I got a UPS for my system. Is this silly?

cdsang

I decided on getting a UPS so that if the power does go out while I am useing my stuff, my things should be fine. Also a USP seems to correct voltages(to a point), prevents surges, and cleans the power going to what I have it pluged to. The only worry is if your UPS can handle what you have. I'll be honest on this. I have a 1200 VA 670 watt UPS with my reciver, PS2, RSW15, and my little 14 inch TV all connected to it, and it hasn't turned its warning light on yet. I would like to get a stronger one, but this was the highest they had at the store. What are your thoughts about using a UPS(or a few) with a Home Theater system?

CD

I dont think getting a UPS system is silly at all! Christ I wish I had one when a power transformer went up in smoke down the street. The surge went right through the surge suppressor I had and blew up one of the internal amps in my Klipsch KSP-400. Klipsch is now waiting on parts for it and I am doubtful now if it can be repaired. The surge also did a number on my Denon amp, Freeking thing smells of burnt wire and now cuts out intermitently. I am unsure though if a UPS could withstand a big surge though. Anyone else out there know?

you may want to be careful, I would be sure the UPA generates "true" ac and not the psuedo ac some of them are designed for. These are not designed to be used with audio or the level/quality of power required by some amps/systems. I'm not sure the risks don't outweigh the gains. You have a monster bar listed in your equipment, that should be all you need for surge protection. I believe the ups will not help your sound and may in fact affect it negatively. Besides, monster warranties your stuff if it gets fried through one of their bars or power centers.

I am not an expert in this area, just sharing what I learend when I aksed the question a couple years ago.

here's some info:

According to the February 2002 issue of "audioXpress", these don't provide the sort of clean power that audio equipment requires.

This magazine says on page 36:

"They are designed for maximum efficiency to extend battery operation for as long as possible. There are two types: off-line and on-line. If the AC line is the primary source and the internal battery/inverter is the backup, the topology is known as an off-line UPS. If the UPS provides continuous inverter power from the mains, switching to battery when the main voltage sags, it is an on-line UPS.

The impedance of the internal inverter usually results in a flat-topped output voltage waveform where the peak output current occurs. The inverter may also have power factor correction (PFC), but the power-switching circuitry can introduce high-order harmonic distortion on the output power. Since the switching power supplies in PCs are fairly tolerant of line-voltage excursions, the inverter may not switch on until the mains voltage is pretty far afield - below 90V AC or above 140V AC."

(with reference to US 120V AC)

The AC Power Line and Audio Equipment Part 3 by Charles Hansen

audioXpress 2/02

That'd be a good idea to have the UPS for it(for some certain places' power isn't stable and it jumps every single day and their computers restart because of the power jumps, like my friend's dorm in school). The surge comes after the power went out(u pull like 30A power from a outlet and all turn on in the same time) also hurts(or even your house's fuse will be blown). Go ahead and pick a good UPS 9.gif

As previously posted, most UPSs provide square wave power in a battery back up situation. There are a few that provide sine wave AC power. A sine wave UPS would be the way to go, but I do not know which manufacturers produce them off the top of my head.

A good (sine wave) UPS will provide better protection than most surge supressors IMO.

I use a Panamax 4400 that can pass a full 20 amps to my system, but cuts the power when 140 volt spikes are sustained. Most power strips are limited to 15 amps, and seem to limit amplifier performance.

Bryston recommends that their amps be plugged directly into the wall, and back their amps with a 20 year tranferrable warranty. Bryston wants their amp to provide the dynmics that it is capable of provideing.

Bill

if your amplifier and/or system components maximum current draw is less than 15 amps total, then any surge protector/power conditioner that is rated for 15 amps will provide adequate power....

if you have a high power amp that draws over 15 amps then you need to have a 20 amp circuit wired from your main house panel powering that amplifier...

in that case i would still recommend a 20 amp surge protector.... a good 20 amp protector will pass a full 20 amps of power and not limit your amplifier in any way....

i also agree that using a ups for audio applications can be ok if the ups provides the "right kind of power"..... computers and network servers are much less picky if they get full sine wave power or not..... your audio equipment however can tell the difference and you will be able to hear the difference....

finally.... the surge protection included in a ups unit can be good or can be crap.... the two parts in one box are not related in any way....

my situation... i use a surge-x SX908 surge protector plugged into the wall...my tripplite internet office 500 is plugged into the surge-x unit and my computer is plugged into the tripplite ups.....

for audio/video i use a surge-x SX1115RT rackmount unit with remote system turn-on and turn-off... no ups in this sytem....

http://www.surgex.com

http://www.tripplite.com

• 1 month later...