Dynaco El-84/6BQ5 ?

3dzapper

----------------

On 1/15/2004 3:37:21 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Does anybody have one of these that they can sell me? One of mine died and I am now running three and one JJ. It still sounds OK but.......

Gary, how about your "tube guy"?

An absolute match isn't necessary as I built in individual bias controls.

Rick----------------

If you can't find it from a Forum member, one of these two sites will have it for sure.

Upscale Audio or Antique Electric Supply

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Craig,

It does not say on the tube. They were made in the USA. In addition to that they say:6BQ5, Dynaco, 33, 33, 79, and E over N.

Tom,

I have several sets of Russians. They do sound good. I've got EHs in my HF-81 which is going on ebay soon and some EL-84M/7189s I got from Lithiuania which sound great in the 299b.

Rick

Way back when, a buddie of mine was trying to troubleshoot some problem with a car cassette deck.

He's probing around with a cheap Micronta rat shack 12 volt supply for some reason, and hits a cap rated lower than 12 volts.

Ka-bang!! About as loud a good firecracker.

Big white cloud, wadding everywhere, and he's got cap gunk on himself.

I couldn't help but laugh.

We victomized a Kraco "Sound Exploder" car amp once.

(Remember those..)

One side is fried. So OK, we pull the cover on the thing, and pull the heat sink off the little transistor, letting it free-air.

Then we proceeded to find as many speakers as we could find to hook up to the existing working side of the amp.

High efficiency woofers, car subs, car speakers, home speakers, speakers with the cones frapped, we didn't care.

Pretty soon the little rat shack 12 volt supply keeps kicking it's breaker, so we moved on to a good car battery.

We managed to parallel wire 12 speakers to that one side of that Kraco amp before the little transistor's die face went crack with a little "Tink!" with a nice wisp of white smoke.

It kinda impressed us, at the time.

We always tortured electronics to kill boredom in those days...