Why do they say that LP's are superior to CD???

Klipsch RF7

In defense of DrWho, and to appreciate multi mic setups and recordings, I would point to Celtic music. I have heard some great music that uses instruments that would be totally missing in a live setting if not for the use of amps and good PA work, and missing in a studio recording if not for the same thing. For instance, a Celtic harp is quiet - extremely so, but can and has been used in newer symphonic works.

Other instruments, normally used in small ensembles or as solo instruments, can now be used in the context of larger groups. Here the use of multiple mics is more than important. Using a Kalimba (thumb piano) is another one. Mix that in with a real piano. Try to hear it in a concert hall with any other instrument playing.

You have to balance that against the engineer becoming musician.

I don't think most people neccesarily likes room "noise". You can get an incredible 3D soundstage with no room noise. Many home studios have way lower noise floors than some of the older big name studios had/have. It's just hard to fit an orchestra into my house to record them. I have a recording of Janos Starker , doing the Bach suites for solo cello. This is considered by many to be the best recording of these pieces. Recorded in the early '60s, on some passages you can hear some low frequency content that may be traffic, a door closing somewhere prehaps. I was listening on headphones one night and thought someone was out on the back deck. One wonders why he wasn't recorded in a better room, but maybe there wasn't one. Still, his preformance is outstanding.

Just a few more rambling thoughts.

Marvel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what does everyone think about Binaural recordings? I know the problem (or may not be a problem if you own a nice headphone setup) with this is you need headphones but wouldn't that be the only way to ever truly hear what a pair of ears would hear at an event?

----------------

I don't recall which lp it was but I have a Chicago lp that may be the worst recording I've ever heard.

----------------

Interestingly, one of the later Chicago tours ('77?) had the worst sound system (the unlamented 'flying stacks') and mix of any rock performance I ever heard. 8.gif

Someone associated with the band had a plastic ear. Wonder why no one called him on it?