Boston Acoustics a150's any good?

milton10

Hi everyone!

I know that this is the Klipsch forum, but I need some opinions from other audio enthusiasts that I trust....

I run an all Heresy system as my main system, but am putting together a small inexpensive system for my bedroom. I would love to go with Heresys there as well, but space is a concern. I am considering a number of vintage speakers including some old Altecs or maybe some original Series I Bose 901's (don't laugh).

Well, I was looking in a Pawn shop for bargains and found a pair of Boston Acoustics a150's in nice condition. The speakers were marked at $79, but discounted to $40 so that the store could move them. I had the attendant hook up the speakers and they sounded nice (given the conditions and poor FM reception).

At any rate, I heard that these speakers are classics, but I don't know much about them. At $40 they are hard to beat as far as a deal goes, but need some input from someone who may have been exposed to these speakers - does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks,

Milton

Yes, they are good indeed. I had a pair for 15+ years. The stereo image is excellent! They will get down to 30 Hz or so, but there is a lot of distortion down there. With normal music you never get that low. They are probably a touch darker than my La Scalas.

The woofers have foam surrounds that will likely need replacement (mine didn't when I let them go 4 years ago).

I've listened to 2 or 3 of the Blose 901 series and I cannot recommend them over a string and tin can. I object to the concept of required EQ and the Direct/reflecting concept as well. So far, every Blose speaker I've heard but the commercial, outdoor "hotspots" (nobody expects much here) have been distasteful and annoying.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but a poor concept is a poor concept. Even pet rocks are classic today.

Well, I just purchased the Boston Acoustics a150's. A quick listening test proves that these speakers are indeed quite a bargain for the price that I paid. In fact, they compare very vavorably against my Heresys! The high end of the BA a150 is a bit more detailed and laidback from my Heresies, but the low end is a bit more muffled. Overall, I feel that I have a nice bargain for the price.

However.....

My other half feels differently!!

"They are HUGE" she says - "What is so wrong with those little 901's that you were looking at?!" "Why do you always like to buy such big speakers?"

Needless to say, I will NOT be getting rid of these! She also thinks that my Heresies are "huge."

Wait until she finds out that my Heresy fronts will be replaced with Cornwalls! HA HA HA HA HA 11.gif