H.H. Scott 299D Info/Opinions

----------------

On 12/15/2003 7:24:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

The only draw back to this amp is tube availability. There is only one current production tube made for it and NOS supply are not cheap. This New production tube is too tall for the factory cases but the case issue was recently solved by a forum member that is now offering pretty darn nice oak cases at least from the pictures I seen. So other then the lack of wide selection of output tubes there is no real draw back. The EH new production tubes do sound very good.

The sound of a 299D is liquid smooth with great bass punch.

Craig

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PS I will respond to your email here in a second !

----------------

So should I sell my 299 D's and buy a 299C? The tube availabilty is a bit troubling to me. Although I am one of the lucky buyers of the beautiful custom oak cabinets that Alan (arfz28) is making.

Thanks,

----------------

On 12/15/2003 10:02:28 PM tillmbil wrote:

I have the Scott 299D, rebuilt by Nosvalves, and the case mentioned above.

The Scott is pushing Hereseys in the garage currently and is incredibly clear and liquid. It also has a JBL 10" powered sub attached and sounds great together. The Hereseys have great acoustics but are a little shy in the bass department to me.

I have the case built by Allan and it complements the amp perfectly.

You can not go wrong with the advice from this forum. You did not list your speakers. That would help with advice given. I can crank the Hereseys with the Scott and there is no distortion, just curious neighbors.

I used to power all my systems with SS gear and have now made believers out of all my friends that tubes are the way to go.

Lots of luck

----------------

Hopefully once I get my 299D back from Craig tweeked out to the max I will not need a sub with my Cornwalls?

Thanks,

Piranha

• 18 years later...

Hello, about 35 years ago a friend of mine loaned me for several years a sansui 1000a tube stereo receiver, along with this came to large pioneer floorstanding speakers from 1969, all of this he got from a friend who was in the Vietnam War.
I remember the sound of this along with the heat from the tubes and how heavy the receiver was, but the sound was so beautiful.
My question is is there anything like this would a Scott or a sheerwood or even a Fisher which seemed to be readily available be the same?
I've seen sansui 1000a on eBay but they're not refurbished!
In closing is there any good website to learn more about stereo tube amplifiers/receivers from the 1960s?