battle of the subs

ric

----------------

On 11/26/2003 9:14:26 AM ric wrote:

im trying to find any pdfs or reviews that i can compare the VELODYNE CHT12 vs. the KLIPSCH RSW12. any info would be welcome. if you have a klipsch rsw12 let me know how you would rate it. thanks ahead of time...Ric
----------------

I don't know if it's ever been reviewed, but the RSW12 is a much better sub than the CHT12. The KSW12 is better competition for the CHT12. Something like the HGS12 would be better competition for the RSW12.

ric,

Let me tell you someting here,the RSW12 whips the CHT12 like it was a mule.Not even close,the RSW12 is cleaner,has more pounch and goes deeper with power.And is of better quality,from the amp to the woofer and cabinet.

To compete with the RSW12 you have to get a SPL1200,but it costs more.And a HGS12 or DigitalDrive 12 costs even more.Then a Sunfire Signature whips them both.

If I was given a choice I would not even waste any time,RSW12 right away.

BTW I have the RSW10,12 and 15 plus the Velodynhe HGS18 and SPL1000.I know both brands very well,and tested CHT subs(12 and 15 at home).Yep little escapes my ears.1.gif

----------------

On 11/27/2003 12:07:50 AM slowjoe24 wrote:

Typo...............I mean the RW-12. The one with the new "Corner Port". Also, what is an expected price of the RW-12?
----------------

Any of the SVS would be a better performer than the RW12, but that shouldn't come as any surpise. More port area, way more internal volume, and probably a driver with more linear throw. Also add in the fact that you get more value due to the fact SVS sells internet direct and it makes it a no brainer. Like I said above, if you can tolerate the size then go with SVS.

"Comparing SVS to RSW is like comparing apples to oranges, the tubes have the depth, but the boxes have the mid-bass (60-100Hz) punch."

Another superb post! Do you ever had an SVS Ultra at home,do you ever had a RSW15 at home? Did you test both at home? Probably not,you just read what some newbs fart out.

The SVS Ultra goes to 16Hz with power,the RSW15 goes to 25Hz with power.So your mid bass joke does not apply.

TheEAR is correct that the RSW's do play 25Hz with authority... but perhaps have gotten their reputation of being a punchy subs due to a slight mid bass peak.

FabFrankie posted a Tom NOUSAINE subwoofer data list in this thread, and note the RSW's SPL level in the 20-25Hz region. Not bad.

I think the buzz on the SVS tubes is the price/performance ratio... or in other words, you'll get higher model for the same amount of money. But in life there is no free lunch, and they cost less as they mostly have less expensive finishes and are much larger (it cost $ to get powerful bass in a small box). The same applies to guys who build their own subs once you factor in time...

Later...

Rob

Well I can only compare what I have with what I have heard. I have the svs 2531 pci and I have heard the RSW series for several hours and I must say that I prefer them for music over my svs. For movies, well couldn't tell much of a difference, but it was harder to compare that aspect since I didn't have them side by side. The RF7's that I compared them with just seemed to blend nicer with the Klipsch subs for music. I would of definetely been happy if I had purchased a Klipsch sub instead of an svs. Not saying that I am not happy with my svs, but that the klipsch's are no slouchers.