Help Needed Cornwall Biamp Crossover Modification

HornPenguin

I would like to explore the idea of biamping my Cornwall's. They have unmodified B3 networks. What I would like to do is modify the existing networks to allow the use of one amp for the woofer and a second for the mid and hi. I would utilize an active crossover set at the original crossover point. Has anyone had experience doing this that could help me with the crossover modification, or otherwise know what needs to be done and can help me out? I have been unable to find information on how to do this on the web and have not been able to search out any answers.

- Brad

Hi

You separate the Woofer part from the rest on the speaker crossover.

You run 2 wires that connect the woofer directly to the LF output amplifier. Meaning you donnot use the internal inductor of the woofer.

You keep the original network on the mid/tweeter so you have to run 2 other

wires from there to the HF output amplifier.

Best is that the output of the amps or active crossover is variable for adjudting the level right.

Im my Cornwalls I have installed double speaker lugs in the back t facilitate connections.

I use a marantz tube crossover. Fine if you have spare amps or like the improvisation otherwise I was not extremely thrilled.

In anycase it is easy to reconenct everything if you donnot like the result.

cheers

george

Dean,

If the components are connected like this:

preamp > crossover > amp1(tube) > speakers (mid, hi)

> amp2(solid) > speakers (low)

How would this setup affect the sound of the amps since there would be nothing between them and the speakers?

- Brad

----------------

On 1/23/2004 6:23:23 AM DeanG wrote:

Keep in mind that unless you run the signal through a tubed electronic crossover -- you will be giving up much of what you like about your new tube sound.

----------------

George,

Where is the woofer disconnect point?

By disconnection the woofer, does it leave the portion of the crossover in place that would roll off the frequency of the squawker where it used to cross over to the woofer, thereby creating an unwanted dip? Should the crossover effectively become a two way with full frequency extension on both the top and bottom, since the cross over/roll off would be handled from the active crossover between the two amplifiers?

- Brad

----------------

On 1/23/2004 9:26:34 AM vacs2000 wrote:

Hi

You separate the Woofer part from the rest on the speaker crossover.

You run 2 wires that connect the woofer directly to the LF output amplifier. Meaning you donnot use the internal inductor of the woofer.

You keep the original network on the mid/tweeter so you have to run 2 other

wires from there to the HF output amplifier.

Best is that the output of the amps or active crossover is variable for adjudting the level right.

Im my Cornwalls I have installed double speaker lugs in the back t facilitate connections.

I use a marantz tube crossover. Fine if you have spare amps or like the improvisation otherwise I was not extremely thrilled.

In anycase it is easy to reconenct everything if you donnot like the result.

cheers

george

----------------

If you use a active crossover, you won't need to use the passive networks.

That requires three amps of course.

You can use the mid and HF portion of the passive crossover, and run the active at bandpass for the mid and high section, and run the low pass section of the active to a dedicated woofer amp just connected to the woofers.

Or just build a passive network for the mid and tweeter horns, then you won't have to mess with the B3 networks.

Of course most active crossovers use opamps and if you want a all tube set-up that active will be right in-between the pre and amplifiers. That's why a tube active was mentioned.

It could get messy, sometimes maybe just a more powerful amp may cure the whole issue. I dunno.......