AES AE-3 vs. Cary SLP98

Kek

Im looking for guidance and some expertise. I bought a AE-3 preamp a year and a half ago, to mate with a Bryston 4Bst and a pair of KLF30's. This inexpensive little preamp is a dynamo and I loved its sound ( factory wired, no mods).

I found myself wanting to change out the AE-3, upgrading this piece of equipment to a higher end preamp should improve the sound quality. I found this is not always the case.

Narrowed down the choices to the Cary SLP98L and the Rogue Magnum 99 line stage. Researched and reviewed both and thought the 99 would help the KLF's with low end and I bought one. Its not what I expected its sound to be....some what of a let down. The Rogue has a great sound stage and firm lowend, but its missing that liquid character in its midrange that I liked in the AE-3; it seems to be "dry" . Rolled tubes 4 times with various results but still comes out like diet pop....starts off tasting good then dies without leaving a trace.

How does the Cary Slp98 sound when compared to AES AE-3? How does it sound in general? Likes... dislikes ?

Deang dont you own one?

P.S. I should mention that I cant go back to the AE-3 because I sold it on Audiogon last week, and I have to much money rapped up in 6sn7's to go to a preamp using different tubes.

thanks, Kris

I would save some ducats and go with the LAM 6SN7 SRPP. It's a whopping $250 or so and you can keep your Rogue around for awhile to compare. I seem to remember saying to someone the move to the Rogue might be more of a lateral move. There are so many preamp inquiries I cant remember which one was yours.

The LAM preamp is a no brainer at the cost. I first noticed this preamp months ago and told Jeff (Painful Reality) about it saying it looked to be the INSANE deal for the price. AT time time we were messing with a preamp design. Later, Jeff told Dean about it. Dean bought it and it now through lies at Paul Parrot's house. This preamp seems to compare well with the SLP-98 and AE-3. I did see a tube rectified AE-3 DJH also on Audiogon if you want to go that route and it was a good price. I think this is an upgrade over the AE-3 stock. But the LAM SRPP is the $$$ sweet spot and also EASY to modify with the space.

This little unit looks to be a steal. MY bet is the line stage will be better than the Rogue and you will be able to buy a TON OF TUBES and MUSIC with the savings. And IF I do a webpage for this loon, expect the price to go uppppppp! heh...

lam.jpg

Another good pre for the ducats USED

AE-3 DJH with tube rect

ae3_djh.jpg

kh

My Cary has the Paper in Oil B+ and coupling caps option. I actually love it, though Craig's modded Mapletree Audio preamp ($600) definitely had better control on the bottom. However, what I like about my Cary is the midrange and upper treble, which I feel has an "airbrushed" quality to it. I also like it because it has two main outs to facilitate biamping. It's also a gorgeous unit. I would characterize the AE-3 as having a more "direct" kind of sound -- more punchy and extended on top. The AE-3 DJH gives much of the same, with a little bit of softening and warmth. I'm actually selling my Cary, and the AE3-DJH, Mapletree, and LAM units are on my short list. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, and yeah -- the LAM unit is killer for the money -- but ultimately I felt it had just a tad bit of hardness on the top when pushed.

Dean, it looks as if your Cary SLP-98 has the AUDIO 1 oils. These oils consistantly get negative comments with mushy bottom to not as much extension on the top. Do some research. A major upgrade would have been the Jensen COPPER oils. I have actually traded mails with more than a few that have done this with the 98. This is why I asked for the wiring shot. The Audio 1 oils were ALSO in my Moondogs long ago. These were replaced with Jensen Copper oils for better extention. Take a look to see if your oils are the Audio 1. Cary does have the Jensen oils but they are more money and you have to request them.

kh

Yeah I know, I've been struggling with that issue. I know the Jensens would be a MAJOR upgrade. Hell, I think Multicaps would be an upgrade over caps that use freaking vegetable oil. What an idiotic concept. Problem is, I would then have to keep it, but have that money slated for Klipschorns. Can I get a loan?9.gif

Update on Mapletree Ultra 4A and Line 2A product info

It now is being built offered on a 2" deaper chassis which will allow more choices for Cap upgrades.

It already comes standard with 2 output sets for bi-amping mine doesn't have the extra outputs because I requested more inputs which was my priority

The Mapletree at the very least equaled the sound of the Cary without a single "paper in oil" in sight ! So what would the Mapletree sound like with some "paper in oils" in it?

Craig

What is the website for Lam audio? I am waiting for some new La Scalas and I purchased a Luxman C300 preamp on ebay but from what everyone says tubes give the best sound so sooner or later I will get a tube preamp and amp. For now I will run the Luxman with 2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 pros. The price of the Lam preamp is sounds great. Do you think it would be a good first tube preamp? Thanks for any help!

Louis, yes this is the magnum version. The Rogue is a great sounding preamp, but that tube magic in the midrange is what Im looking for. The AE-3 was the only other tubed preamp that I have used in my system, so you might want to say that it was my "reference". It (AE-3) had a good liquid midrange with superior effortless highend. The Rogue Magnum 99 has such a better sound stage thats deep,wide,layered with great lowend character.

The Rogue was bought brand new and has less than 50 hours of play time on it, and I will give it some more time to settle in, only hoping that it is a diamond in rough.

Kelly, does the Lam have a phono stage? I heard some good things about the Lam so I did a web search for more info but came up empty handed. Must be why it's not very popular.

By the way, I picked up a Sound Valve VTP-101 for $100 a couple days ago. It has both line and phono stages. I replace the stock Sovtek 12AX7s with all NOS Telefunken tubes and thought it sounded quite good, at least for the price. I heard that the Sound Valves people are the same people that started the Dynaco stuff.

PS. I now use NOS Telefunken 12AX7s exclusively in all of my tube gears.

You have some pretty unique stuff if the only tubes you use are 12AX7!!!

Ribbed or smooth?

If you're a TFK fan, look for some ECC803S, one of the true "Holy Grail" tubes. I had a NOS pair and sold them on ebay a year ago for enough money to buy THREE Lam preamps (I bought some nice old records!)

If you haven't tried Mullard box-plates (CV4004), give them a try--I replaced all my 12AX7 preamp tubes with these a few years back--GLORIOUS midrange--perfect with horns!

----------------

On 12/6/2003 11:23:50 PM DeanG wrote:

"The Lam linestage (no phono) comes from Hong Kong, and can only be found on eBay. There is no website..."

----------------

Also known as BEZ linestage. The designer/builder is Edmund Lam (alias: Lam Ying Wing, and his eBay user ID is "zagger1".