On 1/2/2004 10:11:53 PM mark1101 wrote:

2003 purchases

1 pair LaScalas

1 pair Heresys

1 Scott 299

1 Scott 222

2 NOSValves rebuilds

1 DBX 1215 EQ

Happy New Year everyone. I hope I somehow have another fun year without spending as much. 2003 was awesome for me because of eveyone here and all I learned.

I already am looking at at least one Sony SACD player, 1 Scott tuner, and a DBX 1231 EQ right now. I guess the year is starting right.

Cheers everyone.

By the way Gary, I must be in the wrong line of work. Nice year pal. Also, I got DPs 27-30 and Closing of Winterland DVD for x-mas. Right now I'm listening to 30, Academy of Music, NY., NY. 3/25/72 (On the LaScalas). What did you say? huh? Can't hear you.

----------------

Mark,

You didn't do too bad yourself in '03! I was catching up after 20+ years of audio neglect (raising kids, putting wife through law school, etc.). You appreciate things more when you've worked hard to earn them and have had to wait IMO.

Let me know how those DPs are and which I should order first. I loaned the others to my brother about a month ago and haven't seen them since. Are you hooked on that Garcia Band show yet? The Harder They Come amazes me more and more every time I hear it which is probably going on 2,000. I was at that show but can't remember a thing. I have the original master tape from the radio station that hosted (my friend the DJ was taping from the soundboard). Stop me if you've heard this story.9.gif

Gary,

That JGB 3/18/78 show gets going and eventually sounds just like the Dead after awhile to me. I have played it over and over and to me it shows how much Jerry WAS the Dead back then. I wonder if the other guys learned anything from Jerry's solo shows? The Phil shows are also excellent. Great stuff for my collection.

I'll let you know on the new DPs. Thanks Gary.

----------------

On 1/3/2004 12:37:22 AM mark1101 wrote:

Gary,

That JGB 3/18/78 show gets going and eventually sounds just like the Dead after awhile to me. I have played it over and over and to me it shows how much Jerry WAS the Dead back then. I wonder if the other guys learned anything from Jerry's solo shows? The Phil shows are also excellent. Great stuff for my collection.

I'll let you know on the new DPs. Thanks Gary.

----------------

If I'm not mistaken, one of those DP's are the 5/19/77 show... one of the most sonically great nights of 1977 (if not THE most sonically great). It was the night after I saw them for the first time, 5/18/77 (also a killer show). Both were at the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA.

ah.. times past.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on that show.

Forrest

Alot's happened to me as well this past year...get laid off from a job of 17 years, sell everything I own, get a new job that pays diddly-squat. Then get promoted (twice), move up the company's corporate ladder, then receive the "Employee of the Year" award for 2003 (big surprise).

Congrats Jim! It's great to see you make such a nice bounbceback. 17 years is a long time to work somewhere, I'm on year 19 myself and it's gone by very quickly. Is my memory correct about you being at Guitar Center?

Happy New Year all!

My 2003 improvements were:

A bunch of 12AX7s to tube roll in my 222D

Got my B&O 4002 TT working again

Cartridge for above TT

Marantz 2270

KG4s

KHorn room has had carpeting replaced with wood floor. I was apprehensive about this, but I must say it did not negatively affect the sound. We do have two large throw rugs on the floor, so I'm sure this helps. Next step here is to get the rear baffles on these puppies so they seal up to the wall. Looking at getting a sander for some other wood that needs it and for the KHorns...they do need a face lift as they were the raw birch.

Yes Andy, Guitar Center has been very good to me! Was hired as a doorman while the new store was still under construction, then promoted to warehouse manager after the store's grand opening last April. Recently was again promoted to assistant operations manager. All this and I haven't even been employed with them a year yet! It's all good...I'm surrounded by Fender, Marshall, and Crate (and a used Mesa Boogie) vacuum tube guitar amps and heads, and we sell GrooveTubes (too bad they don't carry 300B and 6SN7s).