Crown vs. QCS amps:

kenratboy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm a little late on this thread... but I just thought I'd mention that both the Crown XLS and QSC RMX amps offer excellent "bang for the buck"...

Contrary the brand reputation, my understanding is that the crown XLS amp actually has the louder fan of the two. This is from assorted postings I saw on the net specifically at the HomeTheatherForum... I don't have them to actually compare the two, but you could ask around if the purchase is not already done. There is also a list of compatible quiet fans for the QSC RMX amp if your into mod'ing the amp. These were tested by QSC tech staff.

Bryston makes excellent amps, but nowhere near the cost of the XLS or RMX in question regardless of power.

Later...

Rob

My latest Parts Express mailing has 500W and 1000W plate amps listed, but at 4 ohms...listed 8 ohm output is about half that. The 500W is $300 and the 1000W is $400. You may be turned off at these since yours fried. Just passing along some info. Oh, they throw in a 4M Monster sub cable.

Space

I am also late on this post and will stick my neck out a bit. (whats new)

I am very surprised at Art's comments. Months ago he took the time to explain tubes to me.(thanks)

In the 70's, I ran two DC300a, 7-T preamp,two cornerhorns,four LaS. The Crowns were the coldest, brightest, harshest power amps that I have ever owned. Good power but cold and unstable. The preamp power cord was pulled from the wall one time and the 300's unloaded. Took out six tweeters. A buddy bought a IC-150(?) preamp & D150 power amps. I thought that they were gutless thru Cornwalls. I later owned two M-600 power amps with the same overly bright, harsh "snappy" sound.

I now use two Lux M-117 bridged at 420w. Much power, but smooth, warm, tubie sound. I am not trying to offend anyone,but what am I missing here? What are you hearing that I am not?

Regards,

tc

IB Slammin:

I am looking for 'vicious' power. I want no mercy. I don't want a 'musical' amp. I want a brute. According to what I have read, my sub needs a LOT of power AND current, horsepower and torque, and while a $5,000 audiophile monoblock would be cool, I am looking to spend about $4,700 less 1.gif I really need 500 - 1000 watts, and a pro amp is the only thing that can deliver for a real price.