Cayin EL-34 integrated on Steroids

Tubinhard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go looks pretty darn cool. These Chinese are something else ! I'm going to have a Cayin here next month to see for myself just what is what! It will probably be like the Lam preamp I'll just scratch my head and say "how the f_ck do they do it"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067250775&category=3280

Interesting! Cayin used to be quite 'big' in Germany some years ago. At the time their prices were attractive so you got quite a good amp for your money. They got a number of positive reviews in the local audio press, introduced more (up-market) models and....bingo: prices started to rise. As a result Cayin almost disappeared again from the market. Yes, they still have a distributor, but people are no longer after Cayin (or tubes for that matter). The latest tube brands to create some kind of 'excitement': Consonance and ASL.

But back to Cayin: they used to build an integrated amp using 300Bs. This was indeed my first SET encounter and at the time I liked it quite a lot. Built quality was very good, but the better is the enemy of the good. Once I got the 'lowly' Eico, I noticed what the Cayin didn't do. It was very smooth, had a seductive midrange, but at both frequency extremes nothing much happened. Now don't say that this was the typical SET vs PP difference, because once the Wrights hit home (yes I know, a different tube), I noticed that the Cayin was a good amp, but not the ultimate tube possibility, in dynamic recreation of music. The amp using EL34 that some of you own is surely nice (it was Cayin's 'first' popular amp over here), but even for that money I'd at least consider a rebuilt vintage amp.

Wolfram

No, for your music you want to keep your eyes focused on SET. The price of that Cayin puts you in Welborne Labs territory. you can get a pair of the amps (monoblocks) below with the Ulitmate Upgrade Package for $1700. If you want them assembled by Welborne Labs, it's an additional $300, but I believe Craig has a standing offer to build a set for free just so he can hear what the fuss is all about.

drd3.jpg

drd4.jpg

The Cayin that looks intreging to me is the TA 30 integrated. It can apparently be used as a push pull or a SET see http://www.cayinusa.com/ I would get it from Bizzy Bee audio as he offers a auricap upgrade as well as some other stuff.

The ability to run as a 4 watt SET or a 30 watt PP should appeal to a lot of folks on the forum that way they can argue with themselves!!! 1.gif

Josh

Josh,

The SE operation of that amp can really not be all that accurate example of what SE really has to offer there has to be major compromises when using PP Iron to run SE really any PP amp can do the same thing if enough bias adjustment is avaiable to achieve double the current draw for one tube operation.

Craig

I would never argue with myself when it comes to low-watt amps.

Even with the efficiency of Klipschorns, anyone going the SET route is severely limiting what kind of music he can listen to with justice done to it. Yes, if you want to listen to a recording of a solo lute player in a small room, you might be able to squeeze by with SET. But if you want to really take control of the air in the low frequencies, the idea of using SET is ludicrous. You can get the same dB level with two different set-ups but be hearing completely different presentations. All I can figure is that a lot of people like a weak and dainty rendition of music.

All speakers are inefficient to some degree--watts you put in do not yield the same amount of acoustic watts. Klipsch recommends having the capability of 5 acoustic watts in an average sized living room. With a 3-speaker array of two Klipschorns and a center Belle, this would be accomplished with each speaker being driven by a 20-watt amplifier. Otherwise, it's nap time instead of feeling goosebumps.

Klipsch recommends 20 watts minimum for all their Heritage series speakers. They do not recommend SET or any other low-watt amps. All loudness is not equal. To reproduce music properly instead of anemically, you have to have sufficient power. There is no getting away from the basic laws of physics by applying the so-called magic of SET.