SACD Mods

joshnich

FYI ,

I just got my scd222es back from SACDmods.com and I have to say I am very impressed. They recommend a burn in of 150 hours before optimum performance is realized, but right out of the box the improvement is quite noticeable. Well worth the 350 bucks I paid for the mods.

The mods performed were

LC Audio Lclock X02 11.2896 Mhz

Black Gate 47uF 6.3 NX HiQ Capacitors

Harris Hyperfast Soft recovery Diodes 4A 600V

1000uf Black Gate Power Supply Filtering Capacitors

Analog Devices AD826 SMT opamp

I have no idea what that all means but I include it for those who do. I can say that the changer sounds even more vinyl like than it did when I sent it off and I thought it was pretty darn close before. Very cool indeed. Its quicker with more punch but very smooth. Very musical.

I found it interesting that they recommend not to use power filters or surge suppressors containing metal oxide varistors as they adversely affect the sound due to the Harris High Speed, Soft Recovery (FRED) diodes that are installed in the power supply. They recommend plugging the unit directly into the wall.

Anyway for anyone contemplating upgrading your Sony SACD player I would say go for it. ! BTW their speed of service, communication etc were excellent.

josh

I have a Sony 999ES that I have it upgraded. The unit in stock form has great video and digital playback and only ok on the analog sound. I have asked Dan Wright to performed the following:

1) Upgraded power supply with Fast Recover Diodes.

2) Upgraded all op-amps - Multi-CH and 2CH with Burr Brown.

3) Removed all coupling caps in 2CH and MCH circuits.

4) Bybee filters in the main AC input for even clearer video.

The results is even lower noise floor with better bass, dynamics, clarity and resolution. The op-amps in the stock player are horrible and the FRED diodes lower the noise floor a GREAT deal.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

----------------

On 12/11/2003 4:20:51 PM mopar dave wrote:

josh, after burn-in, see if you can find someone with a c333es or a c555es unmodded to do an AB comparison and let us know the results. dave

----------------

Dave,

Will do. BTW sacdmods does provide the same mods for the 775

Josh

I appreciate the info guys. I'm in a hunt for a SACD player and all that seems to be talked about is Mod this & Mod that on the Audio Asylum forums. And quite a few of the mods are (IMHO) insanely expensive. Do you feel that you could have spent the same amount of $ and gotten similar results from a stock player or are they "that good".

Thanks

-Dave

----------------

On 12/11/2003 6:07:09 PM DrPyro wrote:

I appreciate the info guys. I'm in a hunt for a SACD player and all that seems to be talked about is Mod this & Mod that on the Audio Asylum forums. And quite a few of the mods are (IMHO) insanely expensive. Do you feel that you could have spent the same amount of $ and gotten similar results from a stock player or are they "that good".

Thanks

-Dave

----------------

Its always hard to put a dollar "worth" on this sort of thing but I have to say that the improvement on the scd222es was dramatic in my mind and well worth the 350.00 that I paid. I bought the deck new for 345.00 so I have a deck that cost 700 bucks that performs better, IMHO (both redbook and SACD) than decks costing several multiples of that. Even without considering the lower cost versus other players I have heard I couldnt be happier.

BTW I also have a very inexpensive Phillips SACD changer in a second system that sounds very good for what it is. When people hear that they cannot believe the difference between SACDs and redbook. But the modded Sony takes it to another level indeed.

Josh