Audion Amps

hightone

I've heared the SE EL34 amp driving a pair of 99DB Loth-X loudspeakers. It sounded very good but I felt that it had difficulties with complex music. The room was very big though. Also heared them driving a pair of JMR monitors in a small room and felt the same.

Heared the PP 300B "Silver night" driving a pair of Quad ESL-57 and they imaged very well and had excellent control of the speakers.

• 7 months later...

I'm running an Audion Silver Night MKII (300B) through my La Scala's.

An absolutely amazing amp. The MKII versions are a big improvement. Read about

them on www.audion.co.uk

This is the most balanced, blissful amp I've heard. Not as emotional as my Wright Mono 3.5's,

but they deliver much more of the music. Also mated them with some Soliloquy 6.2's, and they sounded

wonderful there as well. They have a tight, impressive bass presence. Just a superb amp, in my opinion.

Good or bad? I would say neither. The Wright's were best in the sweet spot. I felt like I had to be sitting in front of the stereo, actively listening, to get the most enjoyment from them. The Audion fills the house with the most balanced, laid back sound I've heard from an amp. It does not impose any personality on the music. Hope that clarifies some of the differences. I will soon be looking for a pair of Wright 3.5 monos again, as I want to have both them and the Audion.

Sorry, I realized that I may not have been complete in my response. It was my wife who really distinguished the differences, and it helped to determine which suited our needs better. When I have the time to sit and actively listen to the music, I would like nothing more than to listen to the Wright's. They are the most lifelike, airy amps I've heard. They are spine chilling in ways that circumvent your ability to analyze them. They just reach you in such an emotional way.

On the other hand, as we've been rolling tubes, and swapping cables, we've found the Audion to approach the spaciousness of the Wright's, but not quite the same level of emotion. However, it does deliver much more of the music. I hear a lot that I just didn't get with the Wright's. It has superb bass extension, and simply the most balanced sound I've heard. It sounds like liquid perfection. And I can have the amp on, be anywhere in the house, actively listening or not, and it sounds like heaven.

So neither good or bad, but remarkably different from one another. Hope that helps.

Here is an easy mod I performed on my Momo 10's. The 3.5 shoul be similiar. By replacing the small brown 1mF coupling caps with 1mF film and foils the sound opens up considerably. George Wright, like PWK did, believes in providing the best bang for the buck and here is where he saved a few of them IMHO:

mono10bottom.jpg

mono10mod.jpg

I also replaced the blue 100mF Zicon caps with 100mF Ruby selects but, this was because I put in a tube wrong and POOF goes the capacitor.6.gif8.gif12.gif

Rick

post-12829-13819250612858_thumb.jpg

Rick,

Would you tell me what I'm looking at when you refer to coupling caps

and the film you're speaking about? Sorry, I know so little about the

tech end of audio.

I blew a resistor as well when I put a 300B in the Audion the

wrong way. I assumed that the big pins go to the back, just like the 2A3's

on my 3.5 mono's, and snap, crackle & pop...I was wrong!

Howard,

In the small photo toward the bottom are two smallish brown capacitors to the grids of the 2A3s. I know I saved the removed caps somewhere but I can not find them to take a photo. (I guess they are shy:))

In the large photo those caps are replaced by the very large yellow 1mf 600VDC caps toward the top. George Wright makes replacement of the caps easy as they are soldered from a terminal strip to a wrap around a resistor lead. I don't think that you really need 600VDC caps but that is what I had. 400VDC would be OK I'm sure.

Rick