Center RC35 question

Nicolas

Hi guys,

I just have a question, I have bought a paar of RF35 and a center RC35, my receiver is a Denon AVCA10SE,

And my question, is normal that when Im trying to setup the center the sound of it is not the same as the rf35, the tonality is different !

Thanks for the help and sorry for my english

I noticed the same thing. I have RB35s and an RC35. When setting up with Avia, it is apparent that there is difference in the sound of the speakers. I imagine the difference would be even more pronounced with the RFs. I don' think this means there is a problem, it may just be that the difference in application and design just generates slightly different sound characteristics. Overall the speakers sound great together.

I have the RF5s with the RC35 and the AVIA sweep is extremely close in timbre. I first had the RC25 and there was a pronounced timbre change in the center with the pitch seeming lower than the RF5s. Now the RC35 does not have that timber shift in pitch. It sounds great.

Mark

It has been reported that a batch of RC-35s was defective. If there is a major difference in tone, you may have a defective center. I would consider a return if I was within a short time from the point of sale.

Long story short: The RC-35 should be close in tone (timbre) to the RF-35s and the RB-35s.

Bill

I have an RC35 in a system with RF5's and RS35's. I noticed that when I run the tones from AVIA the sound is somewhat different between the RC35 and the rest of the speakers. However, the tones generated by my 49TXi while it performs the MCACC setup sound virtually identical on all 5 speakers. In any case, my RC35 seems to sound fine during normal listening.

Dave

Thanks for your help all !

And know I found the problem:

I ask my resseler to try another RC35, and he give me a second one,

so today I try both centers, and they definitly didn't have the same tone !!!!!

My center sound strange, and the new one tone a lot more egal than the FR35, and now my sound are a lot better,more egal and I'm happy 1.gif

The one who said that some of centers are defeckt was right !

One more thanks for your HELP 2.gif

Best regards

Nicolas

Yep, a lot of us (myself included) went through the same thing with the RC-35. I wish someone would publish the serial #'s and batch info so folks would know which ones to avoid. Again, this was a problem that was apparent right away, and not something subtle.

The thing is, a horizontally-mounted, tapered-array center speaker will always sound at least a bit different than the 'matching' bookshelves or florrstanders because it's simply a different speaker....cabinet shape, driver arrays, mounted on a television....all contribute to the difference when at least listening to wideband 'pink noise' and such. But really, when you watch movies in which a key sound pans across the front, how well does it stay the same? I've found that with my RB-25 mains and my RC-25 center, it does extremely well. A good test for this is 'Finding Nemo", where the dialogue for key characters is constantly shifting across the front panorama as the fish move about. If I wanted it 'spot-on', I'd use another RB-25 as the center (something I actually contemplated for a while), but theRC-25 does a great job with it, so I'm happy.

• 8 months later...

You know.. I noticed this in my setup from the start (the RC35 having a totally different test tone from his Onkyo receiver). I thought it to be normal since it's a totally different speaker after all (compared to the RF35). I did all I could (increased treble, but this increase went to all speakers). What I ended up doing was to boost the volume in the center speaker through the receiver, but the sound has always been quite muffled. I hate to say this, but even my BOSE cubes that do surround (7.1 setup) have a closer test tone to the RF's than does the RC35 -- yes I will replace them cubes sooner than later.

I was watching a movie tonight when a friend asked if he could turn up the volume cause the voices seemed muffled. And this was one of his favorite movies, and he said something didn't sound right.

What's Klipsch's stance on this? If it's defective, why wouldn't they issue a recall of some sort? Klipsch customer support has always been reputable. I'll have to call tomorrow to see what they say.

-Hungmeister

I called Klipsch, and they said they aren't aware of any RC35 lots to be defective.

Now, I haven't been on this forum all too long (maybe half a year), but I know I've come across at least two different threads regarding defects and muffled sound coming from RC35s.

Anyway, I was less than impressed with Klipsch customer support. They referred me to my reseller to resolve the problem. I suppose this isn't outright bad customer service, but the fact that they seemed not to know about this problem has me wondering about how close they are monitoring this forum as a tool to improve their product and address problems.

I called my reseller and he agreed to have me bring my RC35 and do a A/B test. I'm almost certain my RC35 will be found bad. I'll update when this happens.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. These are my first Klipsch speakers, and I have nothing but good vibes about the RF-35, but being that it appears a bunch of RC35s were defective, and Klipsch not addressing it, I am wary of "upgrading" to other Klipsch speakers in the future. I'm still waiting for the day I'll find reason (and WAF says I can) to move to the RF7's or whatever their next flagship will be.

-Hungmeister

• 3 months later...

Hungmeister,

Did you ever do an A/B with your dealer? I am curious as to the outcome. I also have an RC35 that exhibits the same muddy, hollow sound that many have complained about. I purchased it from a fellow enthusiast upgrading to 7s. I am not sure what options I have... but would be curious if it is a bad Crossover or bad driver etc.

RayoVac