Picture of my tempest sonotube.

arfz28

I figured you would get a kick out of it EAR. I put the turntable on top, no place else to put it for now I have 3 of them. Believe me there is no way you could play a turntable on top of that tempest it will shake it apart.Also I was too lasy too remove it for the picture. LOL.

Colin, Frankie, The sonotube was bought at my local county do it center, a hardware store. They had to special order it from somewere. It is 24 inch round.Hight wise I wanted to keep it a tad shorter than my k-horns for better looks. It has a 6 inch pvc port.Dustin B. did the calculations for the port length for me, if I recall I think it is tuned to 16HZ. I dont have a decible meter so I have no measurements.

Most people look at it and say what the hell is that. I laugh and tell them it is a subwoofer, you should see the looks on thier faces..Wife hates the dang thing see says its ugly as sin,says it looks like a giant spool of thread, but she says it does sound good thow.

Hey It seems to work out all right, the only bad problem is that the k-horns have to have the corners, the sub would put out more bass if it was in a corner but that is immposible with k-horns.I tried to put the sub in the back of the room in the corner, but it didnt sound near as good I could always tell where the bass was comming from, I didnt like it. I changed the crossover level, the sub volume control too, but never did like the back room positioning of the sub. It sounds so much better up front, way more natural sounding.

I usually dont listen to the sub that much, I mostly listen to the k-horns by themselves with my scott tube amp, just sounds to dam good. I have the tempest hooked to my sansui G-7700 receiver and listen to it when I want too and when the wife is gone.I have it hooked to the speaker level out puts on the b speaker terminals of the sansui, it works good that way, if you want just the k-horns you just leave the speaker A switch on, want to really rock press the B speaker switch on the sansui and look out. It is so flexable this way.I would love to here this sub in a home theater sistem I bet it would be unbelievable.

Colin... are you getting the DIY itch? If you are, give us a budget and if you have an available power amp... you know you can get the info needed to design/build it here. With a weekend's worth of work and your rolling. 2.gif

A simple vented tempest would surprise you compared to the KSW & LF ... Ask firepinch the difference a Tempest made compared to his HSU VTF3... 1.gif

Later...

Rob

Hmmm... Given that we don't know the Thiel/Small parameters of the driver nor the probable "bass boost" integrated into the amp, you are better off selling it unm0lested, and using that money to buy some components.

Having the T/S parameters is the essential in designing a bass enclosure (volume and tuning). Some proaudio or car audio shops can measure it for an existing driver... but a DIY driver saves the problem.

With khorns, a tempest with an old SS amp can do the trick... without breaking the bank.

Rob

Colin, check this project out by patrick sun how he built his sonotube.

http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html

This is where I got most of the information I needed to build my sonotube, I didnt do everthing exactly like he did but it worked out for me.

The sonotube I bought cost me about 60 bucks for a 6 foot section then I cut it down to the size I wanted.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 12:10:42 PM formica wrote:

A simple vented tempest would surprise you compared to the KSW & LF ... Ask firepinch the difference a Tempest made compared to his HSU VTF3...
1.gif

Later...

Rob

----------------

Effectively Formica! At 20 Hz, according to my tests with the VTF-3 and the Tempest, to match the Tempest output, I would have to buy another VTF-3 3.gif Im in a hurry to know what kind of output I will get of my Tumult despite it is sealed. However, with that much power I will give to it, I expect it to belt 120 dB somewhere certainly, and at least 115 dB at 20 Hz. For such a small sub, at $1350 TOTAL, I think that this will be a serious sub for the money -> size, output and sound quality wise. Plus, I dont know if any sub at this price range will be as much braced as mine, but anyway Im not too well informed on this so I prefer to not place a judgment on this (because The_Ear still looks a lot for the build quality 1.gif). However, for subs costing near the one of Formica, I think that for the build quality, his sub is a clear winner 2.gif Im still surprised again!!! I really didnt expect your sub to be braced like that Form! 9.gif

As you can see, the DIY world can give us some really nice subs when you really think about many solutions, not only huge "easy pour" 3.gif11.gif finished, huge cylinder or huge boxes (Ears doesnt seem to like them and he has often those thoughts when we talk about DIY subs hehe 9.gif)... however, we must have time and for some designs, a lot of it 14.gif

----------------

As you can see, the DIY world can give us some really nice subs when you really think about many solutions, not only huge "easy pour"
3.gif11.gif
finished, huge cylinder or huge boxes (Ears doesnt seem to like them and he has often those thoughts when we talk about DIY subs hehe
9.gif
)... however, we must have time and for some designs, a lot of it
14.gif

----------------

Hey...what's wrong with Easy Pour9.gif? I spent like $70 buck for 12ft of those Easy Pour logos.