Looking for a new Amp - suggestions?

Darren

Hello to all. This is my first post, but I've watched the board for a while and have already learned a bit.

I recently upgraded my speakers to Klipsch Reference 7's (main, center, surround) with an RSW-12 subwoofer. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 intergrated Amp, but I've been told this may not be the best match for these speakers. I've noted that I don't get as much base out of the RF-7's as I expected, even though the amp is over 100w / channel. The A1 was Yamaha's flag-ship Amp a few years ago, but I'm looking for a better match to these speakers. I like the room savings of an integrated amp and would buy one again, but have no objections to separates if there's a real benefit. Price isn't a really a limitation (within reason) - just want something to match the speakers.

Any ideas / suggestions to get me started? Thanks - much appreciated!

Ok Darren, first things first, as far as separates vs integrated and receivers go, is that the amplification and the processor share the same chassis vs a separate amp having more room for bigger internal parts and amplification for more power.I have read in this forum that yamaha is not a good match for klipsch,personally I prefer denon their highend receiver offer 170x7,Sunfire ultimate receiver offers 200x7.When talking amps B&K gets alot of prasis in this forum, rotel,parasound,adcom,are also very good,power range between 125to200 watts per channel.If you take this route you will need a processor remember price was not a limitation.Good luck 3.gif

i run yammi on rf 3's and it sounds awesome, let your ears be the judge, it just sounds to me like you need to tweak the bass managemant a bit, i am just running a yammi mini and the bass can be at times overpowering, do not spend money on opinion, in the end you have to make your ears happy, and if you do end up going the new route take your time, and read about all prospective machines, and than audition everything, plus there are plenty of sites on line reviewing equipment,many by users, not just "audiophiles", good luck12.gif

Good advice from all - thanks. Will definitely audition the amps before buying (I've made the mistake of not doing that once - once is enough). Still trying to narrow the field down and appreciate the options already given (and more are still appreciated). I'll start some on-line reviews of those now and try to get down to a reasonable few to test out.

Many thanks!

1.gif

Darren, my Yamaha A1000 provides plenty of bass and has less power (80W per channel) than your A1. So if it's bass you lack then you must have some other problem. The trouble with my Yamaha is brightness. It's even worse with the my RF-7's than it was with my

ForteII's.

I heard the RF-7's with the B&K 507 in the showroom and let me tell they sounded teriffic! I vote B&K!

I've also heard good things about Halo with the RF-7 but haven't had a chance to listen to that combination myself.

I'll play with the base settings some more, but the A1 is pretty simple in regards to base management. Unless I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time), you only have a couple options - set the speakers for "large" for full range, or "small" to set the cross over at 90. I have the RF's set to large. Also made sure the low frequency was going to BOTH sub and mains. Anything else you can think of to work the base issue?

Getting a lot of good reports on the B&K's. Will try to demo those in the next week or so.

Thanks again

I've always looked for power in the "watts" rating, but I'm hearing more and more about the benefits of "high-current" power. Some of the amps I've researched don't even list that measure (probably a bad sign). Harmon Kardon, on the other hand, seem to boast about it.

Is this important, and if so, what makers should I be looking into?

Darren,

I don't know if you have access to this Brand, I like Creek Integrated Amps...............smalll, powerful enough, and budget wise ,to me the best bang for the buck! It cousin in another guise is the Cambridge Audio.........uses the same componets, and costs even less . Just my 2 Cents.

Good Luck.

Darren, Although the DSP-A1 is a few years old, it was a "Flagship" receiver. You would have to spend some serious money to match what you currently have. The DSP-A1 is showing it's age with limited video in and out's, and no "new" (notice I didn't say better) audio formats, but it is still a very nice piece in and of itself. I have the same receiver in the bedroom system because I wanted something to support the multiple video formats in the theater. I currently own the B&K Ref30 and use a Parasound 2205 for power. I think separates would be the next logical progression if you're looking to upgrade. I have, or have had receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and HK, and have not heard a significant difference between any of them. They all sounded great with the Klipsch. When I moved into the B&K pre, there was a definate improvement in quality of sound and the Parasound was a huge improvement in the quantity of power.

----------------

On 11/29/2003 1:15:25 AM Darren wrote:

I recently upgraded my speakers to Klipsch Reference 7's (main, center, surround) with an RSW-12 subwoofer.

I've noted that I don't get as much base out of the RF-7's as I expected, even though the amp is over 100w / channel.

----------------

I have never heard the RF-7's myself, but everything I have read on this board says they are not bass shy at all, especially with a sub. Is it possible that you have one of the the 3 out of phase?

Try this... Disconnect the sub & set the receiver to "no sub". You should have all the bass you need for most music. If not, check & maybe reverse one of the speaker wires & try it again.

Also, does the RSW-12 have a phase switch? That may also be the problem.

Actually, I get plenty of base with the sub (unbelievable actually) - I'm just not getting the big base from the RF-7's that I expected. I think I need to tinker with the base management this weekend. Still looking to upgrade the amp, but want to get the best out of the A1 in the mean time.

Thanks

I would certainly be open to selling it, but the shipping cost would exceed the sales price! (I currently live in the Middle East).

Speaking of which, my A1 is multi-current (110 - 240 with 4 settings along the range). All the amps I've seen over here are 220 or 240. When I move back state-side, I'd have to run it through a step-up voltage regulator. Any idea if that impacts the sound quality?