Pop-ups

3dzapper

Guest Anonymous

ou guys are the bomb, I'm checking both site and i'm shure i'll use one of them6.gif I'm just starting to become computer literate.

Thanks for the ideas

Smilin

OR, you could use Mozilla (free) and never get a pop-up, worm, or adware.

It has no mechanism that allows worms or adware and it's pop-up blocker is nearly perfect. I hate to borrow someone's PC and be forced to wade through the pop-ups in IESux!

----------------

On 11/12/2003 7:00:19 PM m00n wrote:

Spywhere sucks. I hate it and want to nuke the basturds that put that crap on my PC. I use
to get rid of spywhere. I ran it the some time ago and had over 300 objects identified on my PC.

----------------

you can go to download.com and do a search for spybot this will give you the software "spybot search and destroy 1.2". This software is free and has, so far, unlimited downloads for the definitions.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 9:22:20 PM John Albright wrote:

OR, you could use Mozilla (free) and never get a pop-up, worm, or adware.

It has no mechanism that allows worms or adware and it's pop-up blocker is nearly perfect. I hate to borrow someone's PC and be forced to wade through the pop-ups in IESux!

----------------

A-friggan-MEN! I use Mozilla exclusively now. I even put it on all my machines at work (including my Sun Solaris box). I have never, ever seen a pop-up ad appear.

BTW, did you see that Microsoft is now planning on including a pop-up blocker that is supposedly to come out with Windows XP service pack 2? Of course, that does jack-$#!+ for those of us that still uses Windows 2K. But, like you said - there is Mozilla. 9.gif

Reminds me, I need to put Version 1.5 all all these machines here at home.

OR

even though you have killed those spywares. still there will be a problem.

those one heck of tool bars and side bars.

i have a software in my PC that will create a log. then just post the log file to this forum. http://www.net-integration.net/forums.html

register and. put the thread to its proper room. type "ismy computer clean" as your title. and someone will confirm if your computer is clean.

want to get rid of those spywares? (eventhough you've run spybot SnD, there is still a possibility that those spywares will come back). so i suggest getting another software w/c i have.

IM me i can hook you up.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 10:03:18 PM m00n wrote:

skonopa

you naysayer...
2.gif

Even though it has flaws, I am a true microsoft guy!

----------------

I do my fair share of development for MS Windows. A project that I just started this week at work is done entirely in C++ using the MFC (we don't have any .NET at work, plus the government does not want to use it - in fact, I would not be surprised if everything will be on Linux within the next 5 years)

Given all the different platforms that I have worked on, ranging from DEC VAX/VMS to various flavers of Windows and DOS, I found the Windows to be the biggest PITA, mainly because they don't follow the same kinds of standards that everybody else uses (Microsoft - may I intruduce you to Posix?). Also, the Windows platforms where not anywhere near as stable as all those others I have worked on. However, it seems that Microsoft is finally getting things right with Windows 2K and on, although I have still manage to completely trash a Win2K box when the Unix box still chugged right along (albight slowly due to the excessive disk-caching) when I ran this one program I've written that read in a 2gig data file and tried to display it as a graphical plot.

However, I really do like thier developer tools. You'd be surprised at how many little programs I can whip together using Visual Basic, such as a little application I needed to go through source files and replace tabs with spaces. Building Dialogs is a lot easier using the dialog editor in Visual C++ than it is on the Unix boxes using UIM/X (A Motif based gui builder). I also like a lot of those wizards that will setup the message handlers for you and all you need to is go in and write the code that will execute on that message.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 10:41:05 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 11/12/2003 10:23:40 PM skonopa wrote:

I would not be surprised if everything will be on Linux within the next 5 years)

----------------

Paleeeeeeze.

----------------

I should've made this more clear, this is what I am seeing personally, at least in the Navy. I have been working here at this job for a little over 10 years now, and everything that I am seeing, they are moving towards open standards as well as open-source solutions. That to me, means Linux. All of the majar platforms that are used, such as HP, Sun, Concurrent, and so forth, are all moving towards Linux as thier platform OS. There are no indications that I see that indicates Microsoft will be a big player here. Yeah, it'll still be mostly used on PC's doing support type work, but I don't see it goiing ship-board, especially after that little fiasco with the Yorktown a couple of years back.

This is not some Linux zeolot or "ABMer" talking, this is somebody with over 10 years of experience in this talking.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 11:36:13 PM m00n wrote:

What happen 10 years ago?

----------------

When I first started there, all of the weapons systems were using the old MIL-SPEC machines, such as UYK/7s, UYK/43s, etc. Everything, including the OS was pretty much done in-house by the government (through contractors). The development was done on VAX/VMS systems. Gradually, they were moving to Unix based systems, and of course, all of the development work is on Unix - which is why I mostly do Unix work. There are some small, mostly support type functions, that are done on Windows - mainly because PC's are relatively cheap (compared to the million plus some of those MIL-SPEC machines go for).

Now, about the Yorktown, it seems that a windows NT left the ship dead in the water.

Needless to say, I am not a very big fan of Microsoft. Yeah, Windows is great if you want to play games or surf the net, but I sure as hell don't trust it to run a warship.