Blue Train

garymd

I picked up this classic John Coltrane lp a while back and I'm listening to it for the first time today while replacing my sump pump.

This is one awesome lp! I'm sure you guys know this already as did I but I'd never heard it on lp before (new blue note release). It's mesmerizing. The soundstage is incredible. I've got the altecs blasting at well over 100dbs so I can hear throughout the whole house.

Available at Tower Records for about $10.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This LP is really an anomoly when compared with all of John Coltrane's efforts for the Prestige lable from this same period. Coltrane participated in an INCREDIBLE number of Prestige dates between '56 and '58 both as a sideman and leader and they were ALL loose, informal "blowing sessions" in the great Prestige tradition. The best of these were when Coltrane was joined by the Miles Davis rhythm section--Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones(often spelled by Art Taylor)--some of these LPs were released under Coltrane's name, but most were released as Red Garland LPs--they are ALL worth checking out!

B000000YR0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000000YJF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

digit.jpg

coltrane.jpg

traneing.jpg

soultrane.jpg

Settin.jpg

standard.jpg

B000000YN0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But Blue Train was a COMPLETELY different type of session--the players were from the Blue Note stable (Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Kenny Drew, along with Chambers and Pilly Joe Jones) and the music was "Blue Note" hard bop, that is TIGHT, with dead-on emsemble blowing and no hiccups of any kind. Rather than being constricted by this format, Trane delivers his best playing and most interesting solos to date and shows that he is one of the GREAT tenor ballad player EVER on the Jerome Kern nugget "I'm Old Fashioned" which for me is the highlight of the LP along with Coltrane's solo on the title cut. ALL of the players contribute fabulous solos here, especially Fuller and Chambers. Just a KILLER record and absolutely essential for anyone who likes MUSIC!

Lynn,

I bought the lp (bluenote vinyl) from Tower Records in Rockville, MD. I don't recall the exact price but they had a few. If you can't find a copy, let me know and I'll pick one up for you if they still have some. It's a "must have" as Allan stated.

Lynn,

I just looked at the shrink wrap and it was $11.99 plus tax = approx. $12.60 USD. I can't access my email until tomorrow but if this is OK I'll pick one up this week for you assuming they still have copies.

After playing it for the 2nd time today, my wife insisted she'd had enough of that noise!6.gif I put some Eagles on to calm her down a little.5.gif

Right now I'm listening to Sonny Rollins, "Tenor Madness". What a record! It's one of the last three records in the first series of Acoustic Sounds "Best Jazz Ever" reissues. Listening to Rollins and Coltrane trade off is like watching Koufax vs Marichal. Of course Marichal wins.

APJ-124LG.jpg

Regards,

Chris

----------------

On 1/4/2004 6:28:28 PM ChrisK wrote:

Right now I'm listening to Sonny Rollins, "Tenor Madness". What a record! It's one of the last three records in the first series of Acoustic Sounds "Best Jazz Ever" reissues. Listening to Rollins and Coltrane trade off is like watching Koufax vs Marichal. Of course Marichal wins.

"<a
http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as60gif/APJ-124LG.jpg" border=0>

Regards,

Chris

----------------

There was nobody like Koufax but you had to love that high leg kick from Marichal.9.gif

----------------

On 1/4/2004 6:51:09 PM garymd wrote:

There was nobody like Koufax but you had to love that high leg kick from Marichal.
9.gif

----------------

Agreed. Koufax was/is a god. But don't forget Marichal was pretty handy with a bat.
2.gif

Chris

----------------

On 1/4/2004 7:21:11 PM Allan Songer wrote:

One of the saddest things I ever saw was a worn-out Marichal getting HAMMERED while tossing up softballs in a DODGER uniform! ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

----------------

I remember that Allan. Almost as pathetic as our east coast god, Jim Palmer trying to make a comeback. Some of these guys just can't seem to call it quits when it's their time. Can't really blame them. Who would ever want a great career to end, although Palmer had been retired for over 10 years by then!

Lynn,

Unfortunately, they were out. I ordered 3 copies. One for you, one for another forum member who I know will want a copy and one for the first reply from a forum member interested.

Anyone out there interested? There's got to be someone who wants one of these great lps!

While I was there a bought a 200 gram Blue Note reissue of Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin'" (one of my favs) and a 10" Blue Note reissue of Miles Davis, Volume #3. Not a lot of tunes on it but it's a cool lp. I'm sure Allan has it already. Allan - Is it good? Was it worth the $20 I paid?

I don't know when Blue Train will be in but it shouldn't be long. Definitely worth the wait! I'll let you all know.

Many Thanks !

That Sonny Clarke should be a honey. An original release went for HUGE bucks on Ebay a while back so someone likes it.

I've been running across new vinyl from time to time ...... Hopefully we will see more of this as time goes on.

Blue Note 1588, "Cool Struttin'" is one of those Blue Note titles that isn't all that rare (it was never cut out and remained in the catalog right up through the blue label Liberty/UA era) but is so highly sought after that it goes for big bucks--but the ONLY version that sells routinely for over $1000 is the FIRST pressing with the W. 63rd address, deep grooves and no "R" (registered trade mark)under the Blue Note--if it has the "R" it's worth HALF and if it has the "New York" labels it's worth about 1/8th and a "Liberty" is worth about $25. As far as sonics go, there is LITTLE DIFFERENCE among the "real" Blue Note pressings (mono with the RVG and "ear" in the dead wax)--the deep grooves hold up better to abuse, but in MINT condition I'm not convinced they sound any better than the early to mid-1960's pressings.

The current Classic Records "deep groove" replica is DAMN good and worth the $27 they get for it!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005H4V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was real excited when I stumbled across Cool Struttin. I only have the CD and really wanted the lp. I guess I could have found it on the net but never looked. I know what I'm listening to tonight.

Allan,

Any thoughts on the Miles Davis 10" lp (volume #3)?

I don't own any of the 10" Miles Davis Blue Notes, but I have the same recordings on Blue Note 1501 and 1502, the 12" releases titled Miles Davis Vol.1 and Vol. 2. Miles is often given credit for being at the vanguard of "new" music- Cool Jazz, Modal Jazz, Fusion. The Blue Note albums, which were made between 1952 and 1954 are really among the first "hard bop" recordings and featured some players who went on to become the masters of the genre, Horace Silver and Art Blakey. These recordings feature Miles at his "hardest," thats for sure. You're going to love this record.

MDVol3LP.jpg