How much off MSRP?

yromj

Other than the obvious, Tax sales, Memorial day, Labor day, CHRISTMAS/HOLIDAY, and end of the year sales...

Ask them if it is going on sale at any better price in the near future. 5-10% is not unusual. More 15-20% if you buy more stuff along with it too. Also, if your able to write a check for it all today, sometimes a check/cash lets them "book it" quicker too. January and February are very slow months usually for Audio stores after the holiday. If you have developed a relationship with a good salesman, ask him at the end of the month if this helps him if you do it today.

Just be honest with your intentions if you ask him to make you a deal today and if it seems fair, you will go through with it too. Do not window shop, just looking, or say well I am going to go back home and look online for this too. (You can take an internet ad or someone elses ad in to compare, if this helps to get you down some and bargain.)

There is a time to be "just looking" and a time to bargain, go in and go for bear... but also hopefully go home knowing what you got is a fantastic system and your goning to enjoy it for years to come!

(My hats off to salesman in late Jan,,,,it is a tough job to have.)

New speakers are not used cars, and new stuff from an authorised dealer is not the same as b stock or previously enjoyed (used) gear.

Thanks for the info. I have a pretty good relationship w/ the guys I'll be buying the stuff from. I have always let them know up front when I'm looking, and when I'm buying. (They're working under different circumstances now, and this is the first time they've sold Klipsch.) I'm hoping for ~20% off MSRP. I'll be buying (at the least) a pair of RB-25s, stands, and an RC-25 all together. If they "sweeten the pot" enough, I'll also get a second pair of RB-25s for my surrounds. I plan on telling them this also.

John

No offense kids....but are you serious, go to best buy alot do we....

I did sales part time many moons ago, and working for an "Independent" stuff your 25%....you think it's "boxing day" everyday....besides 125% mark up

So tell me....do you pay the wages to the Salesman, to the CounterGirls($/hr)book keeping staff($)........

Forgot...Discount to you....power\electrical, phone...all employees.....shipping......

blah blah.......

doin pretty good eh....

----------------

On 1/23/2004 8:49:19 AM gcoker wrote:

20% off MSRP is a fair amount for both sides. Mark up on speakers is like furniture and Jewlery. There is a lot of mark-up.

----------------

Yeah, tell me about it. Case in point - last summer, I bought a new dining room table and 4 chairs. Full price would've been over $1200. I got it for around $500 complete - brand new (they had to order it in, the one they had on the floor was already sold)! I really did not even have to haggle. You know dang well the furniture store still made a profit on that!

About all that business about having to pay the staff, the power/water, building lease, etc - big deal!

I think it is very reasonable for a customer to at least try to strike a deal for less than full MSRP at a dealership/store (and this goes for anything - not just audio). After all, it is his money - he earned it - he can spend it however he wishes with whomever he wishes, within the law! If the seller is willing to make a sale, they may go along with it, and hopefully both buyer and seller come out happy. For an authorized dealer that does have a showroom and staff to maintain, I think about 20-25% is about as good you are going to get, but still be fair for both sides of the cash register. If they have older stock they want to get rid of (it cost's them money to maintain inventory), they may be willing to go even bigger, just to get rid of stuff tying up floor or storage space.

Another example. That B&K 7-channel amp that I am so proud of! I managed to get about 20% or so (+/- a % or two). I paid just a few dollars more than $3,000 for both the amp and three pairs of Monster Mi850 patch cables (normally about $100/pair). And this is from a Tweeter store! Not only that, but they also threw in one-year of no-interest financing (why empty my account of the entire $3,000 when I can use thier money for free 11.gif ).

Would depend on the dealer and probably how much competition he thinks he has for your money. I got mine at Sound Advice during one of those buy one, get the second one half off sales. They also gave me the center for 25% off. I had looked at them a few days before during another sale that wasn't as big. I'd made the decision not to buy them when I saw the ad in the paper for the bigger sale. Salesman told me he was hoping I'd come back. Tell him what he needs to do to get your money and hopefully he can convince his boss.

Sadly Sound Advice no longer carries the reference series Klipsch, only a local home theater installer carries them. If he is unwilling to deal next time I'm in the market I may have go with something else. 8.gif

• 6 years later...

If you buy a 5.1ch speaker system as a package most dealers will offer 30% - 40% off US MSRP.

Don't accept any thing less than 30% off US MSRP on a package deal from a klipsch authorized dealer.

I'm currently waiting for a klipsch Palladium system at 35% off $US MSRP from an Authorized Klipsch Dealer.