Now, if you had the component parts of a 4.2, and wanted to build a custom cabinet, then that would be a cool idea. You could certainly create a very cool and awesome sounding center speaker! Would love to try something like that some-day.

STL, Sounds like you found a great speaker. Awesome that it was shielded for ya! I spent $50 a piece to do that to my 5.5s.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LD Player

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

quote:

I believe the 6.1 spec calls for two center rear speakers instead of just one.

to t-man's defence, 6.1 does imply only 1 rear center channel. 2 rear centers is what they call 7.1 though u can still only get at most 6.1 discrete channels w/ f.e. DTS-ES

------------------

go forth & hump the world

quote:

A large 4.2 would seemingly block the view of most televisions when placed in the middle. The alternative is to place it upside-down or on it's side (on top of TV)in order to get tweeters aligned with mains. Upside down looks a bit odd, and any women in the house would surely squeal. On it's side, the tractrix horn array is not aligned properly, and will give more vertical than horizontal imaging distribution. The other problem is that you would have a difficult time finding a single 4.2 for sale. This may frustrate you if you aren't willing to get a dedicated center channel like the 2.2 or 2.5v.

Troy - All your points are correct and valid. (BTW, I'm just exchanging a bit of friendly bulletin board banter, and by no means do I wish to imply any disrespect for your thoughts Smile.gif).

In this case, he may be able to use a 4.2 as a center sitting in its normal position, being that he has some type of front projection system. And yes, it could be unacceptable as far as WAF goes in many situations.

In my case, the suggestion someone gave me of using a Forte center was a mind- and eye-opener. I was locked into the traditional center-channel line of thinking. But when I looked at the possibility, it was totally doable. Again, though, it is circumstance-specific. In my case, I have room above my TV to vertically mount a Forte (rotated 180 degrees to put the horns on the same plane as the front speakers), and no appearance issue as it will blend in with a black cinema curtain that hangs across the front of my room.

In fact, I'll be picking up a second set of Forte's this weekend to put this into practice. I reckon I'll be selling a single Forte in the near future...

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by forresthump:

to t-man's defence, 6.1 does imply only 1 rear center channel. 2 rear centers is what they call 7.1 though u can still only get at most 6.1 discrete channels w/ f.e. DTS-ES

All this is really a little confusing I guess. In reality I was talking about Surround EX which is sometimes (incorrectly) refered to as 6.1. Surround EX uses a matrixed rear center so it's not a true discrete 6.1 format. Surround EX does indeed spec two rear speakers.

From http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/surround_ex.html (with bold & italic added):

"Surround EX is a process that decodes a back surround signal from the left and right surround channels on specially encoded DVD movie releases."

"For optimum results, THX recommends use of two THX Ultra certified dipole speakers for the back surrounds. However, allowing for customer preference, a pair of direct radiating speakers can also be used for the back surrounds under a new THX specification."

Gang,

Thanks for all your suggestions--keep'em coming. Very illuminating.

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

In this case, he may be able to use a 4.2 as a center sitting in its normal position, being that he has some type of front projection system. And yes, it could be unacceptable as far as WAF goes in many situations.

A real high speaker, like another 4.2 wouldn't work. My projector (JVC G-11U DILA) puts out a big picture. When in 4:3 mode, the bottom of the image is about 1.5' from floor. I can shift the image up a bit, but not enough for a 4.2. Screen not perforated either--those things are *expensive*! Mine is a DYI jobbie that's really good!

Good thing about the WAF issue: She loves movies, especially old ones. For her, the large image is paramount. Add to that a dedicated room for HT, and I'm a happy camper! Smile.gif

Max

maxspivak,

It sounds like you are handy (since you have a DYI screen) so you could easily build a new enclosure for a 4.2 (or 5.5 for that matter) that would be less than 1 foot. My KG4.2 is currently just laying on it's side -- but a new box is coming right after the new TV (which will likely be a 55" Mitsubishi or 56" Toshiba). Good luck!!

quote:

Originally posted by STL:

Originally posted by forresthump:

All this is really a little confusing I guess. In reality I was talking about Surround EX which is sometimes (incorrectly) refered to as 6.1. Surround EX uses a matrixed rear center so it's not a true discrete 6.1 format. Surround EX does indeed spec two rear speakers.

stl, that's for sure! just as it's technically incorrect for the receiver makers to use 7.1.

well for now anyway; we'll probably see 7.1 discrete channel encoded tracks & dsp in no time. it'll be awhile before i ever go for 6.1 let alone 7.1 discrete;

have a short backwall anyway cwm12.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

maxspivak,

I'm not sure about the KG2. I know it's a very different speaker with a passive radiator, and a boxy design. Check and see if bucking magnets are available. It might work. If it were me, I would hold out for the 2.2 or 2.5.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LD Player

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

quote:

Originally posted by maxspivak:

What do you guys think of the KG2 as a center matched with my KG 4.2's? Good match or continue searching/waiting for KG 2.2?

The KG2 uses the same tweeter as the KV1, but I would get a KV3 (or maybe a KV2) instead. Several KV models are currently listed on eBay ( http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&pb=&maxRecordsPerPage=100&ebaytag1=ebayreg&category0=293&ht=1&query=klip*+KV* ). These KV models use dual woofers so they'd likely "keep up" better with your 10inch woofer in the KG4.2s (than KG2 would).