Think I found the SET amp I'll build

NOSValves

"The caps are held down with waxed cotton cord used in lacing wiring harnesses..."

Oh, you mean shoestrings. :~)

That's some mighty fine work there. I swear, if there was an easier way of going about punching those holes I might give this kind of thing a whirl myself.

I don't understand what I'm seeing with the "lugs" coming off of the transformer. What did you do here?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely stunning SET monoblocks! Wish I had DIYer blood running through my veins to be able to create these things. I suppose that's the main reason why I'm so attracted to Edmund Lam's tube components; he designs and builds his homegrown BEZ tube amps and preamps in his apartment in Hong Kong.

----------------

On 1/4/2004 3:46:11 PM rigma wrote:

Graig,

What did you tell me the bias voltage on my MK-III was. Remember I have the Triode boards with 10 ohm bias resistor.

MB
----------------

If your running KT88's or 6550's the setting would be .70 volts DC

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/20/2003 11:18:42 AM NOSValves wrote:

I think I have found a SET amp I'm going to build for myself! I may vary this design into a set of mono blocks rather then the dual mono setup. I will be hearing this setup in February at the audio Karma audio fest in
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />
Detroit
on my own speakers. I'm sure the setup at the fest will not be optimal but should give me some solid impressions.

I will either use the specified Iron or upgrade to the DS-025 from Magnequest. I probably use some custom made Power transformer to get all the needed taps in one package rather then the filaments on a separate transformer. Not sure about that yet.

This is based on the Loftin-White Design from 1929

what do the SET experts around here think? I sure hope this doesn't turn into another militarized zone. Its to close to Xmas for battles.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Craig

----------------

How's the project coming?