I don't know what to call them ......but

Erik Mandaville

I'm pretty sure they are finished, now.

What I have made is a monoblock pair of parallel-feed DRD 2A3s. I'm not sure if they should be called DRD Horus 2A3s, or parallel-feed DRDs, but guess it doesn't really matter. The only things left of the original Horus, are parts of the PSU, as well as the 12 ohm resistor on the AC ground lug to the chassis ground. I had accidentally left that out on one amp, and it was the source of the hum I was getting this evening. It is a very cheap and effective cure JFL used on his Horus amps.

It's interesting to note that about 500VDC B+ is about what is needed to do this circuit;however, there is just about 265 volts across the tube. Fine for both NOS 2A3s and current production.

I wish I could call this my own design, but I couldn't have arrived here without the hard work of JFL (and Doc B and others experimenting with parafeed outputs), and Jack Eliano. I posted some few hundred posts ago about how curious it might be to combine parafeeding with the DRD/Ultrapath circuit, and so far things sound good to me.

Any thoughts on what it should be called? Honestly, I'm trying to think of something that gives credit to those who brought this circuit together. Maybe something as simple as DRD Horus 2A3 would work...

Whatever, I guess that will get worked out later on.

Just thought I would share this. It's been a bit of work to get things balanced out, and this circuit really seems better, clearer, and more transparent without the Horus grid choke on the 2A3.

'night.

Ditto what Rick said. You can always credit the original designers in your reworked circuits of "your" amp, but you alone came up with this one design. Call it what it deserves to be called, the "Mandaville 2A3".

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?2.gif

1.gif These responses made me laugh!!! Thanks both for that and for the comments.

I agree, Paul, Neo, Rick, Mike (LOL!),Tom, Dean (that 47 Labs Gaincard is cool!) --all of you. I tend to get wordy, sometimes to a fault, I think. I remember one time in Grad school, a fellow art student who was suppposed to provide an explanation of his sculpture during a formal Master's critique said, "I don't have say anthing about my work -- or call it anything. It all speaks for itself."

Both Profs, present looked at one another, and then both said almsot at the same time, "Well you better say something or call it something, 'cuz right now we don't hear a damn thing!"16.gif God, that was funny at the time!

As far as commercial possibilities, I don't know. Eliano shared the DRD/Ultrpath circuit in VTV, but indicated it isn't for commercial production. It was intended for interested DIYer types, only. But what's different, is of course the parallel feed output, so who knows. Somebody sure as heck should do this, though!

'Mandeville' with an 'e' after the 'd' was the original spelling, and changed when the old folks came to this country -- first from France, then Holland, I think.

Thanks for the input. Maybe this is the amp I mentioned I wanted to make about 6 months ago -- and did it without really trying to do it. A few things just sort of fell into place and it happened. It works and sounds pretty good.

Erik,

Post a schematic, maybe I'll try to build a pale imitation. Leo has expressed a willingness to sell me his original Electra-print trannies from his 'dogs. It's not a para-feed deal, I know, but I might be able to get part-way there while I save up pennies for later.

Which front-end tubes are you using.

Tom

Tom:

The schematic wouldn't be a problem, but do you have the original one I did of my own version of the Horus?

Substitute the entire DRD front end for that, as well as the series cathode resistors on the 2A3...take out the grid choke, etc.

Maybe I should just redraw another schematic, right?!

I think a DRD with Leo's transformers would be a great SET amp! Certainly would be cheaper than parafeed, which was quite a bit even without the cobalt on the OPTs.

Yours most certainly wouldn't be a pale imitation, Mike. It would be a slightly different amplifier, and a very good one at that!

"Yours most certainly wouldn't be a pale imitation, Mike. It would be a slightly different amplifier, and a very good one at that!"

Uh...I think you mean Tom.

My SET amp ain't even close, it uses a 6EA7 for a driver.

Oh yes, the infamous write-up required for one's art project. Color and Design I hated the worst, she always wanted more damn paperwork than artwork.

Art History it was expected. And at 18, it was rather boring. At 39, it's pretty interesting now!

I could never put on paper that would corelate with the project, I hated that sh*t!

Sculpture class. I hate people hoverin' over me when I do work, and the Teacher asked me about it.

He said quite a bit of Artist's are the same way.

He liked me, he gave a B for a semester that I only went to for about a week.

Let's say I wasn't ready to go to community college yet.

Leo:

The driver is a single 6N1P with grids, plates, and cathodes paralleled. This front end is virtually identical (minus input cathode bypass capacitor)to the DRD, and the rest is essentially a DRD with parafeed output. The main work was getting the bias balanced out on the 2A3, which also functions as a voltage divider for the 6N1P plate choke. With 500VDC B+, all voltages are in series, and I'm running the 2A3s at about 265V, anode to cathode.

The Welborne/Eliano DRD uses a bit more HT filtering than I have, and I may add another filter cap in the power supply. I also worked out things within the chassis in order to accommodate a large Ultrapath oil capacitor down the road...

Tomorrow I want to try the NOS 2A3 Blackplates Marie got me for Christmas. The Golden Dragons that were in the Horus before these changes were made were truly much quieter than the Sovteks, which I think are great tubes. Mine just make quite a bit of noise, for some reason...