Repair Marantz or Replace with Rotel?

PKuziel

Ok Folks, In the ever continuing saga of my power surge problems. Ever since the power surge took out one of my KSP-400's I have noticed that both my Denon PMA560 and Marantz 7300ose has been acting super flakey. The electric company said they would replace but even though I really like the Marantz I am drawn to the Rotel rsx1055. Anyone have any experiance with the Rotel??

You might try this question over at the HT forum since the Rotel you are referring to is an AV receiver.

I find most AV receivers to be HUGE compromises in sound if listening to music and not using for HT duties. On the other hand, some are much better than others but the price does climb (see the MAXG post on "throw out the rule book"). I have not heard any of B&K's later designs since Ed Mutka supposedly left the company, but did think they were GREAT 2 Channel SS amps in their day. I have owned several of the older B&K products and found them built like a tank and problem free. Their MOSFET amps were very tube-like for SS and a GREAT used bargain as well. I give high marks to the 2 channel B&K St-140, ST-202 (a real sleeper), EX-442, and M200 Sonata Monoblocks. This series of B&K gear represents an amazing bargain sonics-wise and bests ADCOM in my experience (I have owned both).

Still, none of this deals with AV multi-channel sound, where the use of a single power supply for the entire nine yards doesnt do the design any favors.

kh

yes indeed, i had quite a bit of problems with rotel, if you already own it use it, but if you are in the market for a new one, than i would look elsewhere. rotel used to be an outstanding company, but the last few years they have had more than thier share of problems, and that statement came from thier salesmen. for me, i was lucky, when i brought my entire rotel system in for exchange (rotel admitted thier problems) i began the audition process, and seperates, or reciever, b&k just amayzed methe b&k receiver i purchased cost the same as my rotel rig, and believe it or not was an overall better performer, plus after 5-6 months of almost constant play, and continuious format changes it has been flawless, evertime i cant do something i find out it is because i need to open up another aspect of the processor. it is an really huge product, but of course it is not for everyone, the rotel is maybe 1/2 the price, unfortunatly it sounds it. for those who are confirmed seprate's fans, try a b&k12.gif

B&K? B&K AVR507 is like 3500.00 bucks. Yeah I like good sound but I don't have that sort of cash. This has been the first time I have heard about the Rotel problems. I had been looking at the RSX-1055 or possibly the RSX-1065, Too bad. Maybe I will just have them repair the Marantz. (I don't like having somthing like a HT reciever repaired because after a power spike who knows what else could be or is going to be wrong with it down the road.). This whole mess has my stomach in knots!

I own the Rotel RB-991 and the RMB-1066. Both are power amps.

RB-991 is about 1998 vintage 200WPC 2 channel. The power switch sometimes doesn't fully engague and I end up blowing out the fuses on the left side. Sounds great though.

The RMB-1066 is a 6 channel 60WPC amp that can be bridged to a three channel 150WPC amp. I bought this amp this past spring. I am very satisfied with it. The speaker and amplifier protection circuitry is much improved. Sound is as beefy as it should be.

I auditioned the RSX-1055 when I bought the RMB-1066. Unfortunately its hard to find good help these days. The sales person had a hard time setting it up properly so when I finally did get 2 channels to audition, one had a bad crackle (probably the sales guy again). I wouldn't hesitate to buy Rotel again. As you note, the price of entry is becoming steeper every day.

I did initially have a problem with my RB-991, but the dealer took it back in, sent it to the repair facility and gave it back to me with no charges. All was fixed, and it sounded better than before.

New product for Rotel this November is the RSDX-02 a DVD surroundsound receiver. No specs yet on the web site.

Not to flame B&K, but B&Ks preamp/processors I saw all had cheesy plastic boxes and were super light (indicating no heavy transformers with numerous windings). I hope this isn't the norm for B&K, but it turned me off to even being curious about that brand. The Rotels all have very good transformers and hence decent constant power supply to the circuits. Maybe not the best in the industry, but I would wager them over the B&Ks I saw. Sorry guys.

I stopped by Club Rotel to see what that board had to say. It would seem the only problems they have reported with the Rotel stuff is that they are having problems with the end user firmware upgrades. It would seem though that most of these problems are owner related (ie: did not load the firmware per the manufacturer instructions). I am leaning toward the Rotel but I am sure by the time this fiasco is over with that I will be leaning many different ways.

Thanks for all the responces

Paul

Paul,

You might consider some type of surge control before purchasing a new unit.Monster Cable guarantees replacement costs way beyond what my equipment will ever be worth.

If you're happy with the Marantz sound,consider the 8300(which I am pleased with) or 9200.

SSH