Update on my Klipschorn review

DTLongo

In October I posted a considered six-month review on my 2003 Klipschorns. The bottom line was that while I was pleased with them, they were shy in the bass and needed to be used with a good subwoofer. I now need to amend that. My then-amp, a vintage-1988 SS Kenwood KA-880D, began to die. I swapped in a newer Pioneer VSX-5700S receiver and the difference was remarkable. Much fuller bass, the Khorns seemed to "bloom." One sensed that they were now really putting out down to their rated 35 hz. or so. I still use the sub to bring out the very bottom on relevant organ and symphonic material but otherwise the subwoofer has become more or less superfluous.

I purchased and swapped in a new Onkyo top of the line stereo receiver but, interestingly, it did not sound significantly better than the vintage-1990 Pioneer. So, I took it back and saved some bucks and am staying with the Pioneer for now. Maybe some day tubes, but I still have reservations about that - heat, microphonics, hiss and hum, tubes blow out and so forth. Anyway, the lesson which you experts already know but I had to learn: with Khorns the choice of amp can make a big difference.

Regards, Tom in Ocean Pines MD

Hi DT,

Glad you are getting better results out of your Klipschorns now.

As for your tube concerns, the heat stuff is a myth. I don't know why people keep going on about how they can heat their room with their amp, and all that nonsense. It's exaggeration. You just don't want to have a tube amp inside a sealed entertainment center with no ventilation.

Microphonics is nothing to worry about under normal conditions.

There may be a little hiss and hum, but if you have good stuff, you'll hear it only if you stick your ear up to the speaker when no music is playing. You'll never hear it during music, even soft passages, if you have good equipment.

Tubes die out eventually, but some last for decades, and even output tubes last for years and years. They won't explode on you.

Tom: One of these days you really need to get a nice amp (no offense to what you got already) -- but if you think it sounds great now, you will be amazed at what you will hear. Don't fear tubes. Yeah, it's a little more of a hassle than solid state, but the improvement will be worth it and you won't look back.

Tom,

I also had reservations about tube, but I was convinced by several board members to try out a tube amp. I can say that I'm unbelievably pleased, and will never go back to SS for my 2-channel audio. I can recommend the Cayin TA-30 - throw some Svetlana EL-34's in there and its 35wpc will make those 104db (?) K-Horns sing. Or even better, you could go with a lower-power Class A SET amp and really make them sound amazing.

-Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

old timer on comp-hardware forums, but new on Klipsch forums

I took over the Khorn quest of the holy grail when I heard those ladies for the first time in 1977, driven by some Audio-Research valve amp...I was 25 year old at that time, and from then had in mind the very one thing of my audio-life: get a pair of Khorns, whenever it"ll happen in the future if the big bad wolf don't bite me...Now 52 year old - january 2004 - and about to purchase a pair at Christmas...2004

However I followed a different way than DT Longo's did :

> first: find the house to fit the Ladies: living-room had to match the challenge...found the one in 1994: listening room L 30 feet x W 18 feet x H 10 feet, Speakers to go in the short wall corners

> second: find the SET valve amp which would match both musical & financial performance...found the one this year : I can say this 'Opera audio ref 5.5 parallel SET' shipped with 'Taijin full music 300Bs' is actually one step to heaven (uummm...each 300B cost me $238 here but trust me, they are worth it !!)

Now my question is this:

> national reseller here is new on the product, and he found very funny to shift the 2003 price tag which was 9000 euros (around $US 11160) to...an insane 15200 euros ($US 18850)

> so I'm gonna find some channel to buy them from the U.S. by myself and I'd like to know if you Pros had an idea:

- about the current price and availibility of new Khorns in U.S. (i've heard around $8000 and 6 months)

- would you advise to search for used/Vintage Khorns best than new ones, taking into account the different developments (speakers brands, metal or plastic horns, tweeters, crossovers)....???

anyway thanks in advance for any reply/advice & happy new year to all

1.gif1.gif

----------------

On 12/16/2003 12:46:21 AM Hepta Bronte wrote:

Yep, I'm putting Deang in retirement for a while.

