Help with Classical Music choices.

boomac

Please add me to the "thanks for the recommendations" list. I am just barely coming out of the stage of classical music listening where you have 5-10 different selections and merely rotate them in and out when you're in the mood. The cd "Classical Music For Dummies" was a big help for me. Now I can actually differentiate between some of the composers and have some favorite conductors and musicians.

I particularly enjoy listening to the classical music PRI radio program "From The Top" with Christopher O'Riley. It's broadcast on a local Los Angeles classical music station (KMZT, 105.1) Sunday mornings at 8:00am. The enthusiasm and energy of the young musicians is great, and the show is very educational to boot. My 9yo son and I listen almost every week while eating breakfast. Unfortunately breakfast only lasts about half the show, then my son is wanting to go watch classical cartoons.

Chris

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GFH,

"If you look at my cd collection again, youll find ..."

OK - I am off to get my eyes tested. sorry about that - missed them completely - will teach me to scan through lists!!

My eyes are so bad these days - I must stop killing kittens!!

There is a great richness to the selections mentioned in this thread and a great display of forum members' knowledge about classical music. However, it might be difficult for someone not familiar with classical music to know where to start. GaryMD and I are working our way through a list of works which I thought might provide a semi-organized start to achieving that purpose -- just a beginning, of course.

Our approach is to pull out the score (I have over 100 scores handy, mostly Dover paperbacks) and go over important points to focus on like key instruments, obvious organizational landmarks, etc. Gary reads music quickly and has been very attentive to instruments in all his non-classical listening, so he's well ahead in this approach. I use the score for visual reinforcement of the appearance of specific instruments and passages, and it seems to work. (I believe composers' expertise in writing for instruments is an important part of how well they do it.)

Below is the list of works and brief descriptors we're using, offered as suggestions for those who might like to consider them.

Our goals are:

Familiarity with works mentioned on the Klipsch Forum, e.g., by MaxG, ChrisK, Paul Parrot, others

Increased familiarity with instrumental and orchestral sounds and effects

Increased familiarity with the structure of works

Increased familiarity with specific great works and composers

The following is the list, which we're half-way through. The one-phrase descriptions are mine alone, so take with a grain of salt!

*1. Symphony No. 45 in F♯ minor, Farewell, last movement , 1773, by Josef Haydn (1732-1809)

o Clever instrument-by-instrument exits, clear demo of orchestration and diminishing orchestral texture

* 2. Queen Mab Scherzo, from Romeo et Juliette, 1839, by Hector Berlioz (1803-1869)

o Extraordinary, very quiet but fascinating fantasy piece, remarkable orchestral detail

* 3. Jupiter and Mercury, from The Planets, 1914-1916, by Gustav Holst (1874-1934)

o Powerful and fascinating composition, imaginative orchestration

* 4. Hebrides Overture (Fingals Cave), 1832, by Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847)

o Masterpiece of evocative themes, orchestration, and scenic tone-painting

*5. Toccatas in F and D minor, Passacaglia in C minor for Organ, by Johann Sebastian Bach

o Mighty organ works demonstrating low 16-ft. C (32.7 Hz) and D (36.7 Hz)

* 6. Praeludium from Sonata No. 1 for Solo Cello 1720, by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)

o Six very absorbing and dazzling sonatas for only a single instrument, no accompaniment needed

* 7. O Fortuna, from Carmina Burana, 1837, by Carl Orff, German composer (1895-1982)

o Powerful, primitive-sounding vocal and orchestral and writing, heavy on percussion

* 8. Symphony No. 5 in C minor (four movements), 1806, by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

o Quintessential symphony powerhouse, grand philosophical theme; all movements reward study

* 9. Symphony No. 3 in C minor, 1886, by Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921)

o THE work for symphony and organ, with exciting, massive orchestral, tonal, and organ effects

*10. Overture (1826), Ye spotted snakes, and Nocturne (1843), from Midsummer Nights Dream, by Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847)

o Gossamer, lively, fairy-tale-like music; overture a work of genius by 17-year old composer

*11. Symphony No. 4 in A (1833), the Italian, by Mendelssohn, his best-known

o Especially tuneful, vigorous, interesting instrumental detail

12. Semiramide Overture (1823) by Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868); brilliant comic opera music

Les Préludes (1854) by Franz Liszt (1811-1886); tone-poem with imaginative orchestral effects

13. Der Freischutz Overture (1821) beginning; Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826): great french horns

Swan of Tuonela (1911), Jean Sibelius (1865-1957): great work for english horn and orchestra

Sinfonia Concertante, Violin and Viola (1779) first movt, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1754-1791)

o These will increase familiarity with the french horn, english horn, and violin versus viola.

