DTS OR ENGLISH 5.1 SURROUND???

love_hertz

LH... No, I have the official wide screen disk kit. No burned DVD's here.

Looking at the different reviews, it would seem there are 2 different pressings. Half of the reviews say the video is good, the other half say it's bad. It would seem the same from the forum members.

I also noticed that most of the reviews talk about the dark scenes. It seems to be worse in the brighter scenes. The worst part I noticed is where Capt. Sparrow comes in on his sinking 'ship'. As he steps off onto the dock, the background is very blurry. I can barely make out the ropes on the ships in the background.

Yoda:.... Just curious...I heard it was only released wide screen. Where did you find the full screen?

Man I love this forum. I learn so much. Hey Cyclone, I too noticed poor video with my "Pirates" disc.

I thought it was just me. Also, I did not know about "DTS only" versions of certain movies. I

have a Private Ryan disc that is DD only.8.gif I am going to check into this before buying anymore

of my favorite movies on DVD. Thanks to all on this forum for such useful information.

Master T, they don't make many, (if they make any at all) dts only discs anymore. BBB, I don't know if that list is accurate, I was almost positive Saving Private Ryan used a full bitrate dts track, and I don't know about Twister, Interview with the Vampire and the Lethal Weapon Trilogy being full bitrate, as Warner is (in)famous for using a lowered bitrate even on Dolby Digital tracks. My DVD player cannot check the Audio Bitrate, just the overall. Maybe someone with a Sony DVD player can verify these numbers. It's very easy to check with the Sony, just press Setup, while the disc is playing and the bitrate will show both audio and video seperately.

Yoda, why would you get the Full Screen Version with the TV you have??? You shouldn't be allowed to own that TV, if that's the way you're going to treat it.2.gif

db Man, you'd be surprised what Best Buy has to offer in the old full bitrate dts movies. I've seen Daylight, Dante's Peak, Jackal, etc. there and that is where I got my copy of Mercury Rising dts.

marksdad, what??? Experimental?

Also, keep in mind that there are differences in equipment, and some dts decoders may be better than others.

Well, Todd, I decided to spot check a few of the DTS bit rates on a few of the DVDs I own that are listed on the link I posted using my Sony player. It appears the numbers may be correct on some of the discs we might have questioned.

The Dances With Wolves and Twister special DTS versions come up as having a "full-rate" of 1509 Kbits per second. On the other hand The Special DTS versions of both Saving Private Ryan and Jurassic Park, that you would THINK would have a "full-rate" DTS track, only show a "half-rate" of 754 Kbits per second. They all sound and look outstanding to me. Like most people, I bought these movies specifically for the fact that they were the Special DTS versions of these films. Go figure.?!?

Yep, I just did some checking myself, and it turns out I was wrong on all counts. Saving Private Ryan is definitely Half-Bitrate, and the others I mentioned are indeed Full-Bitrate. Interesting. Those are the only Warner Movies ever to have a dts soundtrack (I own all four). Still, Saving Private Ryan is one of the best sounding movies and definitely worth picking up the dts version (I have owned both versions). Dances with wolves is another one that has outstanding sound quality. With both of those movies, I forgot about sound entirely, because I was wrapped up in the move and then, out of the blue I realized, "Man the sound quality on this movie is awesome!!!" That's why I assumed SPR was the higher rate as I knew DWW was. At any rate, 754 is still a higher bitrate than the 448 of Dolby Digital, but it is up for debate if that necessarily makes it better. I haven't seen an example where the Dolby soundtrack was better, but I do own Pirates of the Caribbean and will check it out myself.