off to see the wizard.....

Tom Mobley

Leaving early AM for Colorado Springs to pick up the KHorns I bought in this auction.

I dumped the 4-cylinder S-10 idea for a friends 98 Chevy 4WD Z-71 PU. This thing is absolutely loaded, leather interior and the whole bit. Main advantages: 350 cu. in. V-8, CD player and cruise control. The 4WD might come in handy up on Raton Pass too. 7600 feet, but no snow predicted Mon or Tues.

If it works out I'll post a shot or two from up there.

Tom

Tom,

Just in case you hadn't thought about it, the safest way to transport the Klipschorns is, IMHO, face-side down. That way they won't fall over, you'll have lower center of gravity, and less wind resistance. Make sure to take some heavy blankets to put underneath them in the bed, and a good tarp for over them. Or is the pickup covered? Then you need pillows or foam or something to keep them from sliding around.

You are going to have an incredible thrill once you have these guys hooked up in your house.

Drive safely.

Tom,

I'm gonna assume you check the Klipsch BB every morning before leaving the house..if so..here's my advice..I move stuff an awful lot in,be it in airplanes or in a pickup..I do hope the bed of the pickup has a shell..they will be a lot better protected! But in either case, top or no top..as mentioned above, make sure you have visqueen, blankets/padding to go around the speakers and a pallet or a piece of plywood between the Horns and the bed..what with the width of a standard P/U and the width of the KHorns, you're not gonna get them both face down side by side//they're probably gonna have to go on their sides. Remove the grilles on the side by removing the wingnuts preventing damage to the grilles..when you load the speakers side by side ensure you separate them with a piece of styrofoam..the wood finish can get rubbed thru blankets..and when you wrap the blankets/visqueen around them, make sure the visqueen is on the outside! Although it protects against the elements it is VERY abrasive! Last, but not least, lash them down with cargo straps to prevent shifting..but very importantly..place thick cardboard between the cargo straps and speakers where the straps cross! If you don't the force can really damage that wood!

I'm not near as knowledgable as most here concerning electronics, but I have been in the shipping business for 30 years!!

Hope this helps, and hey..welcome to the world of KHorns!! The best there is!!

Regards,

Steve

PS..if the Chev is a crew cab, and it's only two of you on the road trip, unscrew the top cabinet and stash em on the back seats! But belt 'em down in case of sudden stops!!