Tom's new old KHorns pics, large files

Tom Mobley

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love that huge wood squawker how does it compare to the LS squawker in size and sound?

Since you have a piano right there bet you can make some awesome recordings best home music reproduction system I ever heard was a recording made in the same room and played back shows just how good the system really is!

2.gif

Jim,

there is a direct connection from the piano to the KHorns via the wife. :) We've had it for a few years, it's a 1906 Kranich-Bach conservatory grand, six feet long. When we got it it was supposed to be a baby grand, but it grew during the delivery somehow.

I think there's going to have to be a rearranging of the layout soon, though.

It's funny, my six year old son has piano lessons with book and CD, it's hard to tell the difference between the live piano and the CD unless you're in the room looking. I noticed this with the LaScala's too.

Tom

The Klipsch woofers - Jensen, Tru-Sonic, or Electro-Voice have a resistance of 3.2 ohms or thereabouts. Putting them in the cabinet loads them down and runs the impedance up to 16 ohms. So your woofers are correct.

I tried putting some 16 ohm Altec 515s in my Shorthorns once - they almost disappeared - I guess I sent the impedance up into the 40s.

I embarrassed myself on this forum once by saying the Cornwalls had 8 ohm woofers. Actually, they're 4 ohm too - I didn't believe it until I pulled the back off one of mine and measured it.

The tweeters I've seen in this vintage Klipsch have been 16 ohms. However, it has been a while since the 16 ohm voice coil was available to replace a blown unit, and Klipsch has cheerfully used 8 ohm units in repairs. I don't think it makes much difference in real life.

16 ohms: drivers connected in series, maybe? 4 ohm tweeter with 4 ohm mid with 8 ohm woofer? can you check the impedance on the back of the drivers?

If you've got an 8 ohm amp, it should be fine. Probably would work very well.

Check on the crossover to locate the pos. and neg. terminal screws. You might see that (neg) of the tweeter is connected to the (pos.) of the midhorn -- if that's how the crossover is labeled. Then the (neg.) end of the mid would be connected to the (pos.) of the woofer. Curious!

Tom,

I have never seen a schematic for those networks.

That is the Klipschorn that got me hooked on them at a very early age. I started listening to that model

when I was 10 years old. I remember the wooden mid horn. I got to listen to them untill I was 18. The boy that lived next door to me was my age and we were rather tight. His father had those K-Horns and a electronics shop. My father had a wood shop. Get the idea here? When we were 12 years old we started building speaker cabinets and used the amps that his father took in as trade ins. I think we supplied all the neighbor hood kids with their first stereos. Then it spread into high school. The kids were mowing lawns to earn money to buy are rejects. We didn't have a clue what a bass horn was, but we hand alot of fun. I'm sorry for rambling on here, but your Klipschorns bring back memories.

Q-man,

Sorry for rambling? Never, I think it's great.

Erik,

I think CaptnBob has the answer on the woofer impedance. I'm going to sit down and draw out the schematic when I tear down the boxes for refinish.

Leo,

They do. there's a killer sweet spot. I need a bigger room, actually, a wider room. the corners are 13 feet apart, center-to-center on the grilles is about nine feet. The sweet spot is about nine feet out, the whole thing needs to be bigger.

Tom

Tom:

I've just been curious about the impedance issue.The overall impedance, at least as far as other multidriver systems I've seen/used that use dividing networks, is influenced by the nominal impedance of all the drivers used. The Klipsch networks are setup to deliver power to each driver by way of a common input, or one amp. That means the driver will have aspects of the input signal in common. The way the drivers are connected (series connection or parallel)is going to determine the nominal impedance of the whole system. I don't believe the impedance is established by one driver alone....................but heck if I know!1.gif

That smoke smell would bug me to. I collect and rebuild old clocks, and can tell immediately what kind of environment (ambient odors!)it lived in. But the history always far outweighs any of that!