MC225 Allan?

joshnich

I am about to pull the trigger on a MC225. It is in absolute perfect-almost showroom condition. I think I will be able to get it for 900 to 1000.00 - from a very reliable local - no shipping sourse. My question is .. Is this a "good " example of Mcintosh tube equipment. I know that I will be able to re coup my purchase price but Id rather not go throught the hassle if its just considered "OK: Mac stuff.

josh

Josh,

In St. Louis circles, the MC225 is the most highly prized, even more exalted than the MC 30s. Some think the higher powered Macs get away from the preferred Mac sound. I feel that most Macs are a little chesty, but at $1,000, you are flying about $4-500 below the market for a great shape MC225.

The only caveats I would add is 1)check that the tubes are good and 2)make sure it is not a MacKit; though I haven't heard of one, there are new things with vintage Macs I see every month!

A good example is the Mac MC40, which has one on Ebay now. Good luck on closing what sounds like a great deal.

thanks for the advice. Actually the unit has just been retubed, Input tubes are all NOS RCA and the out outs are brand Audio Harmonics. anout 200 bucks worth of tubes s I think Im in good shape.

BTW where are you in St L. I get there about once a month. GREAT town!!! I love it there. I have an office in soulard near the brewery but get around the town a fair bit. Vintage Vinyl on the loop has a great deal of my money!!!

Josh

Josh,

my wife has to pick up her two cases of free suds once a month from where the horses lift their tails2.gif What do you do?

We live just off 55S and Lindbergh, e-mail me and we can hook up at Vintage or pound suds at the house.

If they just replaced the tubes, ask that they retain the old ones. The vintage Mac output tubes generally were not rode hard and hung to dry wet, so the seller may be trying to make more $$$. A quad of Mac labeled outputs can range from $120 to 250, depending on how they test and how stupid a deep pocketed collector is. Shot tubes make great lights for stockings, too!

I've owned two MC-225 over the years and they are very nice amps--certainly better than the MC-275 and not all that different, really from the MC240--not a gutsy perhaps but you don't need to blow $500 on a decent set of output tubes to make it sound its best! I wouldn't trade my MC-30s for one, but you will NOT go wrong at $900. I have no idea if the new Russian 7591 is any good, but digging up a quad of good vintage 7591 isn't NEARLY as hard as you might be led to believe. Plus, in a MAC circuit you don't have to worry about matched pairs!

Thanks Dave and Allan,

I am going to get it. Should be hooked up on tuesday!. Dave - Ill email you before I come to town- probably after the the new year and we can explore vintage vinyl or have a bud or three. Allan thanks for your thoughts - now get Chris excited about vinage Mac!!!!.

josh

Gary,

I've been cranking on the new house/old house switcheroo and have only had time to stick them in my tube cabinet shrine. I'm sending my original 299c to Craig tomorrow, and then I have a LK72 and Dee's 299c for him to check out also. I got the back yard mowed today with the temps in the 60s this afternoon.

Tomorrow I need to buy a saw and air hammer so I can get 180 linear feet of oak baseboard installed upstairs. My wife's uncle might be loaning me his mitre saw, but only if I let him listen to the Khorns while I do all the work2.gif

I'll be attending next month's antique radio club meeting in St. Louis - a couple guys have already mentioned they are interested in any Atwater tubes$$$$$. Right now I'm listening to the MX110 dialed in to KMOX. It's a blast, listening to the original 50,000 watt clear channel am station west of the Mississippi, on vintage equipment born within a couple years of my natal1.gif

Josh,

pull the trigger that is a pretty darn good deal and can give you another great taste of the joy of tubes. I recieved the tube by the way. Been pretty busy so no determination yet. Will listen all week and see what I come up with. The Russian 7591 sound really good and are cheap. I will disagree with Alan yes the NOS 7591's can be found but finding real good ones is getting hard I deal with this issue all the time. I guess it really depends on your idea of what is expensive.

Dave,

I dare you mention 60 degree wheather !! I'm freezing my butt off up here 2.gif

Craig