poll: elvis costello - love him or hate him, best song and album

jdm56

EC was mentioned in another forum, and since he is a favorite of mine, and seems to bring out strong pro or con opinions, I thought it might be interesting to see what the inmates here think of him and his music. So please share, if you have a strong opinion either way, and if you have a favorite song or album, or a least favorite, etc, etc.

For me, he is right up there with the giants in popular music of the last century: Johnny Cash, Dylan, Springsteen, Lennon & McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and so on. My favorite album would probably be "King of America", from 1986, which was produced by "T-Bone" Burnett. Fantastic writing, performance and sonics. Also high on my list of fave EC albums would be his first WB album, "Spike", and his earlier Columbia albums, especially "Imperial Bedroom", "Armed Forces", and "This Year's Model".

Guest Anonymous

Ya gotta lovehim, I was introduced th EC in college, I took a date to Bunkey's nightclub in Madison Wisconsin on a cold snowy night in 1978, and when I walked into the bar he was playing MY AIM IS TRUE, I was sold on the spot! This funky looking 1950's dressed GEEK looking guy rocked the place down....What a NIGHT!2.gif MY date had her hands all over my body on the dancefloor, we rocked, we rolled all night long.

EC tahnks for the great time3.gif11.gif

Smilin down memory lane16.gif

Elvis is Paul McCartney on steroids. We listened to Armed Forces every day when driving to school in upstate New York. That album is a classic, and with the short songs we always knew when we were running early or late by what song was playing when we hit certain milestones.

Clueless, I think the furry feline got too close to the egg nog!

Love him!

Saw Elvis up at the State Theatre in Detroit a few years ago. It was an unplugged (sort-of) concert with his keyboardist Steve Naive. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I truly believe he is one of the greats of his generation.

Best albums?? How about "This Year's Model" and "When I was Cruel"

-Jim.

Yes, "When I Was Cruel" is a very good record, too. I have not heard "North", but it seems, according to reviews I have read, to be one of his more experimental works; IOW I'd probably have to listen to it a dozen times to maybe start appreciating it. Come on E, give us tunes and a beat!!!11.gif

Another EC observation: It seems to me a lot of his best songs were never released as singles. I always thought "Oliver's Army" from the Armed Forces album should have been a huge hit.

Moon, I'd bet the song you almost recall is either "Everyday I Write The Book" or "The Only Flame In Town". They were probably his highest charting singles in the US.