Building a Heritage HT System-Need Opinions

mjc

I have a line on a pair of 80s vintage Cornwalls and late 70s vintage La Scalas. I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver from the mid 90s to power the speakers. Questions: which speakers would you use as fronts/rears? What about recommendations for Center and Sub speakers. Also, are there any "technical" issues I need to be aware of when wiring all these different speakers together? I used to be good at this kinda stuff, but stereo and HT technology has left me in the dust.

ALL comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

There's a single Heresy II on the Bay right now in case you're interested in using it as a center.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3062805150&category=14993

----------------

On 11/29/2003 2:07:50 PM michael hurd wrote:

That's a tough one! What is your overall budget? I would probably suggest that you use the lascalla's as the main l/r pair and the cornwalls as rears. If you can find a pair, or a single heresy, that would do for center duties. Of course, do you have the room for all these speakers and electronics?

----------------

MJC

Optimum - Use the LAS for mains, find a 3rd LAS for a center and use the CW's for rears. Having 3 of the same speaker accross the front IMO gives the best sound.

IF you want to go 6.1 some day, use the LAS for mains, a CW as a Front center, the second CW as a rear center, then get a pair of CWs or Heresys for rears. The CW will sound VERY nice in between your LAS's.

Don't forget subs, The SVS works great with Heritage.

As for wireing, if you have a 5.1 receiver, you should have speaker posts on the back for each speaker, just wire it up to each designated speaker.

Receivers, Processors have come a long way in the last 3-4 years, you may want to upgrade and dump the old receiver. Depending on your budget, buy a great processor like the Lexicon, and run a good multi channel or multiple mono amps to bring out the best your Heritage has to offer.

good luck on your project.

JM

You can see what I've done. Initially, I had La Scalas for rear channels, too. My room is 16x18x21x19 (not square), so I was a bit crowded. It sounded great, though! If you use Heresies, like I am now, you will want to modify the crossover to attenuate the squawker and tweeter. As designed, they are bright and don't match the La Scalas well. I will show you how when you get ready.

No matter which center and surrounds you choose, make sure the squawker and tweeter are the same in all of them to maintain timbre match.

I'd use the La Scalas for mains, add a Heresy center and use the Cornwalls for surrounds.

That leaves subwoofers, get at least 2. You will need the biggest, hairiest subwoofers you can obtain. The biggest reason you want them is so they will be operating in a low effort, low distortion mode most of the time. Then, they will be most likely to have as little distortion as your La Scalas have. The other reason for hairy subs is so they will at least have a prayer of matching the output of 4 big Klipsch. You are going to want 120+ dB at 30 Hz. My 2 VMPS subs should be hitting 122 dB at 1 m and 450 watts each. They are 4 dB below 1kHz at 16 Hz in my room.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/28/2003 8:34:34 PM mjc wrote:

I have a line on a pair of 80s vintage Cornwalls and late 70s vintage La Scalas. I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver from the mid 90s to power the speakers. Questions: which speakers would you use as fronts/rears? What about recommendations for Center and Sub speakers. Also, are there any "technical" issues I need to be aware of when wiring all these different speakers together? I used to be good at this kinda stuff, but stereo and HT technology has left me in the dust.

ALL comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

----------------

mjc,

I agree with most on this topic, la scala, for the

front, heresy for thecenter, But I feel you need a pair to get enough sound, 1 was not enough for me, and the cornwall for the rear. of course if you have the room, the best HT is the same speakers X at least 5. That is what I am putting together myself with cornwall's because I do not have enogh roon for the larger(deeper) la scala or klipschorn. At leat try to have the same up front!!!

Just wanted to throw in the fact that you can enjoy 5.1 even if you don't currently have a centre (with 4 channels).

The centre is there to widen the "sweet" spot... so if you don't have one for now you can run the centre as "phantom" where it's signal gets sent to the Main L/R channels. The only drawback is that you have to sit centred to get the full effect, exactly like for stereo.

A subwoofer will make the LaScalas come alive for both HT and music... and is highly recommended.

Later...

Rob