Careful Buying Klipsch Online

Sublime40

Wow, that is pretty brazen. Wonder how in the heck the online "retailers" thought they'd be able to have authorized warranty service for their buyers?

Article text follows:

Klipsch lawsuit alleges illegal online sale of products

January 6, 2004

Indianapolis (Staff report) -- Klipsch Audio Technologies filed a federal lawsuit Monday against five online retailers, accusing them of selling its speakers illegally and infringing on its brand name.

In documents filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis, the locally based speaker manufacturer states that crazyeddie.com, 50TopSellers.com, AuthorizedElectronics.com, TheBestPriceStore.com and HomeTheaterPhiles.com obtained Klipsch speakers from the company's authorized dealers, then retailed them online and thus "unfairly" competing with Klipsch. The company has terminated its relationship with 16 dealers who shipped speakers to the five Web retailers.

----------------

In documents filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis, the locally based speaker manufacturer states that crazyeddie.com......obtained Klipsch speakers from the company's authorized dealers then retailed them online......

----------------

Crazy Eddie 2.gif

I just tried going to crazyeddie.com and all it says is:

We're sorry the Crazy Eddie web site is currently unavailable as our systems are being updated..

Yeah, probably being updated to remove Klipsch products...

I tried clicking on the Klipsch link and it just gave me an error about the page not being available.

I wonder if other companies are going to follow Klipsch's suit.

About the 16 retailers - I wonder if Tweeter is one of them.

Also to add, I notice that HomeTheaterPhiles.com no longer has Klipsch listed in thier speaker section. However, AuthorizedElectronics.com still has Klipsch product listed.

I spoke with one of the higher-up managers late this fall and he hinted that something like this was in the works. This is only a guess, but I'm thinking that the dealers listed in the article above learned the hard way that the serial number on the outside of the speaker is not the only one Klipsch puts on the product!

Well, either they just didn't remove the serial numbers at all, or there are serial numbers on the drivers. My JBL Pro 15" woofers have unique serial numbers, and I bet JBL has those recorded to their corresponding cabinets and on record, and Klipsch is probably the same.

----------------

On 1/6/2004 11:10:26 PM skonopa wrote:

I just tried going to crazyeddie.com and all it says is:

We're sorry the Crazy Eddie web site is currently unavailable as our systems are being updated.

Yeah, probably being updated to remove Klipsch products...

I tried clicking on the Klipsch link and it just gave me an error about the page not being available.

----------------

Weird! You'd think Crazy Eddie could have just deleted the Klipsch section and left the bulk of the site intact - they only sell about 50 other brands!

I'm glad I invested last month in Klipsch products - I'm glad to see a company putting quality before quantity.

Cleve

From the newscenter article:

----------------

Klipsh newscenter article says:

Klipsch has also retained the services of NetEnforcers.com, a brand protection company that assists Klipsch with shutting down auctions by unauthorized dealers using third party web sites such as Ebay and Yahoo. Klipsch officials said NetEnforcers.com has the bandwidth to continuously and tirelessly investigate Internet sales violations, file the appropriate paperwork with the third party web sites, and remove illegal auctions the same day they are found.

----------------

Now, does that still mean that John Q. Public can still sell his used Klipsch speakers through eBay? Just exactly what is an "Unauthorized Dealer" in the context of eBay and other auction sites. I would hope that they make the distinction between a real dealer and somebody that is just trying to unload some old gear that they do not want and or need anymore.

skonopa:

They are obviously talking about people that are selling 'new' gear in quantity - more to the point, gear that was obtained illigitmatly (sp?) You or me need not worry, as if you own it, it's yours to do what you please with, and Klipsch, Bose, etc. can't and won't do anything about it.