Tangent Series

dabeezzx7

I currently have Klipsch Tangent 100's, 300's and 500's. Of which I purchased new in 91. I am mulling over the possibility of putting the whole lot on E-bay and was wondering what a decent starting price would be for all 6 of the speakers. They are in pretty good shape. The only visible damage is cat snags on the front covers of the 300's and the 500's other than that they are in great shape. I truly love the speakers but I am thinking of downsizing size wise, with 3 kids running around the 500's can squish a little guy if they are pushed over.

Let's face it. The Tangents were not the finest effort of the Klipsch organization. I bought a pair of the 500's in a local pawn shop about eight years ago for $50. They were show room clean. I wuz robbed.

Why not GIVE them to the Salvation Army and take a nice tax deduct?

DR BILL12.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2003 10:17:03 AM DRBILL wrote:

Why not GIVE them to the Salvation Army and take a nice tax deduct?

----------------

And you'll give him a pair a Khorns as a gift? 2.gif

Seriously... You could search on audiogon as well as use the "completed bid" option on the advanced search on Ebay... and keep track of what similar speakers are selling for over several months. Perhaps they aren't as popular as the heritage series, but I'm sure there is still a market for them...

Good luck...

Rob

PS: a pair of T40 sold for just under 170$ on ebay after 24 bids...

• 3 months later...

The truth about the Tangent is that it is a Heritage speaker. The Tangent 500 and 400 use the same tweeter, midrange horn and woofer as the Heresy-check the spec sheets on the Classic section. The only thing that made the Tangents lower priced was the fact they were only offered in a black finish. The Tangent 400 and 500 are a larger boxed ported Heresy and the Tangent 300 is identical to the KG4. The Tangents may not be as pretty but they perform like any other Klipsch speaker.

RFK - Interesting thought. I only checked the Tangent 300 and KG4 specs on the web site, and I guess I don't see that they are identical. The T is ported, the KG4 uses a PR as a port. The tweeters are different, as are the woofers (at least they have different part numbers on them. Also, the box volumes are not the same. Just my view, of course, but they don't seem the same.

OK.

Here is the rest of my story. Why don't you keep them and do what I did?

I bought two Heresy crossovers and two Heresy squawkers. The midrange had to be mounted outboard, on the top, for lack of cabinet depth. The crossover can be mounted inside the enclosure. I connected the Tangent horn to the tweeter connection, the Heritage mid to the mid connection, and the cone speakers to the woofer connection.

The results were not bad. It sounded like a Heresy, but with extended bass, although a bit "thumpy". It is the L-R of our TV surround.

I understand your concern with your children's safety. But let's face it. Even PWK said the Tangent was a failure.

Seriously, I give a lot of stuff to charity. I save more money on taxes than I could ever hope to achieve in sales. Everybody comes out ahead. Of course, everybody's tax situation is different.

DR BILL

RFK,

First of all, the Tangent series was a series in itself, NOT a HERITAGE model series. The Heritage speakers were designed by PWK with assistance from his engineering staff in research and development over the years, whereas the Tangent series was designed by the engineering staff, NOT by PWK!...especially since PWK, by the time of the arrival of the Tangent series, was basically just a figurehead in the engineering department...whose advice was sought, but who did not ACTIVELY participate in the development of the speakers coming out during those years as he had done during the preceding decades(pre-1990). As a matter of fact, few of the speakers the company came out with AFTER 1985 were primarily designed by PWK...the one exception being the Jubilee, which has yet to see the light of day as a home version, although it IS being built as a professional model.

Secondly, the Tangent series used NONE of the drivers the Heresy used. TRUE, the CURRENT version of the Heresy II, as it is produced TODAY, uses some of the same drivers as the Tangent series, but the current Heresy II version is ALSO less efficient than the original Heresy model or even the original Heresy II model of 1985. I outta know, I have both NEW Heresy II's AND original Heresys...and the ORIGINALS outperform the current version of the Heresy II. The current version of the Heresy II is using the drivers it uses primarily to keep its cost down, since it would have another 400 bucks or so added to its cost (in pairs) if it was built using components of the old Heresy and Heresy II versions...the tweeters, in particular.

The Tangent series was a stop-gap production series to fill a void while new series were being engineered (researched and developed). It was relatively successful in sales but was only in manufacture for about 5 years or so. As for its overall success, the truth is in the pudding of the length of time they were in manufacture...one of the shortest time spans of any of the Klipsch series. One of the points behind its being sold so inexpensively was that veneered panels of MDF (with bad or mismatched veneers) could be utilized in the construction of the Tangent series cabinets...thereby using material that might otherwise have been relegated to scrap, or to having to be made into black-laquered Heresys.

None of the above comments are in any way saying they were not GOOD speakers, they WERE...but they were just not AS GOOD as many of the PRECEDING models in series OR models in series that came out after they did.

With the exception of the Cornwall (which was dropped due to low sales volumes, NOT due to its being an inadequate design), all of the Heritage speakers from the ORIGINAL line are still being made, and every one of these was designed and initially entered production over three decades ago!...three of them entered production over 4 decades ago!...and ONE of them entered production over FIVE decades ago!

BTW, there are a few on the engineering staff who want to bring back the Heresy II with components that perform more closely to those of the original Heresy...as evidenced by discussion at last year's Indy visit! Time will tell.