Re-cone 44 yr-old 15WKs?

LarryC

I'm thinking about trying for an old, old pair (1959) of E-V 15WK's available on e-bay. The auction ends tomorrow (12/2). I'm very curious about how these sound, having been very impressed with them back then. My K-horns are vintage 1962, have K-33Es.

However, one of the two woofs has a tear in the cone near the rim and the paper looks old and deteriorated-- I'm told it, and probably both, would have to be re-coned. Re-coning kits for the 15W, let alone the 15WK, are no longer available. In fact, very few involved with E-V speakers today even know about the 15WK, the Klipsch version.

The only way to re-cone these is to use a "generic" re-coning kit. Someone, in Michigan I think, recones vintage E-V woofers. The 15WK was supposed to have a 3.2 ohm voice coil and to be for horn-loading only; she is aware of the 3.2 ohm voice coil, and will match the the one that's in there as closely as possible. Still, it's a generic cone replacement.

So ---- is this worth pursuing to try to satisfy my curiosity about the sound of the E-V 15WK woofers? Not exactly cost-effective, by the time I win an auction and get them reconed, for sure! What do folks think?

----------------

On 12/1/2003 11:44:15 AM larryclare wrote:

I'm thinking about trying for an old, old pair (1959) of E-V 15WK's available on e-bay. The auction ends tomorrow (12/2). I'm very curious about how these sound, having been very impressed with them back then. My K-horns are vintage 1962, have K-33Es.

However, one of the two woofs has a tear in the cone near the rim and the paper looks old and deteriorated-- I'm told it, and probably both, would have to be re-coned. Re-coning kits for the 15W, let alone the 15WK, are no longer available. In fact, very few involved with E-V speakers today even know about the 15WK, the Klipsch version.

The only way to re-cone these is to use a "generic" re-coning kit. Someone, in Michigan I think, recones vintage E-V woofers. The 15WK was supposed to have a 3.2 ohm voice coil and to be for horn-loading only; she is aware of the 3.2 ohm voice coil, and will match the the one that's in there as closely as possible. Still, it's a generic cone replacement.

So ---- is this worth pursuing to try to satisfy my curiosity about the sound of the E-V 15WK woofers? Not exactly cost-effective, by the time I win an auction and get them reconed, for sure! What do folks think?

----------------

Hello:

I have had luck with re-coning vintage speakers at:

The Speaker Place

2047 West Henrietta Road

Rochester, NY 14623

1-800-839 (or 639 - bad memory) - 8626

OR

1 (585) 424-3680.

I've recommended a number of people with speakers in need of repair with no complaints. Good Customer Service, they actually care about the work they do and plesant to talk with.

Good turn around times.

Win dodger

Larry,

I know of a few places to get re-coning done. I'll email you their names to see if they may have a kit.

Maybe someone with older k-horns would be able to help you regarding the differences in sound since its been a few years since you heard the others.

Good luck.

My rear port 60 cornwall has the Ev 15wk this out of all my cornwalls sound the best in the bass/mids. But this may have to do with the rear port loading the corner

My 59 khorn has the k33j (jennsen) they sound great.

My 58 khorns have the trusonic .

I could try a ev15wk thats in a unused short horn in one of my khorns and compare.

----------------

On 12/1/2003 9:35:18 PM khorn58 wrote:

My rear port 60 cornwall has the Ev 15wk this out of all my cornwalls sound the best in the bass/mids. But this may have to do with the rear port loading the corner

I could try a ev15wk thats in a unused short horn in one of my khorns and compare.

----------------

Khorn58,

Thanks for replying! That comparison in a K-horn would be fascinating! However, time is getting short, I'm pretty sure I'll be bidding on these, and that's a lot of trouble for you to go to. Yes, I remember the bass and mids were especially good with the 15WK. It must be a privilege to have the storied Trusonics and Jensens!

It might be interesting to compare notes after I get these, though who knows how my current crossovers/drivers will match up? Because one is torn, I'll also have to wrestle with whether to recone both with "generic" stuff if the other sounds especially good, and how good will they sound then? Now, if you or someone had two 15WKs to get rid of....

Again, thanks --

----------------

On 12/2/2003 8:38:43 AM larryclare wrote:

----------------

On 12/1/2003 9:35:18 PM khorn58 wrote:

----------------

Khorn58,

Thanks for replying! That comparison in a K-horn would be fascinating! However, time is getting short, I'm pretty sure I'll be bidding on these, and that's a lot of trouble for you to go to. Yes, I remember the bass and mids were especially good with the 15WK. It must be a privilege to have the storied Trusonics and Jensens!

It might be interesting to compare notes after I get these, though who knows how my current crossovers/drivers will match up? Because one is torn, I'll also have to wrestle with whether to recone both with "generic" stuff if the other sounds especially good, and how good will they sound then? Now, if you or someone had two 15WKs to get rid of....

Again, thanks --

----------------

Hello:

If I were in your place, I would buy them.

After purchase you have the option of re-coning, waiting to find a matching woofer or waiting to find two (2) matching woofers.

Advice from E-V is usually pretty decent, they try to maintain their reputation. So nyou could recone and keep looking for intact replacements.

Win dodger