14. Moldau (1874), by Bedřich Smetana (1824-1884)

o Famous, tuneful, very colorful work a tone poem with a program, like Liszts Les Preludes

15. Symphonies No. 9 (New World) and 8 (1893 and 1890) by Antonin Dvořák (1841-1904)

o Selected movements, by Czech composer who taught composition in NYCity in 1892-1895

o From the New World has evocative, American, woodland-scene-like effects

16. Symphonies No. 4, 5 and 6 (Pathetique) (1878, 1888, and 1893) by Peter Iyich. Tchaikovsky (1840-1893)

o Master of melody and impassioned, raw emotionality

17. Peludes to Lohengrin Act I (1848) and Parsifal (1882) by Richard Wagner (1813-1883)

o Ultimate master of orchestration, orchestral power, and operatic drama

18. Symphony No. 2 (Resurrection) and Kindertotenlieder (1895 and 1902) by Gustav Mahler (1860-1911) selected movements

o Master of beautifully orchestrated, deeply emotional works using great melodies, musical parody and grotesquery to create multiple layers of mysticism, imagery, and personal reference

19. Firebird (1910) Petrushka (1911) & Rite of Spring (1913), ballets by Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971)

o Vividly orchestrated, rhythmic, early 20th century cutting-edge works. Rite of Spring began the modern era in classical music with a riot at its premiere in March 1913

20. Bolero (1928) by Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)

Scheherazade (1888) by Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov (1844-1908)

Sorcers Apprentice (1897) by Paul Dukas (1865-1935)

o Famous, imaginative, colorfully orchestrated works

Follow-up extending above selections:

Beethoven symphonies nos. 3 (Eroica), 7, and (?) 9

Beethoven overture, e.g., Egmont or Coriolan

Beethoven concerto, e.g., no. 5 (Emperor) or 3 or 4

Schubert lied example, e.g. Fisherweise

Schumann, selections from symphonies 2, 3, or 4; Liederkreis Op.39

Smetana, Overture to the Bartered Bride

Wagner, something from the Ring operas, e.g., Entrance into Valhalla, etc.

Mahler, symphony no. 4

Larry - that's quite a list you have there and contains a reasonable balance (bit Mendellsson heavy maybe - not a bad thing - at least you will get a good grip on the master of strings). Maybe introduce a few more concerto's later - Brahms Violin and Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano spring to mind (often - as it happens).

Actually there are several pieces in the list I am not familiar with, or may not be - its difficult with Hadyn - he seemed to turn out a symphony a week.

I was struck by the phrase "Increased familiarity with instrumental and orchestral sounds and effects"

Bengamin Britten did a series of Young persons guide to the Orchestra - many of which are narrated. It is an excellent introduction to the sound of the various elements of the orchestra.

A quick peak at Naxos yielded a lot of possibilities. I would suggest the following as a start point (the music is wonderful) and it cheats nicely by introducing 2 other composers.

8.550499 PROKOFIEV: Peter and the Wolf / BRITTEN / SAINT-SAENS

Despite the fact that I have this CD I cant for the life of me remember whether this one is narrated or not (I think not). I have something similar on vinyl narrated by a terribly nice chap from the BBC whose name eludes me at the moment.

Memory lapses aside these are a lovely way of relaxing and learning at the same time. I would like to stress relaxing (that sounds like an oxymoron if ever there was one). It does seem like your method is rather laborious and studious. Whilst that is to be commended dont forget to enjoy the music....

----------------

On 1/19/2004 10:18:31 AM maxg wrote:

GFH,

"If you look at my cd collection again, youll find ..."

OK - I am off to get my eyes tested. sorry about that - missed them completely - will teach me to scan through lists!!

My eyes are so bad these days - I must stop killing kittens!!

----------------

Hahahahahah, no problem buddy1.gif Think of all those poor kittens youve slaugthered15.gif

OK - for a rather better approach than the hodgepodge here:

Go to www.naxos.com

Select learning zone / A to Z of classical music / Build a classical collection / Next.

