Klipsch Chorus II's

T2K

After waiting and looking around for quite some time a pair of walnut Chorus II's became available in my area a few weeks ago. I bought them. They are in excellant condition. I have only had a few hours to listen to them in the past few weeks but I can already tell that I am going to enjoy them much more than the 600 US dollars that they replaced.

I am using the Chorus for 2-channel with a Scott 222-C and, when I get it set up, my turntable. The speakers sound just as they appear. Large. My room is 16x20x9 with one long wall mostly open, only a 10' wall on that side. They easily fill the whole house with sound.

The speakers seem to hit their stride at about the 12:00 o'clock position on my Scott. At that volume they are loud. When I first got them home I wanted to hear them before going to bed so I quickly popped the bananas from my HT setup and listened. The SS frontend sounded terrible. I imagined deang crying for mercy. With the Scott the sound is quite different. I have tried several different preamp tubes and I can see that these speakers will easily reveal differences in tubes, speaker wire, and recordings. It will take awhile to get the sound that I want from them, but I think they are the speakers that I WAS looking for.

Thanks to the members here that I spoke with privately for their opinions of the Chorus II's and Forte II's. Although the Forte's originally seemed to have more bass, the Chorus are certainly not slouchy in the bass department. No sub needed. The Chorus, to my ears, seem to posses better upper end detail. Maybe too much. I think the right tubes will help there though.

I think these speakers are an excellant example of product from Klipsch's past. They not only sound great, they look great and are well built. I am proud to own them. More later.

Keith

Hey Hepta, Merry Christmas. The room actually doubles as my living room. The 2-channel system is portable as I have limited time to listen and already have the HT setup there. A dedicated room would be nice. Maybe after retirement in a few years.

I have followed Leok's posts in the past as I figured I would eventually buy either Chorus' or Forte' for my 2-channel setup. After getting more acquainted with their sound I intend to talk to him and hopefully take advantage of his knowledge of the Chorus for improvement.

Got to go, I hear Carlos in the other room. 2.gif

Keith

Thanks for all the comments. I've got them going right now. I've done a little tube rolling, a pair of black plate RCA 12AX7's along with some leftover AQ Slate wire seems to have taken some of the bite from them.

Can't help but think I should have bought the Forte II's while I had the chance. It took all the strength I could muster to walk away without the minty $400 Forte II's. Would have been fun to have compared the two in my room. When I heard them at the seller's home the Forte's seemed to have much deeper bass than the Chorus. In my room the Chorus bottom extension seems to approach subwoofer territory. That's with them standing out several feet from the rear wall.

BTW, these are 1990 models and have the brown/gold grills. Were those standard grills for Chorus II of that era. I have seen other Chorus II's with black grills. Would be nice to know.

Thanks for your help/comments Bob. Jhawk too.

Keith

In my departure from using the HT for music I picked up the Chorus IIs about 14 months ago.

Even with a high end Denon SS integrated there were only 2-3 "swweet spots" in wattage where they did not sound shrill. Bass of course was always firm.

I will need to get a test tone CD and see where they fall off in bass. The bass is certainly full to that threshhold.

In February I got the LEOK 8 watt PWM amp. This implementation of the technology is the closest to tubes in providing miniscule low wattatage distortion that I have ever heard. It was so much better in tweeter clarity than any of the 3 SS amps I tries it was unbeleiveable. It did run out of gas a bit when I wanted to play loud.

Scott LK-48 is where i will stay for a while. When I picked up my Scott from Craig he had me listen to his new Dynaco Marks. I was a bit disappointed on the drive home. I was concerned the Scott LK-48 would be lacking in performance.

Once the LK-48 recapped with bias mod was in my system it was where I needed to be.

After spending $ 5500 on HT gear from 1999 to june 2002 I was finally where I had a pleasing sound like my parents 1959 top of the line Motoraloa HIFI.

Tubes and Chorus II is a sweet combination for the pleasing reproduction of most musical tastes!

FedEx delivered my 222-C to the wrong address. I checked something like Maps.com and, using my address and zip code, it searched the entire US of A and showed an overhead view of my house. How the heck could they deliver it to the wrong house!!!???

After gingerly expressing my displeasure 12.gif to FedEx, they did a 'retrieval'. A couple of nights later I was leaving home for work, around 10:30 PM. About 1/2 block from my house I passed a FedEx truck racing toward my home. I stopped and watched in my sideview mirror. The truck stops in front of my house. I turn around and drive back to the truck. The FedEx guy is running back towards his truck. I say something like, 'kinda late to be making deliveries isn't it? '. He mumbles some lame phrase and I revive my earlier sermon about the importance of delivering packages to the correct address. We shake hands and come out fighting (J/K).

Anyway, a little over a year later and the Scott sounds better than ever. I can't imagine tolerating ChorusII's without a tube amp. You will be terribly happy with that Scott Bob. Merry Christmas.

Keith