Pulling the trigger on a new pair of RB75's.

Merscruggs

I have been looking for the last couple of weeks for new speakers for music listening only, no home theater. Source is an Arcam CD72T, amp is a Conrad-Johnson CAV50. Music is classical, acoustic, blues and a little jazz. I've looked at EVERYTHING. I keep coming back to the RB75's. As this is a relatively new speaker, there isn't very much information on it. I have only heard it in the dealer showroom, not the best place to really listen. I believe you need to spend months listening to a speaker to REALLY know what it does well and what it doesn't do well. Is there anyone here who actually owns the RB75's and will you share your opinion of them? These are the last pair of speakers I intend to buy for quite some time and I want to get it right. What led me to the RB75's was the fact I own a pair of RF15's. As small as they are, I think they sound great with music. I imagine the RB75's should be a whole lot better. I don't have room for the larger models. My budget will allow more expensive speakers but why spend more if I keep coming back to the RB75's. I am also considering and have auditioned the Quad 22L's, the Meadowlark Kestrial 2's, the Polk LSi15, the Totem Staff and the Paradigm Signature 2. All of these are more expensive than the RB75's. Will I end up regretting passing up the Quad's are will I live happlier ever after with the RB75's? Sorry to sound so stressed, I just really want to make the best choice.

If you like the horn sound, buy the RB-75s and don't look back. The high sensitivity of the RB-75s will bring out detail that other speakers lack. The controlled dispersion pattern of the horn will make placement easier as will the front port.

There is no perfect speaker on the market. Every speaker is a compromise, so go with what you like and whatever meets your needs and makes you happy.

Bill

• Like 1

• 19 years later...
On 1/22/2004 at 5:28 AM, Merscruggs said:

I have been looking for the last couple of weeks for new speakers for music listening only, no home theater. Source is an Arcam CD72T, amp is a Conrad-Johnson CAV50. Music is classical, acoustic, blues and a little jazz. I've looked at EVERYTHING. I keep coming back to the RB75's. As this is a relatively new speaker, there isn't very much information on it. I have only heard it in the dealer showroom, not the best place to really listen. I believe you need to spend months listening to a speaker to REALLY know what it does well and what it doesn't do well. Is there anyone here who actually owns the RB75's and will you share your opinion of them? These are the last pair of speakers I intend to buy for quite some time and I want to get it right. What led me to the RB75's was the fact I own a pair of RF15's. As small as they are, I think they sound great with music. I imagine the RB75's should be a whole lot better. I don't have room for the larger models. My budget will allow more expensive speakers but why spend more if I keep coming back to the RB75's. I am also considering and have auditioned the Quad 22L's, the Meadowlark Kestrial 2's, the Polk LSi15, the Totem Staff and the Paradigm Signature 2. All of these are more expensive than the RB75's. Will I end up regretting passing up the Quad's are will I live happlier ever after with the RB75's? Sorry to sound so stressed, I just really want to make the best choice.

You still have the RB75's?

10 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

While the RB75s are spectacular speakers, and I'll bet he still has them, this thread is close to 20 years old, he may not see it.

I saw that. I figured I'd ask though. I mean he may not even be with us anymore either.

1 hour ago, badboyspack said:

I saw that. I figured I'd ask though. I mean he may not even be with us anymore either.

Click on a username and it’ll tell you when they were last on the forum.  In this case, nearly 16 years.