Some help requested from you Tube Gurus !

arj

Hi,

I Currently have a SS setup of a NAD320 with my Klipsch Rf3's. after some doubts am thinking of going the tube way as i got a chance to hear one only now and was floored !

Question is:

Which is the component which brings on the "Tube Sound"is it the pre Amp or the power Amp ?

I have 3 choices

1. Rid the current Amp and get a Int Tube Amp

2. use my current Amp as a Pre with a Tube Power amp

3. Use a Tube Pre-Amp and the current NAD as a power Amp

I know option 1 would be the most suitable, but my question is which of the options 2 & 3 would make more sense ?

This might be quite basic for you folks, but i have thought myself up into a big mass of confusion !!!

Aside:My current setup with some basic room tretment is actually quite good...but the Bug hath Bitten.. 12.gif

Thank You :)

Hi,

I have a Norh tube amp (see below) which I consider a nice entree into the tube world. If I remember correctly the price was 400$ including shipment from Taiwan. site : http://www.norh.com/

You can also check : www.decware.com

this site contains lots of tubeamp info.

For the tube sound I would go 1 or 2 definitly not 3

Best regards ... Jef

• Like 1

To add to the confusion I both agree and disagree.

No argument with the idea of using a tube integrated. I use an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT and assuming tube separates are outside of your budget a really decent tube integrated can be had new anywhere from $400.00 on up with plenty of good options in the $400.00 - $1500.00 range.

Alternatively some really nice vintage stuff can be had from about $250.00 - $ 500.00.

If you intend to go the mix and match route buy a nice tube preamp and drive your NAD with it. I believe that the preamp has more influence on the overall sound of an amp than does the power amp. That said I feel you will be more sonically satisfied by going to an all tube setup.

Ahhh BS!! - Get a nice tube integrated !

Sorry my evil twin Maximillian Mullard got control of the keyboard for a moment 11.gif

Lynnm,

"No argument with the idea of using a tube integrated. I use an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT"

I use the ASL pieces listed in my sig and am quite satisifed with the performance for the value. For some reason, I'd like to experiment with an integrated; have you been pleased with the one you have? Think I would notice any improvement? Any reason you went with ASL over other brands?

Thanks

I went with the AQ1003DT simply because I walked into The Audio Room in Calgary Alberta ( admittedly on the prowl for hot glass ) and heard a pair of very good but rather low efficiency MM deCapos absolutely singing ! I asked Pete what he was using to drive them and he said "That tube integrated thing on the rack over there. F'ing thing certainly sounds a damned sight more pricey than it is!" That lead to some more listening and finally to an order.

As far as upgrading that depends on what if anything is missing in the sound at present. You certainly won't regret moving up to a bit more horsepower if you need it but the money might be better spent in other areas of your system.

Lynn, didn's know you also had an evil twin.

On the ASL integrated, I have at times wondered if a currently manufactured amplifier has some user friendly advantage compared to vintage. Reminds me a little of trying to drive a vintage car every day. They sometimes need enough TLC to keep them going that they aren't always convenient.

Try acquiring an HH Scott 299 C or D integrated tube amp on eBay. They are available most of the time and are relatively cheap. I hear that they sound fantastic driving Klipsch speakers.

You might want to send it in to Craig (NOS Valves) after you buy it for a checkup if you decide to go this route.

or

----------------

On 11/24/2003 11:54:23 AM arj wrote:

Hi,

I Currently have a SS setup of a NAD320 with my Klipsch Rf3's. after some doubts am thinking of going the tube way as i got a chance to hear one only now and was floored !

Question is:

Which is the component which brings on the "Tube Sound"is it the pre Amp or the power Amp ?

I have 3 choices

1. Rid the current Amp and get a Int Tube Amp

2. use my current Amp as a Pre with a Tube Power amp

3. Use a Tube Pre-Amp and the current NAD as a power Amp

I know option 1 would be the most suitable, but my question is which of the options 2 & 3 would make more sense ?

This might be quite basic for you folks, but i have thought myself up into a big mass of confusion !!!

Aside:My current setup with some basic room tretment is actually quite good...but the Bug hath Bitten..
12.gif

Thank You
:)

----------------