You have 120 recommendations which a cursory glance through looks very well balanced indeed.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 11:09:45 AM maxg wrote:

GFH,

Good news (ish) on the eyes front. I was working purely from your CD list and not your SACD list - I didnt realise both were yours. TGFT I was beginning to think I had lost my mind....and was I wrong??

----------------

Thats good to hear1.gif I am about to drain Tower records of thier SACD's here in a week or so, im going to put in a big order for about 20+ SACD's and take advantage of thier vast selection and free shipping. Man i love SACD, its so rich and warm and dynamic, they just sound so darn good!!! Going and listening to CD's, you can tell the diffrence, the CD's sound brighter and sometimes congested. But there are some really nice mastered CD's that sound pretty darn good.

You have to understand that someone with virtually no background in classical music cannot just take a huge list and get anything out of it.

I've been lucky to have Larry help me along and trust me, I'm very much a beginner. What we've achieved in about 10 - 1 hour sessions have helped me to understand how to read a score, differentiate between instruments and understand how a piece is written.

I'm not quite at the point where I can recognize the difference between all the great composers but hopefully I'll get there.

Take a careful look at Larry's post and recommendations. It may be very helpful to those truely interested in learning which was sort of how this thread started.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 11:03:29 AM maxg wrote:

Larry - that's quite a list you have there and contains a reasonable balance (bit Mendelssohn heavy maybe - not a bad thing - at least you will get a good grip on the master of strings). Maybe introduce a few more concerto's later....Hadyn - seemed to turn out a symphony a week....

Bengamin Britten did a series of Young persons guide to the Orchestra - many of which are narrated. It is an excellent introduction to the sound of the various elements of the orchestra....I would like to stress relaxing (that sounds like an oxymoron if ever there was one). It does seem like your method is rather laborious and studious. Whilst that is to be commended dont forget to enjoy the music....

----------------

Max,

Thanks for the comments. Mendelssohn was a great writer for woodwinds and voice as well as strings, so he serves up good examples for it all. I agree about the concertos -- as I told Gary, this is a "living document" to which I am frequently adding more examples for listening.

While I mostly agree about the later Haydn symphonies, one cannot go wrong with the very entertaining Nos. 6, 7, and 8, the "Morning" "Noon" and "Evening." Those might be a rewarding early disc purchase, and all three can often be found on a single disc. I chose the "Farewell" because one can easily hear individual instruments and what their departures do for the sound...of course, having the score helps....

The Britten Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra is very good, as is the Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals and the other I think you had in mind. My purpose is to show how instruments are used in more every-day works.

In fact, the main purpose of this approach is HOW to listen, admittedly laborious in the short term. But, I send Gary home with records, NOT with the scores, heh heh.

The Classical Music for Dummies CD sounds very interesting, Chris.

Larry

----------------

On 1/19/2004 11:57:45 AM larryclare wrote:

The Classical Music for Dummies CD sounds very interesting, Chris.

Larry

----------------

The Classical Music for Dummies book (IDG PRESS) is actually a very good guide to the available field of recordings. Their recommendations point to well interpreted, sonically clear recordings.

Here are a couple of CD's that remain among my most often played.

Bach: B Minor Mass: Monteverdi Choir

Virgil Fox: Digital Fox (for the Toccata and Fugue in d mol as well as the Toccata Adagio and Fugue in C ... monster piece THE most beautiful Adagio.. I swear).

Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit : Martha Argerich (anything piano with her name on it is good). A VERY well done interpretation of this ultra-virtuostic piano piece.

Rachmaninoff: Corelli Variations, Vladimer Ashkenazy at the piano. (London)

Rachmaninoff: The series of piano concertos preformed by Zoltan Kocsis w/ the San Francisco Symphony. very nice.

Rachmaninoff: Vespres, op. 37. The Choral Arts Society of Washington w/ Mstislav Rostropovitch as conductor.

and lastly (at least for now)..

Arvo Part: Te Deum. A modern choral work performed by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir and the Tallinn Chamber Orchestra (BMG classics, ECM 1505, 78118-20003-2, 1993)

this last piece of choral music will bewitch you. It just draws you in and leaves you thinking 'My God what a beautiful sound'.

