SVS 20-39 pc+ VS RSW15

johnnyglk

Has anyone compared these two subs........ These are the only two I am interested in, Because I already own the SVS, But always wondered if I am missing something by not getting the RSW-15. only because the rest of my stuff is reference 7 all the way around. with denon 3802. the thing is I have no lack of low freq at all, half way up it is very powerful and could not imagine needing more , but sometimes think it lacks real PUNCH for music. Movies I have no complaints about.

thanks

"<...>it is very powerful and could not imagine needing more , but sometimes think it lacks real PUNCH for music."

----------------

On 1/23/2004 1:52:23 AM Hyabusha wrote:

you should go with the Klipsch RSW-15 first.

----------------

And now, my answer:

Missing something, I dont think so too if you talk about how those subs sound. BUT, you talked about the punch for music and the RSW-15 is famous for its attack and punch. Ive never heard an SVS but I think that its why Hyabusha recommanded to you to go with the RSW-15 first.

Hyabusha, does the RSW-15 was more punchy than your SVS PC+ cylinder? I've read that many people find the RSW-15 more punchy and than some SVSs like the PC or PC+ line (could be too the CS or CS+) or even the PB1 / PB1+. But they said too that the RSW-15 has less power down low, in the 20s (not that the RSW-15 cant go there).

Still, IMHO, I would prefer a sub which can go flat in the 20s over a punchier sub which begins to drop off at 25-30 Hz.

Yes, the RSW-15 lacks below 25 hz. So It's your preference If you want loud punch bass, or deeper bass. Personally Id recommend the Definitive SuperCube Reference sub, because Its loud, and DEEP. I have two RSW-15's In front for loud bass, and the SuperCube In the back for the Deep rumble In back, so I could have the best of both worlds. 9.gif cya.

"< >Has anyone compared these two subs........ These are the only two I am interested in, Because I already own the SVS, But always wondered if I am missing something by not getting the RSW-15."

My question is why not consider the PB2-ISD?

I mean if you are thinking about having two subs? I imagine (I'm only surmising, I've never heard either sub) the PB2 might give the RSW a real run for it's money as far as punch for music is concerned and it's about half the price (retail).

I'm sure there are those on this forum who have heard both and hopefully will chime in.

----------------

On 1/23/2004 6:47:23 PM SteelerFan wrote:

"< >Has anyone compared these two subs........ These are the only two I am interested in, Because I already own the SVS, But always wondered if I am missing something by not getting the RSW-15."

My question is why not consider the PB2-ISD?

I mean if you are thinking about having two subs? I imagine (I'm only surmising, I've never heard either sub) the PB2 might give the RSW a real run for it's money as far as punch for music is concerned and it's about half the price (retail).

I'm sure there are those on this forum who have heard both and hopefully will chime in.

----------------

Steelerfan,

That's a very good idea. On a strictly objective basis, a PB2-ISD should perform better than a RSW-15. A PB2-ISD would offer only a marginal difference compared to what you have now though, I think the PB2-Plus would offer you the punch you're looking for. I say that because generally the higher you tune the more midbass you get and the more perceived "punch" there is. I've also done a little experimenting with my eq trying to mimic the upper end response curve of the RSW-15 graph from the old Hometheaterhifi.com review. It does added a ton of punch to my Stryke AV15's which are close to an EBS alignment, and this alignment has the least amount of punch. I saved it as one of my presets and kept it like that for a while, but to my ears keeping the response flat still sounds best. Sometime this weekend I want to play a little more and save a preset to have a curve that looks like an upside down catenary.

----------------

On 1/23/2004 6:47:23 PM SteelerFan wrote:

My question is why not consider the PB2-ISD? I mean if you are thinking about the RSW-15. I imagine (I'm only surmising, I've never heard either sub) the PB2 might give the RSW a real run for it's money as far as punch for music is concerned and it's about half the price (retail).

----------------

I can give you my impressions of the RSW-15 vs. the SVS PB2-ISD vs. the SVS 20-39PC+. I demoed a Klipsch RSW-15 for about a week prior to purchasing my SVS PB2-ISD, and I have heard both the 20-39PC+ and 20-39PCi (which I also own). In my opinion, the RSW-15 has more punch than the 20-39PC+ above 30hz, but the 20-39PC+ definitely has more punch down low. My PB2-ISD has more punch than the RSW-15 above 30hz (not a huge advantage but an advantage), and the advantage in punch continues down to the low depths. After all, this is the sub that the SVS founders labeled as a great "musical sub" on the SVS website. The PB2-ISD provides excellent punch for music, and it will also dig down nicely to 16hz with two ports plugged. Its the best of both worlds, and how can you beat the price.....

P.S. I just picked up a Denon 2900. The unit has incredible sound!!!

------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Samsung TXN3245FP

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC3II

Surrounds: RS35

Left Rear: RC35

Right Rear: KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD 9.gif