OT/FS: how much is my JBL 4648A-8 subwoofer worth?

kenratboy

A while back, some people expressed interest in buying my subwoofer (http://www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/lfsub.htm#4648A-8) As my sub amp died, I need to replace it, but the one I want is $400 from Parts Express (the new 1000 watt one.) I figure, if I could sell my JBL to one of you (music/2-channel people will love this thing), I could put that money towards a SVS unit. I could use some more space in my room.

Anyone interested? I live in Reno, Nevada.

If you are not interested, but know how much it is worth, let me know.

If you are going to PM me, put a post up saying I have a PM.

Thanks!!!

BTW - it has gotten very little use, even if it had, it wouldn't matter, the woofers could get plugged into a wall and not care. One of the woofers was reconed by JBL Pro in Northridge, CA due to a piece of dedris being in the gap. I replaced the phillips screws with hex head screws and reversed the polarity (so RED is POSITIVE now, it used to be opposite, thats how JBL use to do it.) There is no damage to the unit at all, the only thing is it is dusty!!!

Any questions or concerns, ASK!

NOS----JBL Pro, being a conservative outfit, measures their pro woofer boxes in quarter space; as though they were in the middle of a prairie. Much extension is gained with room lift.

The pair of 4648s I used to augment my A-5s were flat at 25 hz. They were placed along a wall and the plate-amp driving them had 6db of boost at 30hz. They would reach ungodly levels of deep bass with no apparent compression or distortion. LaScalas are not in the same ballpark and sound weak-kneed and bass-shy in comparison.

I gave the 4648s and the plate-amp away to a friend of mine. He's using them to augment some JBL Pro 2-ways, each of these 2-ways having a vented 15 and a driver-horn coming in at 800hz, those speakers are placed atop the 4648s. So on each side he has 3-15s and a horn, big tone.

You probably want a Powered SVS woofer?

I have a spare 16/46 CS series, I'll swap ya.

You'll still need a amp, however.

Are you interested in SVS for the HT aspect?

That JBL would be good for music, I'm not really concerned about earth noises.

Ugh, I dunno....

Your cheapest route would be another plate amp.

Ken---Were you suffering from compression or distortion with the other amp? If not why pay more for power you don't need?

On the other hand it never hurts to have more power and buying the new amp certainly won't hurt. It depends on what you want to do with the money; more power than an amp like your old one had or something else with the dough.

----------------

On 12/13/2003 8:09:05 AM TBrennan wrote:

Ken---Were you suffering from compression or distortion with the other amp? If not why pay more for power you don't need?

On the other hand it never hurts to have more power and buying the new amp certainly won't hurt. It depends on what you want to do with the money; more power than an amp like your old one had or something else with the dough.
----------------

I forgot which, but from my symptoms, I was told that the amp was running out of steam and the bass was getting muddy and the amp couldn't control the cones movement (as in, the cone was moving with such great force, the amp didn't have the power to control and drive it.) Basically, the amp was not running out of power, just torque. I put a 30 Hz. high pass on the sub and BAM! Clear, clean bass, but I would like the other 10-15 Hz. below that, and in my small room, a SVS could probably pull down to 15 Hz. easily. I am wondering if I went from 180 to 512 watts and an amp with more 'torque' if I could pull the high pass off and get another octave (my room is 13' X 13'6 X 9' - not big) of bass.

As for the SVS, I was actually considering getting one of the PB2's. I wrote Tom and he said even the ISD would rock my world in a 1,500 cu. ft. room.

----------------

On 12/13/2003 4:22:44 AM kenratboy wrote:

TB:

Do you think I should buy the new Parts Express plate amp for $400 (500 watts @ 8 ohms) and try that?

----------------

You could easily get more power for your money if consider a pro amp like Samson, QSC, or Crown. I bought a 750Wx2 scratch & dent Samson S1500 for $370 shipped from zzounds.com just to give you an idea of their $/watt ratio.