Where is Kelly?

neo33

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly said the following regarding an earlier stereo version of this amp:

I have some literature on these if you are interested. This includes comments in some reviews etc. If you are curious, email the seller and ask which output transformers are in this model. Some had better MagneQuest trans than others.

I am not sure why this model hasnt sold. It does put out less power than the Moondogs if you notice; not sure if these is a mistake from the seller or not. Also, when a SET can change between the 2A3 and 45 there are some compromises here.

The Fi gets great comments. I dont think a lot of people know what they sound like to be honest. I might cut and paste some comments on them in this thread later. Don Garber is held in high esteem and is an eccentric. The FI was his attempt at getting the most direct signal path in a totally unique chassis that made this possible.

Joe Roberts liked the Fi and if you read the article, "I never met a 2A3 amp I didnt like" you will see them. As a matter of fact, I have that article posted on my server. I'll put a link to it. I really RECOMMEND you read the whole article. It's really intereseting and WELL WORTH the read. I would like you to read it actually. The whole thing has merit.

By the way, one OTHER reason this amp is so much cheaper is that it is a STEREO SET amp. This saves A LOT of money in that you dont have a seperate PS for each amp (the X shares ONE output trans/ PS /Rect for both channels). A stereo amp DOES save a lot of money in the extra chassis too. I personally have always sort of opted for the monoblocks with the SET approach as this gives a dedicated PS to each amp with its own rectifier, trans, cord etc. I know Jeff has made some stereo SET amps too. Actually, thinking back on it, I have never heard a stereo SET amp of any kind. They have all been monoblocks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fi by ole Don Garber are considered EXCELLENT SET amps by many. They are much harder to find due to Don's more secluded nature, not to mention his on and off production. He has no website but you can get his contact info from the MagneQuest site in the OEM section (call him at 718-625-7353 ~ email: dgfi@earthlink.net )

His most famous 2A3 amp is the little X amp that is a esoteric a build as they come, this more construction wise. It's hard to get a more direct signal path. These X amps go for less than $900 on audiogon. They come with a MagneQuest transformer upgrade as well, worth the money from all reports. These amps always get good comments.

Below is a picture of his one of a kind X amp over his 2A3 Monoblocks. BTW, the pic below is nothing official ie not his logo but those are his amps from pic on my HD.

fi_post.jpg

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/I_never_met_a_2A3_amp_I_didnt_like.pdf

----------------

On 1/2/2004 11:57:37 PM DeanG wrote:

Sure it does. You've had extensive correspondance with him via email, and if you wanted to know where he was -- you could have easily emailed him. Why ask us? At any rate, I was just playing around.

Seen these yet? They are supposed to sound very good, and have several things you might find desirable. At one time, I would have bought these myself.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1078288227&class&3&4&

"<ahttp://www.fototime.com/A9C53D59CE42152/standard.jpg" border=0>

----------------

[/blockquot

I keep wondering about the possibility of filament sag with that horizontal mounting........????

Yes, he does -- and he's well regarded in SET circles.

No circuit delivers "perfection", just various flavors that all excite the palette. Some criticism can be leveled at any piece of good gear. I say buy something that appeals to you and enjoy it! A good design from a proven designer will in all liklihood leave you quite happy.

Haven't personally heard the Fi's, Don's work is well respected though. There's an old lingering PF review by David Robinson between the E.A.R, 47 Lab, Welborne, Wright and Fi amps, perhaps you are familiar with that write-up already..

Positive Feedback Vol. 8

The Tango Permalloy treatment may render a different animal, any contact with the eBay seller for the pair offered in Dec?

I did exchange emails with him back then and he was pretty firm on the two grand price. Actually, he was expecting more than that because of the Tango OPTs. I haven't talk to him since. I thought the price is a bit high and no one here seems to give me further insight. IMO, the OPTs are the more important components in any amp not just SET. However, I don't know if they warrant such a price for that Fi pair.