2A3 amp for Khorns

Brap

Well, thanks to all for their great support. I have narrowed it down to:

Bottlehead Paramour

LadyDay+300b

Welborne 2A3 mono's

A. Colin Flood has written reports regarding the Bottleheads and I'm impressed.

Any of your thoughts are appreciated on who's ruinning these or who has heard them

Thanks!

Brap

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What speakers are you running? (edit- Khorns..ok) Listening tastes? Music? Size of room? Associated gear?

As for the 2A3 set, the Paramour is a good price point product. Personally, I would aim higher here. The difference would not be subtle as the outputs on the Paramour or OK but do not take being pushed nearly as much as others. It does have some upgrade packages including MQ iron but then the price really starts to climb.

As for the Welborne 2A3, I would hold off here too. I have not read a ton of positive on the 2A3 Monos yet and one of the forum members that got a pair has not been as happy as he would have liked. The reason for this is still a mystery but more will be known in upcoming days. Hold off just a few weeks on this one to find out more. There is VERY little info on the reaction concerning the Welborne DRD done with the 2A3.

It sounds like you want new. USED is a great option as well.

One of the BEST deals used has to be the Wright Sound WPA 3.5 Monoblocks. Why? They sound very nice mated with Klipsch. Secondly, they can be sold for the SAME PRICE you paid in less than 24 hours via Audiogon. In essence, it is like renting a pair of 2A3 Monos to see how you like them and getting your money refunded minus shipping! PRice? Usually in the $900 area, more with better tubes.

kh

When it comes to SET be patient and pay very close attention to Kelly and others on this forum. These guy's know this stuff very well. I've heard the Paramours and really would not go that route. To get all there is to offer out of SET it takes some quality parts and circuit design. Don't cut yourself short here.

Craig

Listening tastes -- mostly anything, but recently listening to a lot of Sheffiled labs CD's. If I had to choose a category. mostly jazz and blues. However, with that said, I truly enjoy some good old Roger Daltry on occasion, Dooobies live, etc.

Khorns, but have a pair of Forte's I would compare also.

Room size to be determined. New home and the basement 2 projects away. Will have a minimum of 18' x 25'.

Initially, need to stay with my Carver C-1 pre-amp.

Sony DVP-S7000 CD player.

Also, I sure would like to build these amps instead of assembled.

Your comments are appreciated!

Thanks

Brad, sounds like a nice room you've got there. Definitely, the Klipschorns would do well in that room.

I've owned a pair of Wright 3.5 WPA's (on Kelly's recommendation) which were USED, and they sounded fabulous. To get the most from them, I'd mate them with a nice tube pre-amp, either Wright or similar. I can't vouch for how the Carver would sound, but in the SET set-up, a tube pre-amp is really recommended, esp. one that is tube-rectified. They don't have to cost much ... Search on "mobile homeless" and "pre-amp"... He's posted a TON of suggestions in this area.

Brad,

Your tube amp ideas a couple days ago were much better. What made you change and decide to go the low-watt route?

You are going to be in a substantial-sized room and your listening tastes are not cocktail music. Klipsch recommends 20 watts *minimum* for all their Heritage speakers. You can hear all the notes on a CD with one watt, but the notes aren't going to sound the same as if you've got some power behind them. When you read about SET people running out of their rooms because they can play it so loud they can't handle it, it's because a law watt amp sounds bad when it is driven beyond its design. It's not the volume that sets them fleeing away, it's the distortion.

If you do get a low-watt amp, what will you buy for your second amp?

----------------

On 1/16/2004 2:21:45 PM paulparrot wrote:

Brad,

Your tube amp ideas a couple days ago were much better. What made you change and decide to go the low-watt route?

You are going to be in a substantial-sized room and your listening tastes are not cocktail music. Klipsch recommends 20 watts *minimum* for all their Heritage speakers. You can hear all the notes on a CD with one watt, but the notes aren't going to sound the same as if you've got some power behind them. When you read about SET people running out of their rooms because they can play it so loud they can't handle it, it's because a law watt amp sounds bad when it is driven beyond its design. It's not the volume that sets them fleeing away, it's the distortion.

----------------

Thanks Sir Parrot, you just made me $20 richer.

WEll, of the kits, the Welborne DRD seems the most intriguing. But wait up a bit as there will be some testing of the 2A3 Monos with some more ears and gear hooked in the stream. We'll know more very soon.

Bottlehead is coming out with a NEW amp kit called the Bottlehead PARADOX. See pictures and links here:

www.magnequest.com

This is an amp that will be using the MQ Parafeed TFA-2004 output and a new custom choke from MQ. While it will have SS rectification, it will have some tricks there to make it sound smoother. It will also be able to be made into a 300B OR a 2A3. Read about it in that link from the pic on the MQ page. That system got a BEST IN SHOW at the 2003 VSAC from Positive Feedback Online. Dont know much about it beyond that.

bottlehead_paradox_bl.jpg

----------------

On 1/16/2004 2:38:47 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I was the sucker. I thought you had given up that kind of post as it was like banging a gong, especially since he came in the thread asking for advice on which 2A3 SET amp to get, not whether to BUY a SET amp or not. You win some you lose some.

----------------

Heh!

To make up for your loss, just charge a rent to the hobo who now resides in your boat!

Mobile,

Thanks for the post on Paradox. I haven't been looking online much and hadn't seen that one. Intriguing offering from the good doctor.

Brad,

I think you've gotten some good advice on Wright 2a3's. I listen to a pair with Khorns and to my ears they sound fabulous. The Paramours are probably the best in bang for the buck entry level 2A3 and a good bet if you haven't heard (and don't have the opportunity to audition) low powered SET with your speakers. Mobile's recommendation on Wright is also very well taken because you could buy used and resell quickly to recover your investment if not pleased with the results.

----------------

On 1/16/2004 2:38:47 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I was the sucker. I thought you had given up that kind of post as it was like banging a gong, especially since he came in the thread asking for advice on which 2A3 SET amp to get, not whether to BUY a SET amp or not. You win some you lose some.
----------------

I would have let it go, actually, if he hadn't made a post two days ago with good-powered tube amp options. All of a sudden the power dropped by 90% or whatever. I don't want him to make a bad choice based just on some bad advice. If he is bound and determined, that's a different matter.

Damn!! You folks are so kind!!

The reason for the power drop is reading mobile homeless review of a 2A3 and Colin Floods with Khorns.

Granted, the headroom may be compromised and I'm not going to be removing wallpaper, just listening.

I still want to assemble these myself too. Maybe a pair of Ladyday+ is the answer?

Having built both kit and one off custom 2A3, I can say there is no correct answer. The Paramours are marketed as a entry level and low price. These benefit from better iron and caps but are not bad in their stock form. These I build as mirror images and with a lot of polishing. So you can even tweak the standard kit for little or no extra money.

paramours_500.jpg

You can easily double the money spent for better units. I have at least that in these custom 2A3 I did. These actually use the MQ TFA-204 output iron under those polished aluminum covers.

2A3set500.jpg