Tom's new old KHorns pics, large files

Tom Mobley

I can't believe how much BIGGER these things sound than the LaScala's I just pulled out of the same corners.

All those familiar adjectives come immediately into mind, effortless, transparent, dominating, I've never heard anything like this at all. turning the vol knob on the 222-C up to noon results in live concert levels and impact.

I'm playing music I know well, stuff with lots of detail and easily hearing stuff I never heard before, even with the LS.

Balance, the dynamics don't overwhelm the detail, nothing gets lost even at high volumes.

Coming up, Krall and Coltrane.

I'm really enjoying this, and now the wife comes up with the idea to move the LS to family room as mains for the HT, moving my beloved Heresy's to the rear channel. I didn't even know she knew of that stuff. Wonders never cease.

Tom

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom,

Thanks for the pictures. I picked up a 50's or early 60's basshorn that has the same motorboard and angle iron held in with wing nuts. I was wondering if this was someones mod who wanted to make quick changes. I thought someone might have been experimenting with a 3" and 6" slot. Now I know it is how Klipsch did it back then.

That was quite a drive to go pick them up.

Q-man,

that looks like an assembly technique deal to me. there's eight screws holding the driver to the board, be a real PITA to do in the bass bin. with this deal they can screw down the driver on the bench, assemble it into the cabinet with a couple wing nuts. save a lot of time.

Doyou know what's deal with these being labeled as 16 Ohm? The woofers had about 2.5 Ohms of resistance, about right for a 4-Ohm unit.

have you ever seen a schematic for a K-500-5000 crossover? This thing has two big inductors on it, along with three caps and the usual T23 tranny. I'm going to have to sit down and noodle it out.

Thanks for all your positive comments, guys. I can't believe how sweet sounding thesethings are on soft stuff without losing the ability to slam the hard stuff. Krall sounds like she's in the living room.

Tom

Rick, the doors have some kind of nice weatherstrip on them, looks OK for now.

The guys I got them from had taken the doors off to get pics of the drivers, lost most of the screws. I noticed it at their little warehouse but didn't see any point in making an issue of it since the screws weren't laying around anywhere. THe screws thay put back in were a size larger, #10 instead of #8, I figured all the holes would be stripped out, I've heard of this before. I had a couple samples so I went over to HD and got 16 #8 x 1&1/4" wood screws, worked perfect, no stripped out holes. the screws they put in had threads all the way to the heads and were a little short, so they tighened up in the door without ever going to the bottom of the hole in the cabinet. I just plain got lucky there.

One other nice thing, these don't show any sign of water damage on the bottoms. I've heard of a few that were in a basement that got a couple inches of water in it. Bummer that would be. That was the only thing I really inspected for at the pick-up place. Everything else looked just like the auction pics.

Tom

Tom,

Congratulations on the purchase of your rare wood-horned Klipschorns!

1700 miles to get pick them up huh? I only had to drive 1000 miles to pick up mine but I had to contend with horrible New England weather and the DC sniper so I guess we're even2.gif

Post some more listening impressions vs the 'Scalas when you have some more listening time.

Jeff

Craig, yeah, that's a Simpson 260. I got it to work with my Fluke. It's pretty cool, but works a lot different froma a Fluke. It actually puts a noticeable amount of current into a ckt when measuring resistance. I could hear a tick out of the K55's and the woofer every time I touched the leads. That's when I knew the drivers were good. :) Figures you'd be the one to notice that, that's why I left it on there.

I'm really enjoying these things. They are soooo sweet on the female voices and can still pound like crazy on the hard stuff.

Tom

Well, it was 1700 round trip. Worst thing I had to put up with was the cold and the nasty crosswinds on I-25 coming south out of Colorado Springs. I had the speakers wrapped in old comforters, face to face standing up, covered in heavy visqueen, strapped together and strapped down to the pickup right behind the cab. The whole upper sections stuck up above the cab roof. The wind was blowing me all over the road and shredded the plastic. I ended up stopping at some little town about 50 miles north of Santa Fe and re-doing the whole thing. pulled the tops off, laid the bins face down crosswise in the bed, one upper right behind them pinched in by the tailgate. The other top and all the grilles rode in the cab.

The people who owned the gas station kept coming out and staring at me while I was tearing them down, it was like I was working on a UFO or something out there, I guess. It was hilarious. It must have been blowing 40MPH, it was awful trying to do anything out there. I hate wind. I could never live someplace windy.

Tom

Tom

Like the rest say, congrats!! The KHorn nirvana is real! I'll never trade mine in! Those are some great speakers ya got there!!

As for the smoke smell, the refinishing will get rid of what's in the wood..as for the grilles, I have some Heresys that I got, and they had that smell..taking my wife's advice, I saturated the grilles w/Febreeze (where's that trademark key??) and let them dry..the smell was almost gone..try a few applications and it will disappear!

Enjoy yer new speaks!!

Regards,

Steve

The Jensen woofers look mint beutiful. The angle irons hold bass board tight in place. be shure to mark at edge of bass board with a pencil line. So that board is always centered when sliding out for inspection. OR swapping woofers. The impedence of woofer is correct.

Maron,

Do you know how these things turn out to be 16 ohm when the woofer is only 4 ohm? I want to understand this deal. Looks like the woofer is 4ohm, the mid K55V is 16 and the K77 tweeter is 8, judging from the DC resistance.

Can you shed any light? Or anybody who has knowledge of this?

Tom

I too am confused about the Jensen woofer. You are correct about the K55 being 16 Ohms and the K77 being 8 Ohms.

I always thought that the network in these older models was designed to work with this 16 Ohm woofer. That when you changed to the newer K33 4 Ohm woofer that it would require a network change. I'll have to look at the old Dope From Hope page that I once posted on this Forum. I do recall it offering the K33 as an upgrade or update, but I can't recall anything mentioned about changing the network.