H.H. Scott 299D Info/Opinions

OK, smilins' been a posting fool today, he made me do this!!

Looking for opinions on the 299D. I've read every thread that a search with 299D in the topic returns. What are it's drawbacks or limitations? Only one I could find was the price of it's output(?) tubes, and that as of last no one was making good new replacements. Smilin has made me an offer I can hardly refuse, and not knowing anything more about tubes than one can read here in a few months, I'd like any and everyones' opinions to the unit's sound, functionality, cosmetics, user-friendlyness, etc. As always, thanks for any and all replies, and thanks for having such a nice place filled with level-headed people willing to go out of their way for a newbie.

p.s. I apologize if I offended anyone in any previous posts regarding your listening skills. 15.gif No one in particular, though I sometimes paint with a rather large brush. Just a newbie with teething pains. 1.gif

The only draw back to this amp is tube availability. There is only one current production tube made for it and NOS supply are not cheap. This New production tube is too tall for the factory cases but the case issue was recently solved by a forum member that is now offering pretty darn nice oak cases at least from the pictures I seen. So other then the lack of wide selection of output tubes there is no real draw back. The EH new production tubes do sound very good.

The sound of a 299D is liquid smooth with great bass punch.

Craig

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PS I will respond to your email here in a second !

If I may be so bold as to go out on a limb here, I assume when we say "case" we are talking about the actual external structure, the top, sides, etc., not the chassis itself? If so, then I may be in luck, as I am fairly handy with a set of wood working tools and/or metal fabricating. Does anyone have a link to the case pics that Craig speaks of? As I recall, the tubes were to tall to fit under the cover? I could handle making a new cover. Although it seems there was some mention of some newer tubes being too closely spaced?

Too many thread reads ago. If that's the case, would a chassis mod be in order? NOT something I'd want to undertake myself.

Ryan,

You should really quit the inaccurate specs the Scott amps the 299D is rated at 34 watts per channel the 299C is 31 watts per channel and the truth be told nither one can deliver there rated wattage with both channels driven. In reality both are about 28 watts per channel. I'm sure this will start a long drawn out ridicules discussion. But I'm stepping out no time for nonsense.

Craig

I came across one that looks like new. It was put in storage more than 25 years ago. It has perfect lettering the tubes looks great (EICO 7591's) not even a hint of rust.

The owner fired it up a week ago and it is working fine (I advised him to use a variac but he didn't). It is missing the rubber feet,abd has no cabinet.

How much should I offer?

Guy,

Offer him $300 and see what he says! You can always go up. Heck the guy may only think its worth $50 you just don't know!! I guess this is an ethics thing. I have no clue what your ethics consist of on a situation like this?

Ryan,

you know as well as I that its best to quote the modern day standard of what these amps produce Scott gave both ratings and you know it! The amp is not a 40 watt per channel amp no way no how.

Craig<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If I may be so bold as to go out on a limb here, I assume when we say "case" we are talking about the actual external structure, the top, sides, etc., not the chassis itself? If so, then I may be in luck, as I am fairly handy with a set of wood working tools and/or metal fabricating. Does anyone have a link to the case pics that Craig speaks of? As I recall, the tubes were to tall to fit under the cover? I could handle making a new cover. Although it seems there was some mention of some newer tubes being too closely spaced?

Too many thread reads ago. If that's the case, would a chassis mod be in order? NOT something I'd want to undertake myself.

Here is a picture of a cabinet(case) I built and is now sitting around Bills 299d. Hope the picture works

post-8918-13819250713418_thumb.jpg

Alright guys... there has to be a better way than "My amp can beat up your amp!" While I realize that there are ging to be differences in "sound output", including all the variables of headroom, speaker impedance, etc., shouldn't there be a standard that all amplifiers can be measured against? Oh, wait, there is!!! IMHO, since everything anyone reads about specs these days is weighted in some way that I can't remember, can't you just measure output with the same weighting scale to make it commensurate with todays measurement standards? Or am I all wet? If so, then just shove me under and let me drown in my own champagne/beer, as the case may be, depending on if Max is feeling generous again. Reminds me of how cars used to measured in one way for HP for advertising, then measured another way and rated artifically low to get better insurance ratings. Thankfully SAE stepped in and made a standard. I'm sure there is such a thing for audio, is there not? BTY, speaking of SAE, what are anyone's opinions on their audio equipment? I know they made a slew of different components "back in the day" and though SS, as far as I know, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Anyone?

Seeing it, I remember the post. Seems the unit slid right into/out of the front? Looks good, can't be that tough to make. As I recall, you used some sort of industrial Stainless mesh for the grill portion? Sure I could come up with the same, or something the same but different. (I always liked that saying, maybe because so many people hate it.)

The cabinet just sits around the scott amp, it is adjustable with 4 gold screws used as feet on the bottum of the cabinet, just set it around your scott and if you want to take it off just pick the cabinet up. The metal grating on top is expandable metal that can be found at welding shops and then you paint it gold, its hard to cut thow you at least need a dremmel to do so.

BTY, speaking of SAE, what are anyone's opinions on their audio equipment?

---------------

I bought a 50W amp and preamp back in the late 70's and they powered my Cornwalls for years. They were bright, a little light in the bass department, but made lots of noise. They survived until the late nineties when they were replaced by an Acurus amp and preamp. The Acurus was cleaner, clearer and was great for separating the instruments. Changes to cables, wires, supports for the cd player all made a difference. The only problem, the sound was bright, enjoyable for 40 minutes or so and then my ears started to cringe. My Scott LK-72,(kit version of the 299C, upgraded by Craig) beats both hands down for about the same money as I paid for the SAE years ago.

I still have the SAE amp, preamp and single parabolic eq in the house as a back up if something goes wrong. It would probably sound better on a less efficient speaker.

I have the Scott 299D, rebuilt by Nosvalves, and the case mentioned above.

The Scott is pushing Hereseys in the garage currently and is incredibly clear and liquid. It also has a JBL 10" powered sub attached and sounds great together. The Hereseys have great acoustics but are a little shy in the bass department to me.

I have the case built by Allan and it complements the amp perfectly.

You can not go wrong with the advice from this forum. You did not list your speakers. That would help with advice given. I can crank the Hereseys with the Scott and there is no distortion, just curious neighbors.

I used to power all my systems with SS gear and have now made believers out of all my friends that tubes are the way to go.

Lots of luck