Heresy innards

spw1

I took the Heresy 1's apart for refinishing. I've done this once before many years ago. I noticed there was no batting inside. Is it my imagination or is there supposed to be some sort of fiberglass batting inside, if so what kind and where? Also since they're apart are there any mild refinements I can make before I reassemble them, ie caulk, braces, insulation, wires, ect...Not attempting to reinvent the wheel, just tweak.

Have new K-22's on the way from the factory to replace the ones my late dog took a leak on years ago. The old woofers were in good shape but these were the last two K-22's in stock so I hopped on them. I am having the speakers veneered in maple to match the new furniture, will try to post pictures when complete.

garymd thanks, I saw your zebrawood, very nice. The other day I was tossing LaScala vs. Cornwall about. I stepped off my unfinished basement in the new house (va near s.md)the main room about 20'X30'. Future downtown LaScalaville?

SPW1 and Gary, two things I would recommend. First, drill out the holes in the back board so that the screws that hold it on go through easily. This way, when you're screwing the back board on, the screws will only catch in the holes and pull it tight to the cabinet. Second, use a thin weatherstrip or seal on all the drivers and on the back board so that the cabinet is airtight. I know from my car audio days that when a cabinet is sealed properly, you should have a hard time pushing the woofer in, and it should take a few seconds to come back out after pushing it in.

Other upgrades would include better internal wiring, damping the mid horn by adding rope caulk, and possibly playing around with loose fill material. Again, from my car audio days, we used to put filler material in the cabinets and we used to say it fooled the woofer into thinking it was a bigger cabinet. This was supposed to have the effect of deeper bass.

Greg

I did everything Greg said except pull the woofer and squaker to seal them. I just tested and the woofers are slow to go in and slow to return, so I guess I'm OK there.

I can't tell the difference between before and after because I did the changes before I listened to them. However I don't find a great shortage of bass in them as everyone talks about. They are not even close to Khorns but very good for a smallish speaker.

Sometimes my wife comes in and can't tell which speakers are playing or which amp. She just likes sitting at her computer doing her course work and listening to the tunes. Yes we are older now we have separate computers.

Rick

This are couple of posts that Dean started a long time ago. They deal with rope caulking the horn and woofer. Between the normal bantering there is some information to consider.

I typed in Cornwall and these were on page 6 today, a few days or weeks from now they will be further back. Enjoy the read.

Hyde banished -- transforming the Cornwall

The Jekyll and Hyde Cornwall

Don

Heresys are designed to be more-or-less sealed cabinets, that is why there is no insulation inside them to "fool the woofer into thinking it is in a larger cabinet"...since the speaker is NOT ported, there is no need for this. You WILL find a paper-type insulation inside the Cornwall cabinet, though, since it IS ported. For all practical purposes, there is no need to add any more sealing in the Heresy cabinets than the standard edge seals of the horns and drivers from the plant. The woofer is a short excursion model, therefore it depends on overpressure provided by its rearward excursion, and underpressure provided by its forward excursion to keep its voice coil from "slamming" in the Heresy cabinet's "sealed" enclosure. The Heresy mid-horn is so small, that the simple act of snugly mounting its flange to the motorboard normally precludes any need for any damping material to be added to its lens...the flange's snug mounting providing this, instead. My advice is to just enjoy them as they came from the factory...unless you feel a need to rewire them with something other than the standard "zip-cord" they came with.

I'm with Andy. Mine sound great as is. I feel no need to fool with them. Also, they have better bass than everyone make them out to have. They are great "den" speakers with a low power tube amp. Mine will be in my son's room (soon to be den) with the fisher X-100-C (17 watts).