Gangs of New York.

m00n

Just watched Gangs of New York. That was a goooooood movie. If you have not seen it, definitly rent it. Very good movie.

I know that there really was a bunch of gangs durring the time period this movie takes place, but I don't know if this particular story is based on a true story, does anyone know?

----------------

On 12/14/2003 12:24:51 PM RickB wrote:

Yeah it was a real good movie. On disc 2 there is a Discovery Channel special called Uncovering The Real Gangs Of New York.

Its pretty interesting, It shows that some of the people and events that happen in the movie are based on fact.

----------------

I seen part of that on TV, I didn't realize that it was on disk 2. I am definitly going to watch it.

*EDIT* Just watched the Discovery Channel special. It was very interesting to see the whole thing after watching the movie.

Despite anyone's opinion of DiCaprio in general, Daniel Day Lewis' performance in this film is worth the price alone. Also, as Scorcese points out in the commentary track, if it wasn't for DiCaprio coming on board, the film would never have been made. Scorcese had wanted to do this film since the early eighties, but could never get the financial backing that a production of this scale (something like four years in the making) clearly required. It was DiCaprio's fame (and that of Titanic) that gave the film the kind of box-office credibility that a studio was willing to invest in.

Overall, I liked this film...a film that those of us in the know were awaiting for many years...a usual red flag that the resulting release would be a bloated, sprawling mess. This very well scould have been so if handled by a lesser filmmaker. Yes, it was a bit silly and "La Boheme"-ish at times, but Lewis' larger-than-life performance anchors the entire piece, if for no other reason but because you want to see what happens to him.