so, how do you audiophiles like your steak?

KiNNi C P

----------------

On 12/15/2003 7:06:39 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Now that I have copied down a recepie or two (who'd of thought I'd get that on THIS forum?), I have a question. Will anyone agree with me that there is a distinct difference in the flavor of a steak served in a resturant and a steak cooked at home on a grill? I've tried some very high grade cuts at home, and can't ever get that resturant flavor. It still tastes delicious, don't get me wrong, but just "different". I've tried several steak seasonings from a commercial spice wholesaler that has an account with us, but the flavor still eludes me. What gives?

Oh yeah. Medium, but on the rare side. Some pink on the inside, but warm.

----------------

I have quite a different experience - I can RAREly get steaks to taste as good at a restaurant as I can at home. I probably spend more time on getting the right cut for home and have to accept what I get elsewhere.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after reading this, printing out some great sounding ideas, and imagining how good they would all taste, it's settled. I'm not going for the usual sandwich or soup and a salad for lunch today. No siree, I'm steppin right up to the plate and going out for a nice chunk of cow, medium rare, a baked tater with extra butter and a side salad. And probably a cup of lobster bisque to go with it. Salivating already just thinking about it.

On 12/16/03 Darrell said: "At $10.00 a pound you've got to make the best of it."

I went to the market this AM and Angus Tenderloin was $21.95 a pound. I took a pass. My recipe is a good one and I was looking forward to trying the twist suggested by chuckears but for that price I'll go out and have somebody else do the work. Either that or I need to blast one of the darn deer that are after my maple trees!

You ever been out on a date or to a party with your wife/gf/SO, things are going great, mayhbe a drink or two, she says she can't wait to get you home and neeked.. you think you're in like Flynn, then when you get home she decides that she's really tired and just wants to cuddle and go to sleep? Same thing at lunch. 15.gif Got there, sat down, got comfy, perused my dining options, then found out that they don't start cooking the full menu till after 4:00. The french dip and tater tots just wasn't the same. It's a sad day for dining.

Geez Ctbb,

You can always swing past the Golden Arches and pick-up a Big Mac. Your other scenario, however, dosen't seem to offer such an easy alternative or solution.

In like Flynn? I've not heard that one. Do you refer to Errol Flynn? Not trying to be a jerk here, just curious.

40 miles from fast food? You're probably lucky. The lure of a Big Mac, Big Roast Beef or Chalupa have always been too much for me at times.

I've heard the phrase, "In like Flint" which would refer to the James Colburn movie "Our Man Flint" but the generation before me may well have come up with "In like Flynn". I guess Errol was a pretty fair ladies man.

Sorry about the let down at lunch. 40 miles from the Golden Arches?

Ironic, isn't it... at the restaurant where I work, I can have anything I want to eat from what we have available, and I usually end up with something quick and easy... a salad, or something from the buffet.

Occasionally, however, I feel it necessary to indulge myself, such as my recent lunch of a sesame-encrusted (sushimi-grade) tuna, with wasabi and soy for dipping, rice pilaf, and a nice vegetable blend.

I would like to see how many restaurants pull in a few extra guests from readers of this thread...

----------------

On 12/15/2003 7:06:39 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Will anyone agree with me that there is a distinct difference in the flavor of a steak served in a resturant and a steak cooked at home on a grill? I've tried some very high grade cuts at home, and can't ever get that resturant flavor. It still tastes delicious, don't get me wrong, but just "different".

----------------

Partly it's the meat, but mostly it's the cooking temperature.

----------------

On 12/15/2003 9:08:27 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I get the pan very hot and do put in some oil. ... It is necessary to keep a cover on to keep the smoke level down.

----------------

Lose the oil and lose the smoke. The oil doesn't add anything else.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 4:52:49 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Maybe I'll try searing the outside with an oxy/acytlene torch with a rosebud tip, then into the oven for a bit

----------------

That's really the right idea. The use of high initial heat does two things. It seals the surface tissues so the juices in the interior can't escape. And it decomposes some of the complex sugars into the dark "caramel" material that tastes so bloody good.

For you proto-cooks, that's what you're going after when you "de-glaze" a pan in which something like meat has cooked. You're trying to get those tasty caramelized bits that have stuck to the pan. It doesn't take much to make a sauce yummy!

3.gif

On the serious side though, I'm not sure that the torch might not be a bit too hot. It's a short step from caramelization to carbonization. But it might be worth a try. We can't all have an industrial gas range and hood.

10.gif

Just give me a 22oz PorterHouse with a BIC.

Olive oil,salt,pepper and crushed garlic.

Cooked over mesquite charcoal. No gas for me. Doing this over the weekend. Twice baked potatoe and asparagus with butter. We get our meat at Cypress Meat Market in NW Houston. All farm raised locally. Down here in Houston we have a good supply of locally raised beef,chicken and hogs. Smoked two turkeys over the Thanksgiving weekend and went through about1/8 cord of mesquite and pecan. You stuff the turkeys with apples and red onions and baste them in a mix of butter and olive oil. Cook 2 hours for every 2 pounds of turkey. Cheers.