If you wish to sample choral music, and I golly gee do hope you do, anything put out by the Robert Shaw Choral, or Chanticleer, or King's College Choir (Stephen Cleobury, conductor) is a good bet.

enough for now,

Forrest

Max,

After Larry and I finish a particularly long symphony for example, we spend a session sitting back and just enjoying the music. It's on my lunch break and sometimes that's all I can handle.

I can tell you honestly that I enjoy the music much more having done the homework beforehand, laborious as it may seem to you. It's actually very interesting and helpful. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but that is what Larry's trying to do. I was never a classical music fan but I'm beginning to enjoy it much more now. Not everyone can just pick up a cd and suddenly begin to enjoy classical music for the first time in their life.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 12:56:56 PM Woodog wrote:

Here are a couple of CD's that remain among my most often played...Bach: B Minor Mass: Monteverdi Choir....

Virgil Fox: Digital Fox (for the Toccata and Fugue in d mol as well as the Toccata Adagio and Fugue in C ... monster piece THE most beautiful Adagio.. I swear)....

Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit : Martha Argerich (anything piano with her name on it is good). A VERY well done interpretation of this ultra-virtuostic piano piece....

Rachmaninoff: Vespres, op. 37. The Choral Arts Society of Washington w/ Mstislav Rostropovitch as conductor....

If you wish to sample choral music, and I golly gee do hope you do, anything put out by the Robert Shaw Choral, or Chanticleer, or King's College Choir (Stephen Cleobury, conductor) is a good bet.

enough for now,

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

Thanks very much. I've been wanting a good Mass in B Minor, and, with finally a good recommendation, I just now bought your rec. What CD brand and how do I find the Virgil Fox? Many on the Forum have mentioned him, and it's time for me to do it. I don't recall having heard the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C.

Also, while you're at it, do you have a recommendation for a good Brahms Requiem? Anyone else -- Max? I have the old Klemperer LP album with Schwarzkopf and Fischer-Dieskau which I don't find exciting, and a 1977 von Karajan.

The Rach Vespers haven't ranked as high with me, and I've heard it live and have a Rob't Shaw CD. The Rach I find VERY impressive is the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, by Charles Bruffy and the Kansas City Chorale on Nimbus. Yeah, I know, Kansas City is a surprise, but the group sounds very very good, and the "Protodeacon" (?) is sung by a Father Andre Papkov, an apparently well-regarded soloist in Russian Orthodox music in the U.S. and Moscow. Sounds authentic to me, and what do I know?

I'll think about the Ravel, may give it a try.

Larry

----------------

On 1/19/2004 3:11:48 PM larryclare wrote:

----------------

On 1/19/2004 12:56:56 PM Woodog wrote:

Here are a couple of CD's that remain among my most often played...Bach: B Minor Mass: Monteverdi Choir....

Virgil Fox: Digital Fox (for the Toccata and Fugue in d mol as well as the Toccata Adagio and Fugue in C ... monster piece THE most beautiful Adagio.. I swear)....

Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit : Martha Argerich (anything piano with her name on it is good). A VERY well done interpretation of this ultra-virtuostic piano piece....

Rachmaninoff: Vespres, op. 37. The Choral Arts Society of Washington w/ Mstislav Rostropovitch as conductor....

enough for now,

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

Thanks very much. I've been wanting a good Mass in B Minor, and, with finally a good recommendation, I just now bought your rec. What CD brand and how do I find the Virgil Fox? Many on the Forum have mentioned him, and it's time for me to do it. I don't recall having heard the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C.

Also, while you're at it, do you have a recommendation for a good Brahms Requiem? Anyone else -- Max? I have the old Klemperer LP album with Schwarzkopf and Fischer-Dieskau which I don't find exciting, and a 1977 von Karajan.

The Rach Vespers haven't ranked as high with me, and I've heard it live and have a Rob't Shaw CD. The Rach I find VERY impressive is the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, by Charles Bruffy and the Kansas City Chorale on Nimbus. Larry

----------------

Ha! I am totally unfamiliar with Rachmaninoff's Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, so I'll be looking that one up. Rachmaninoff is great winter music. I'm currently learning two preludes, Dminor from op. 23 and the G#minor from op. 32.