This is what's sitting inside of his bass bin. Gee, I wonder what it would cost to fill that thing up with Jensens?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DSC000261.JPG">

----------------

Dean,

What are we looking at here?

Khornquest,

I do believe the following dealer may do International Shipments. The Audio Connection, Stereo Video Center, (812) 232-1663, Towne South Plaza, Terre Haute, IN 47802 Now, you might also try the Dealer Locator on this site, and find one in Europe offering more reasonable pricing.

Dee,

Your pictures didn't show up in your post. Did you upload to the server first? You can't copy from your PC into a post. At any rate, what were you asking about exactly -- the crossover picture I posted earlier in this thread? If so, that's the new crossover being used in current production Klipschorns.

Dee,

Your pictures didn't show up in your post. Did you upload to the server first? You can't copy from your PC into a post. At any rate, what were you asking about exactly -- the crossover picture I posted earlier in this thread? If so, that's the new crossover being used in current production Klipschorns.

----------------

Yep, the pic of the crossover on your post. New Khorns, eh. ]

Impressive looking. I can't tell from the pic where it is located on the Khorn. I was talking to the parts dept at Klipsch and they have a $900 upgrade for Khorns which includes a pair of tweeters, mid drivers and xovers. Sure would be interested to hear them head to head with older gear. Do you have an idea about the sound? That could be a new thread, too.

Yes, the AK-4 Upgrade Package is $900 per speaker, $1800 for the pair. Two boards, two midrange drivers, and two tweeters.

The board is attached to the removable inside panel of the bass bin.

As far as how they sound, I have no idea. Typical Heritage I'm sure. Screeching treble, blaring midrange, and a nice rubbery bass.9.gif

Maybe I need to take a road trip to Hope. There is no longer a retailer in LR who has Heritage speakers on display. I'd like to see that new Khorn.

Tom and Dean, On the question of whether the $900 outfits one or two Khorns... when I called Parts yesterday, the rep said that the $900 upgrades a pair of Khorns. two tweets, two mids, two xovers. Does not include the mid-horn, since it is assumed that the owner would have it.

I'm waiting for Dean's impressions on the new Khorns with the latest drivers and networks. I don't know how you are able to stand the wait Dean. Do you call every day to see how they're coming? How much longer are they telling you it is going to take?

Of course now you need a new amplifier and the search will keep you occupied for a little while at least.

Rick

----------------

On 12/27/2003 1:13:09 PM Hepta Bronte wrote:

Khornquest,

I do believe the following dealer may do International Shipments. The
Audio
Connection
, Stereo Video Center, (812) 232-1663, Towne South Plaza,
Terre Haute
IN
47802 Now, you might also try the Dealer Locator on this site, and find one in Europe offering more reasonable pricing.

Dee,

----------------

thanks a lot Hepta, I'll take good care of your info about the Audio Connection...I guess you won't be surprised to

that I already tried anything (except dropping down in stores all around Europe with a parachute) around there.But in

UK, reseller won't trade anything but Promedia (no Heritage), Belgium does have the Khorns but he'll kill ya with

a 15732 euros fee (around US$ 19586)

Dee, we may have to email Trey Cannon or Bob Gassel to get that one straightened out. I'm pretty sure it's $1800 for the pair. It sure as hell better be, because it was a driving factor in me deciding to go with new ones. Mint used Klipschorns are between $2K and $3K, and by the time I added the cost for shipping and the upgrade package, I thought -- mind as well buy new ones.

Rick, it's worse than you can imagine. I'm driving to Terre Haute on Monday for the pickup, and I have NO gear at home to run them with. Frank Van Alstine won't have my preamp ready for three weeks, and I still haven't made a choice yet for the amplifier(s). The original plan was to use the lag to build the false corners, but I just don't have the energy right now.