RF-7's

JBP

I think what peole don't believe or think of is that tube amps and ss amps are differnt in big ways. You don't need as much power with tubes than with ss. Also you are missing some things in the music with tubes. Tubes are smooth and great.

I think the ideal way to run the sevens are biamped.

Tubes on the tweeter and the great bass slam with the ss on the woofers. I have not heard this but I would put money on it they would sound like one of the best speakers you all have heard.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My RF-7's are powered by a Monarchy SM-70 Pro. which is connected to the L/R Channel pre-outs of my Marantz SR-19 EX receiver. To be sure, the upgrade in sound quality a noticable, and the Marantz's amp section is pretty darn good.

However, the SM-70 is putting out only about 30 WPC in pure class A, and it keeps up more than adequately with the other channels of the Marantz in HT mode, which are rated at 130 watts. Go figure. 1.gif

MrMcgoo, thanks for the quick explaination. That is the best way I have ever heard it put in a few short sentences. I never did get a concrete answer from Klipsch. I have a question then, should my future upgrades be toward tubes, SS, or bi-amping with tubes to the horns & SS to the woofers? I will continue to use my set up for HT but also enjoy 2 channel listening. Since bass is very important to me & I do not like screaming highs I was leaning toward a good rotel amp. Let me know what you think. The bi-amp sounds interesting

easylistener, How much Aragon are you referring to? The Stage One and 2007 are $5500 retail and can be had for around $4500. This is less than some top rated receivers and will sound better.

Another point. All too often I read that one receiver or pre/processor/amp plays louder than another. The best electronics that I have heard did not sound louder than the others. They just sounded cleaner. Noise sounds louder to the ears than high quality sound.

Dylani,

Tubes are not practical for home theater and muli-channel systems IMO. Most tube lovers restrict their tube efforts to two channel music.

Try running your RF-7s as small and rely on your excellent SVS subwoofer for the bass. Your Yamaha has a 90 Hz crossover. Tighter bass takes some getting used to. Try the opening scene to Star Wars II where the seantor's ship is landing. Go back and forth between large and small. The engine noise should have a clearly defined rumble, not a muddy rumble.

The small setting takes the load off of the amp so that no new amp is required. Bigger amps have a down side that is greater than cost. Klipsch speakers require that the first watt is a very clean watt. Bigger amps tend to be noisey at low wattage.

Bill

• 2 years later...

I guess I shall through my opinion. I agree with Rick. I ran my RF-7's on my receiver for a while and then decided to try a weird bi-amp theory out. I have been through a couple of amps and wasn't really happy until i hooked up two "outlaw audio m-200" amps.

i bi-wired the two 10" woofers to the outlaw audio amps, and the horns to my yamaha htr-5990 Channel A speakers. The sound is wonderful, full, rich bass and the horns will blow you away. I like to listen to my music in 2ch stereo, that is why i usually like to have a stronger bass output from my towers. and boy that extra wattage sure does the trick..

-Mani