Banana Plug Pics for you guys

Orange Peel

Yeah they hold VERY tightly, as tight as you crank down the screw that holds the wire in there 9.gif And yes, the y-splitter is for my 3 SVS's, I have one powered 20-39 PC+ that get's the Monster Cable MonsterBass 400 cable on one end, and the other side is a Better Cables Silver Serpant cable going to the Samson S1000 powering my Dual SVS 20-39 CS's. 9.gif nice eye, I was wondering if anyone would notice anything else going on in the pic. 2.gif

Bill - thanks for the compliments, I like the way it's coming together, looks clean back there now. And no offense taken, some companies think people can't handle all the "ins and outs" so they need to do it for them, pooh on that 1.gif

Steelerfan - Not sure on bi-amping, I assume there's more than one pre-out for an amp, but there's only one pre-out for a sub I know that. That's why I have the sliptter to run multiple subs. If the receiver only have one pre-out for an amp, then that's what you would have to do I would guess, sounds logical.

Doug - Yep IXOS bi-wire, good eye, another thing I was wondering if someone would see. My RF-3's I got from Wes on this board came with the wire so I have been using it ever since and kept them for my RF-7's, they sound great, so no reason to change 9.gif

----------------

On 11/23/2003 11:26:17 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Yeah they hold VERY tightly, as tight as you crank down the screw that holds the wire in there
9.gif
And yes, the y-splitter is for my 3 SVS's, I have one powered 20-39 PC+ that get's the Monster Cable MonsterBass 400 cable on one end, and the other side is a Better Cables Silver Serpant cable going to the Samson S1000 powering my Dual SVS 20-39 CS's.
9.gif
nice eye, I was wondering if anyone would notice anything else going on in the pic.
2.gif

----------------

Well I just got 3pairs of dayton banana plugs and now the new pics cursed me to buy another one 9.gif

You said there's 3 Sub?? How big is your room!?!?

----------------

On 11/24/2003 2:45:02 PM Orange Peel wrote:

These plugs are awesome!! As for the subs, yep 3 SVS 20-39's, my room is quite large, 25' deep, 25' wide plus the door area, and 8' ceilings, with openings to the kitchen, hallway and bedroom. 3 seem to be doing better than 1 which is what I used to have
9.gif

----------------

Stopping myself from pressing the "buy it now" button and wait until I get new center speakers 14.gif

No wonder you need 3sub 9.gif

My room is just 25'x15' and 7-8feet for ceiling(bedroom that is, nothing else.....

Nice looking install. How were you connecting the cables prior to getting the bananas? Do you think there is a difference using those plugs? Do you think those type with the screw down provides good contact and enough surface area contact? I use the compression type bananas, but yours are better looking. Thanks

Spacecowboy - Before the GLS plugs I was using Monster Cable banana plugs, the RF-7's were on the twist on style Monster ones, and the rest were the crimp on kind. I thought they were ok, but the rubber surrounding on the plug itself seemed a little cheap to me, and some sucked and wouldn't stay on. I just felt they looked and felt a little cheap. I saw the ebay auction for these and noticed the style and look, and they looked great, I like the screw in holder style since you can reuse them if you need to change wire, and you can really get then to stay tight, etc. And for $29 you get 20 plugs, a GREAT deal. So I tried them out and they are 110x's better in quality than the Monster ones I think, A LOT heavier and more solid feeling, I don't notice a huge difference with sound quality, but I also don't notice any less quality, so they perform the same or better and cost a lot less. Plus they look GREAT! 9.gif

I think they screw down to PLENTY of contact, I folded the thinner wire I have to make it fill the hole more, works great, only the rears are folded, the wire that is incased in the blue plastic you see in the pic.

What are the compression type plugs you have? Not sure what you mean, but might if I see them 2.gif You wouldn't be sorry with these ones I promise, solid pieces and cheap, that's the best part, if you don't like them you are out $30, big deal, you would get 4 plugs of Monster Cable ones for that, not 20 And these are color coded like the MC ones, but nicer than the rubber crap boot thing 11.gif

OP, I grabbed a set of these too.

I have a couple pair really nice Monster plugs that I got back in the 80's before Monster became the Microsoft of overpriced wares. Designed to terminate a spade lug at right angles to the banana. Gold plated. They would probably go for $100 a pair now, if they even make them.

These plugs look good enough and will make life a lot easier with all these #%^& speakers @ 4 connectors per each.

Thanks for the pointer!

Well, this is basically what I use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-306

The top half unscrews, the cable goes in from the bottom, and the exposed wires kinda fold down on a cone, then the top half screws back on "compressing" everything together.

Bananas do make for a clean look, plus it's a real pain to feed some of that wire into the binding posts. The only time I really utilize them is switching my only pair of mains between HT and 2-channel; it's a snap.

If I could get 4 of the ones you got I'd try 'em, don't know if I need 20 though.

Later

• 2 months later...