Think I found the SET amp I'll build

NOSValves

Yeah, I shoud have figured the Bench supply didn't have a 2.5 filament tap.

Now that I remember...

Dan doesn't have a 2.5 filament tap on his DC tube supply either, he used external 2.5 volt filament transformers.

His DC tube bench supply was a "Employee Discount" item when he worked for Magnavox back around 1966.

It's a 500 volt supply at 200 milliamps, it uses 6550's.

He said that supply would be the last to go if he ever gives up audio.

I think they should just bury it with him, 'cause I don't see him giving up on audio.

That's my plan when the money isn't as funny, a DC tube bench supply! Why not?!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/20/2003 2:58:01 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Craig,

Well, since I've been a customer whom you know all too well doesn't have much tech knowledge or skill, my response is definitely non technical. It's a cool looking amp, for sure. A couple of things I'd mention are: Wouldn't there have been some pretty significant improvements over a design from 1929? Of course, I'd do well to assemble a kit, but I'd also be inclined to build from a tried and true circuit design like JFL's Horus.

my $.02----------------

Dandydee

Exactly where do you think the circuit for the Horus really came from ?? Where do you think all the SET circuits in use today really came from. Don't kid yourself there are no completely new designs that come out on the market today. This stuff was researched out long ago and far away in another galaxy. Everyone is just tweaking old circuits or doing a variation of a variation of a variation of something that was designed years ago.

Craig

----------------

On 12/20/2003 4:43:33 PM mdeneen wrote:

welcome---short question regarding the 6SL7 bypass.

It looks like 220uF is much larger than would be required - maybe by 10X. Did you do that because of what you had in the stash? And, was the extra 6dB or so of gain required?

Again, welcome!

mdeneen

----------------

Sure, you can use a smaller cathode bypass cap, or an unbypassed

cathode resistor. It happens that I have a bag of really good 220uF

Sprague Extralytics that I like for this function, so that got used.

The bigger the bypass cap, the less the low frequency phase shift.

Other concerns of cap quality and availability really predominate over

numeric value in this setting. It isn't "wasteful" or shameful to use

"too big" a cathode bypass cap. I usually prefer the sound of a

bypassed cathode. Theoretically, you get less "distortion" with an

unbypassed resistor contributing degenerative feedback. Resistor

quality and sound then become very important. I would use 1/2 Watt or 1

watt carbon comp if I did that, or expensive bulk foil, like Vishay,

not metal film; maybe a high quality wirewound if it sounded good.

That's the final arbiter, how it sounds, not theoretically "lower

distortion".

Hey, Wardsweb:

I love the chassis work -- that IAG is the same one I used for my parallel feed Horus amps. You did some really fine metal work on that! I should have gone to that Bottlehead meeting to see these (and meet ya!) in person! I'm curious: Have you tried the Ultrapath/G.E. connection with a larger capacitor and an unbypassed resistor? I'm using a 47mf. Solen cap. in this position, and the 2A3 cathode resistor is all by itself -- very much like the conventional DRD approach.

Speaking of DRD, the Horus amps used to be AC-coupled (with .1mf Jensen PIOs), and I am just about finished with a revision of the input/stage. This will include paralleled sections of a 6N1P (lower output drive impedance), and a plate suppy via a choke-reactor. This will be direct-coupled to the 2A3 grid. I think a parallel (or shunt) feed output would be something you would like very much -- I have built and used both types of outputs, and really prefer the latter. Combined with the Ultrapath out put as Leo described above, it is fantastic -- very quiet, detailed, and as you mentioned, provides good isolation from PSU artifacts.

Just for kicks, you might also try taking off one leg of the cathode R bypass cap on the input. As Leo has done, and also mentioned to me via email, it is perhaps a slightly less than 'pure' design; however you are using very good quality electrolytics to do the job. I have done this for the second time on the Moondogs as an experiment, and plan on not using a capacitor in that position on the Horus input revision. That should be finished possibly later today-tomorrow.

Really excellent post, thanks for joining us here! I will add a follow-up post to show how I set up the chassis -- Again, your metal work is just superb, Wardsweb! Where are you in Texas, again?

Erik thanks for all the accolades. As you may suspect, I have a passion for audio. Tie this to a life spent in electronics and I have the perfect hobby, shall I dare say, obsession. The next Bottlehead meet will be Jan 17th in Terrell Texas, just east of Dallas. You may read more about it on at Official Lone Star Bottleheads Website

As for me, I'm in San Antonio.

Wardsweb: The compliments are deserved. Everyone who comes to this forum has a passion for audio -- and sure! describe it as an obsession. Once one gets going with it, it's hard to put on the breaks. I tell myself weekly that I'm going to stop with the fiddliing and tweaking... and the new output or input/driver topology, or the different coupling capacitors, or the PIO/FI issue, or the PP-SET-Watt battle ground...or the whatever crazy idea I happened to get into my head.

I'm just about done with the new choke-loaded, direct-coupled driver on the former Horus (I'm not sure what to call the thing, anymore). I hope I like this better than the original design, because it's been quite a bit of work! The Horus was already a very quick, great sounding amplifier, but once I finished and heard the DRDs, I couldn't help but wonder how the DRD driver stage would do in a parallel-feed, ultrapath output 2A3 amp!

• 2 weeks later...