Max's Pick: Candan Erçetin: Elbette - MP3

mobile homeless

Candan Erçetin: Elbette (Turkish)

candan_elbette1.jpg

Ok, Max sent this and was quite excited. Appears to be some saturation in parts (low end). My guess is if you like it, you should order it. There are a whole slew of the Turkish Candan Ercetin recordings for order. I went through this and some of the others. Interesting. This cut opens with violin and guitar - very articulate - and moved from there.

Again, there is a bit of saturation in this MP3 which might have accounted for Max's Aiwa Super-Flub. This is not an EL-34 friend... heh.

In Max's own words: "Warning to sub-woofer owners - this song can bring some subs to their knees. We tried it out on an old aiwa powered "super-woofer" and it died a death. I am not sure this problem with manefest itself with the MP3 version I have created here - hopefully once you get to try it out you will all let me know. If this proves popular I will post other Turkish greats as I discover them. Its a new field for me too (and a nice change from my boring classical recommendations).

Candan Ercetin - Unut Sevme.mp3

Interested, please see: Candan Ercetin Info - Ordering

kh

Thanks Kelly - you da man!!

as for "Again, there is a bit of saturation in this MP3 which might have accounted for Max's Aiwa Super-Flub" I should point out that the Aiwa sub failed with the CD version NOT the MP3. I havent tried out the MP3 with either system at home - but it seems clear as a bell on the Sony headphones coming from my Clie.

I suppose if everyone is getting bass problems then it points to the recording and I will try to do better. I just have a sneaking suspicion that it is the equipment that is falling over as happens on many systems with the CD, but not all.

Funnily enough my EL34 amp romps home on this one, but I reckon my home made speakers have about as fast a bass response as is possible in a normal speaker driver.

thanks for the song but wtf is she saying? ! ...hummmdeedeedummmdeedeedieeeeyaaa...oomdoogyommgobadiaaaahhhh, beeedeeeddeeee dee dieeeeyaaaaahhh ....

why is it that I can download that entire song in about 20 seconds but on any of the song swapping proggies it takes 10 mins or more?

Lots of low freq signal there. Great stuff Max. It is really pretty clean on my system I use for recording. I can imagine what it would do with some subs though.

Kelly, thanks for hosting it for a short while.

BB, it downloads so faster because of the connection speed of the server KH has it on, and thee probably isn't half the workd trying to get songs onto their PCs.

Marvel

Marvel,

Glad you like it - which speakers are you playing it on -the Heresys? If so, you are probably not getting all the bass, but I too found that what it did play (I used to have heresies) it played very well indeed.

As it happens the only sub I tried it on that played without problems was the REL Strata 3 that I used to have in conjunction with the Heresies. I think that 10 inch driver has unamtched speed and it thrived on the rapid pace of the music.

Welcome on board Mark - glad you liked the Turkish song.

I am not the last word in knowledge when it comes to Greek stuff. It is undergoing a huge revival over here (previously no-one listened to it prefering US/UK stuff).

Ocasionally songs come up that are listenable to - but not really my bag and definitely not the sort of stuff that would represent any kind of test for audio equipment.

I only posted the Turkish song because, at least in higher res. format than MP3 it is a rather testing piece for your higer end stereo's.

I do have other Turkish songs I may post by and by - but I dont like to keep imposing on Kelly for hosting so I will have to find an alternative.

Not sure about your choice of suppliers though 9.gif

It just ocurred to me that if you guys count me as a Greek (bearing a gift)then you might be worried about this MP3 being a Trojan Horse (as in a virus type thingie - not a giant contraceptive).

To the best of my knowledge it aint (either of the above). My Norton Antivirus (updated today) says it is AOK.

Max,

I have two PCs in my small office at home, one for all my online stuff, the other a dual athlon I use for video editing. I have a small mixer feeding a pair of Alesis monitors. They only have a 6 inch woofer, but as nearfields, have a much lower response than my Heresys. I am tempted to try a mix on the Heresys to see how the end result will come out.

My wife says the Heresys look a little clunky in the living room. Mind you, they are ever so slightly smaller than the JBLs (4311), but the JBLs are walnut, while the Heresys are matte black.

KH,

Pull that file into a wave editor, and it doesn't look clipped on most of the track. Maybe it was the conversion to MP3.

Try the UltraPlayer:

http://www.ultraplayer.com

Has a great MP3 decoder, and it's free. I like it much better than most other players (sorry, no Mac version)

Marvel

Thanks Craig

and Max! (yes Max, I humor him along for the soldering....),

I only get to listen to it via headphones plugged into the desktop: sounds very good. Short of burning a CD--no way to listen via my real system.

This stuff actually interests me as music (not a low frequency challenge). As a student (mid 70's) I was surrounded by middle-eastern kids listening to the strange sounding music which they liked. Back then I listened to Jazz and Rock and their music went right by me (honestly: I hated it).

Now....wish I knew more about it.

And how about those Bing Crosby upper mordants?

Mark

Oh well - if you like the music I will try to get some more ripped for you. I have a CD a friend compiled for me with what he calls turkish greats. Just got to remember to get it out of the car and onto the PC. In the meantime shoot me an email or a PM so I can send them to you direct.

Cheers