Andras Schiff also has the complete Bach Preludes and Fugues for the clavier out on London records. Superb! His recording of the Mendelssohn Songs without Words (various ones) on London are also magnificent.

ok.. I went off on a tangent... to the question at hand....

the Virgil Fox CD, Digital Fox (the first direct to Disc digital (classical music) recording in the U.S. (or so it claims) is on BainBridge, 1983. It is probably out of print, but it shows up on Ebay from time to time.

there are other works besides the 2 Bach works on this disc, but those two are the gems. I have to admit that Fox's interpretations are overly 'romantic' vs. 'pure baroque', but goodness his playing is sweet.

As for the Brahm's requiem, John Elliot Gardiner has a decent interpretation out.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 8:52:20 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

Ha! I am totally unfamiliar with Rachmaninoff's Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, so I'll be looking that one up. Rachmaninoff is great winter music. I'm currently learning two preludes, Dminor from op. 23 and the G#minor from op. 32.

the Virgil Fox CD, Digital Fox (the first direct to Disc digital (classical music) recording in the U.S. (or so it claims) is on BainBridge, 1983. It is probably out of print, but it shows up on Ebay from time to time.

there are other works besides the 2 Bach works on this disc, but those two are the gems. I have to admit that Fox's interpretations are overly 'romantic' vs. 'pure baroque', but goodness his playing is sweet.

As for the Brahm's requiem, John Elliot Gardiner has a decent interpretation out.

----------------

OK, great. I found one Fox CD when I picked up the B minor Mass -- it has the Toccata in D Minor but not the C-major item. I have the Biggs recording of that, which maybe will do. I've never heard any Fox recordings, as I said.

Do you think the Gardiner is special, as opposed to, well, merely decent? Wolfram mentioned the Gardiner, too, and the Herreweghe (not known to me). I.e., will I be captivated by either of these? Please let us know what you think of the SJChrysostome --

Larry

----------------

On 1/19/2004 10:36:24 PM larryclare wrote:

----------------

On 1/19/2004 8:52:20 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

----------------

OK, great. I found one Fox CD when I picked up the B minor Mass -- it has the Toccata in D Minor but not the C-major item. I have the Biggs recording of that, which maybe will do. I've never heard any Fox recordings, as I said.

Do you think the Gardiner is special, as opposed to, well, merely decent? Wolfram mentioned the Gardiner, too, and the Herreweghe (not known to me). I.e., will I be
captivated
by either of these? Please let us know what you think of the SJChrysostome --

Larry

----------------

E Power Biggs is a 'big time' interpreter, that's for sure. John Elliot Gardiner is the same conductor as the B minor mass that you picked up. It is a fine recording, but then again it is the only one I have of the Brahms Requiem, and I'm rendered silly by the headiness of this beautiful, thick, exquisite choral work. The opening chorus gives me chills every time. Whenever I use the word 'decent' I usually mean 'high praise'. 2.gif

ciao!

Forrest

Larry,

good question. I admit my first recordings of the Brahms requiem were the above mentioned Klemperer and 1960s Karajan. Compared to those I found Gardiner's interpretation a bit 'lightweight', BUT it's some time since I have listened to it. I found that strange as I really like(d) period recordings of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. So I think it's time to get reacquainted with this particular recording. BTW: I was less 'disappointed' with the Herreweghe, but the same applies. If you wait a little, I'll give both discs a spin and report back (although involvement is a very personal matter indeed).

Wolfram

Sometimes I hate logging into here whilst in the office. I have the Brahms requiem on vinyl but I cant remember for the life of me which one. I have a sneaking suspicion its on DECCA but I'll have to check it out tongiht and let you know.

Typically its not on my organiser yet (this is becoming a more important task to complete), but, browsing through what is on there I do have Verdi's Requiem with Monserrat Caballe on Angel recordings, conducted by Sir John Barbirolli with the New Philharmonic Chorus and Orchestra. Its not a bad performance at all but the recording quality is not up to much sadly.

Listened to a selection of old favorites last night. I am beginning to compile a list of vinyl recordings I would recommend strongly to anyone who wants to get into classical.

Sadly I cant do the same for CD and SACD these days. I have plenty (40 odd SACD's and about 150 CD's of classical) but I just dont listen to them and cant remember which were good and which not.

Thanks, guys! I would like a Brahms R. that encourages me to come back to it.

Max, I don't have a perfect Verdi R., either -- my performance model is the old, grainy, mono Toscanini and no other versions have satisfied me.

Forrest, thanks for the big boost for Gardiner.

Wolfram, I'd be very happy to wait until you spin both.

Again, many thanks -- Larry